Shepard Tone

FTNK

With electronics coming into popularity it won't be long till we hear stuff like "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima" and "Different Trains" being blasted through speakers.

Well, the Penderecki piece, (which I just mentioned last week in the General Off-Topic Forum thread about bad tunes for ice cream trucks) was written solely for 52 acoustic string instruments.

I recommend this CD of Penderecki's works, including the Threnody, to anyone interested in his music. I've got it and it isn't easy listening. And, like John Adam's "On the Transmigration of Souls," don't listen to it in the dark before you go to bed. I made that mistake the first time I listened to the Adams' piece.

so it sounded like they just added new voices into the sound and slowly had them repeat.

and if not, there were some kind of repeats or other things in therethat sounded funny

That's an effect I've never heard before. It would definitely be a challenge.

Starts with highs, which decrescendo very slowly until the lows are "on top." If highs lower too quickly, it will sound like a normal drop out.

My high school tried a Shepard Tone in a show and it didn't work out that great, but a neat effect none the less.

My high school tried a Shepard Tone in a show and it didn't work out that great, but a neat effect none the less.

OMG, I love it!

[lol]