1999!

dugg

1999!

i was dreaming when i wrote this

so forgive me if it goes astray....... :rolleyes:

it's been almost a decade and looking through my world class lexicon i thought it prudent to pause and peruse some of the shows from 1999.

here at random are some of my favs.....

centerville:michael shapiro's homage to nina simone,a rich textbook for standard setting,fluid,bountiful,non-stop flag choreography!

lassiter:not since cecil b. demille.....talk about production!"wind and the lion" by mark sylvester and barry lloyd,flourishing, swirling golden sands,bedoiun drummers,georgous flags,shooting stars and wonderfull movement by carolyn crumpton.

center grove:austere,"bartok" ahead of the curve,ahead of the unaswered question.a divinely existential study in atonality,very,graham,very modern.

st. ann's:"carmen" by brian murphy,audaciously done in two acts,reaching it's target audience this bullseye of a production has drama,technique and emotion!

aimiachi:techno-colored "candide" indeed!magical eye candy,confection & confetti!sheer joy de vive and musicality make our garden grow with this fabulous production.still as refreshing today as it was in 1999!

pride:"beyond the rainbow"through the expansive gray sky and dark storm comes the sun and ultimately the rainbow.tension and release,one of the most poignant endings ever!another production that stands the test of time!

chimeras:"time to say goodbye".everthing i love...profound,intellectual,emotional and artistic.show this to your freinds who want to know what color guard is.

.......i was dreaming when i wrote this so sue me if i went to fast...... :tongue:

wgi is just a party with an ever-changing cast.

feel free to party like it's 1999 and add your own favorites or comments.......

Edited by dugg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would add the Sheboygan Buccaneers to my list of favorites from 1999. Incredible technique, a flurry of equipment with non-stop changes in mood and color, and the first use of a beautiful velvet floor. The only thing that makes me said about this show is that it was the last time we saw the Bucs!

......the sky was all purple there where people runnin everywhere..... :laugh:

everybody:"island of the sniggles",was a quirky,fantasy filled romp,using unique textures and shapes.extremely humorous,a much needed lighthearted look at the activity.

Edited by dugg

Rancho Cucamonga High School's "Devil Went Down to Georgia" production. Tons of fun for the kids - and 51/2' flag poles to boot!! : ) Some great choreography and one of the most fun 15th place guards I've ever seen.

Carroll High School - in the box, around the circle, and hitting every angle on the triangle. This show was a GE feast and had some great equipment writing. One of the MANY Michael Shapiro productions in 1999.

East Lake High School - "Dueling Banjoes" another Shapiro feast-for-the-equipment-lovers-eyes show. Loads of energy from the students and a brilliantly choreographed program.

Fantasia's Rite of Spring production........... is that one girl still marching??? The one who stares down the crowd? She's amazing... the whole show was amazing.

YES!

I would add the Sheboygan Buccaneers to my list of favorites from 1999. Incredible technique, a flurry of equipment with non-stop changes in mood and color, and the first use of a beautiful velvet floor. The only thing that makes me said about this show is that it was the last time we saw the Bucs!

How can you forget....the incredible winning show of the Emerald Marquis. After years of being the bridesmaid they finally got the gold.

in addition to listing your favorites from 1999 i pose this question:after almost 10 years of retrospective what has changed about the activity?good or bad?

what have we learned from the last 10 years?

where do we go from here?

what type of programming would you like to see in the next decade?

......yeah,everybody's got a bomb

we could all die anyday

but before i'll let that happen

i'll dance and spin my life away..... :laugh:

Edited by dugg

Funny you should ask..I was just thinking about this the other night.

Looking back at 1999 the activity has not changed as much as in previous decades. Compared to the changes between 79 - 89 and 89 -99 not much has really changed. I recently attended a show with someone I marched with who had not been to a show since 1998. She was amazed that the activity had not evolved more in her time away.

Most of the shows in the 1999 IW finals would still be competitive today. I think the biggest changes have been in IO and IA classes with a much higher level of design and technique taking place.

The biggest change that I have noticed is the tosses keep getting higher and a return to "tricks".

I was thinking the same thing. Watch Blessed Sac 89, which was groundbreaking at the time. It looks hopelessly dated now. By 99, just 10 years later, the activity had moved light years ahead. But here as we go into 09, the 99 groups don't look dated at all to me.

I think the biggest change in the last 10 years has been with the level of professionalism displayed by the top World Class members.

Going "all age" in 2000 certainly helped to spearhead this. How many of us were truly at our peak performance levels when we were 21? Being able to continue to grow and perform well into our 20's, 30's and even 40's has helped create detailed performances that keep evolving year after year.

I recently ordered St-Anns '99 show - and I have to say - boy was I disappointed with that one. In my opinion it just hasn't aged well. Chimeras on the other hand remains incredible.

Later,

Mike