Definitely not Drum Corps...

Strangest Question Ever Fielded -

Summer 2002 (when the corps still owned their own buses) and I was pumping diesel into a Madison Scouts bus at a gas station in Concord, CA. The corps was at a social function with members of another corps so it was just me and the bus -

so.....this guy walks up having looked through the front window and seen the corps jackets hung over the seats all with the 'M' showing and asks "Are these guys a baseball team?"

Edited by notelvis

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised they don't ask if you do chain link.

I average a phone call a month at my office asking if I sell that stuff....every club and vendor does!

You'd think when people hear the outgoing phone message they might hear when I emphasise "serving the SPORT of fencing since 2001".....but no....they just sit there and wait for the beep.

If it's a kid who's interested in getting into the activity, or a parent who has a kid that's interested, then I have more patience and try to do the best I can to break it all down for them.

Well have you? Cuz I think that would make fencing more popular!

Came close once...fencing a friend in club and my blade broke on a parry...as I landed my riposte I remember thinking *man, that blade feels short*....it was then that I REALIZED the blade had broken and I had gone under the bib of Erik's mask, hitting him in around the base of the neck.

Fortunately, he had a few laters of material there, and the blade split and curled back along the groove for the wire, so he wasn't hurt, but I had nightmares that night.

And someone actually WAS killed on the stripin 1982....which is why we're such a safer sport now.

From Wikipedia:

"Vladimir Smirnov (May 20, 1954, Rubizhne, USSR - July 27, 1982, Rome, Italy) was a Soviet foil fencer.

Smirnov won the gold medal in individual men's foil at the 1980 Summer Olympics. He won the World Championships the following year.

During the 1982 World Championships in Rome, Smirnov was fencing Matthias Behr of West Germany. Behr's blade broke during the action. The broken blade went through the mesh of Smirnov's mask, through his eye orbit, and into his brain. Smirnov died nine days later. (The Times, 29th July 1982. pages 7, 12.)

Smirnov was kept on life support until the final touch of the final event was held, when he was disconnected from life support. He was kept alive because no one wished him to die during the Championships.

Smirnov's accident was the driving force behind the significant improvement of safety gear in fencing. Maraging steel blades (instead of the carbon steel ones of the day), kevlar (or other ballistic nylon) in the uniforms, and masks 2 to 3 times stronger than the one he wore, and other safety rules, all came about because of his death."

Why can't we just say it's a competitive marching band like activity that members have to audition for and tour the country during the summer performing at competitions?

Some people are so hopped up on how cool they are they use an over-complicated explanantion that leads to the questions they are sooo annoyed to have to answer. I'm sure we are all igonorant of something. Why do we have to act so put out when it comes to explaining our activity? Get over youselves.

And someone actually WAS killed on the stripin 1982....which is why we're such a safer sport now

We didn't "kill" anybody, but we kicked their butt's in Bejing, right ?