1999!

dugg

I always thought that the first act of 1999 St Anns was a lot better than the second act. It is unfortunate that you only get to see act 2 on the video.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that the first act of 1999 St Anns was a lot better than the second act. It is unfortunate that you only get to see act 2 on the video.

hey Jeremy!

I hear that alot - wish I could see act 1 again. Act 2 - just doesn't hold up well - I don't know if it's the pacing, the staging or what - but I just can't get into it.

I do however have to give them mad props with coming out and performing 2 shows - I have trouble getting 1 clean :laugh:

later,

Mike

I agree - there just hasn't been quite as much change between 1999 to the present. I think Scholastic A and Open seen the most notable growth, but in terms of shows I'd rather sit down and watch 1997 or 1998 than watch 2007. In the scholastic realm, it seems the kids were pushed more and did more demanding things in the 1990's. Too many "safe" shows out there now. Hopefully 2009 will blow us all away with creativity : )

1999 Chimeras could easily make the top 5 (in my opinion) in 2009. A wonderful show. I'd love to see 1999 Alliance of Miami back on the floor too.. that show was just hot!

hey Jeremy!

I hear that alot - wish I could see act 1 again. Act 2 - just doesn't hold up well - I don't know if it's the pacing, the staging or what - but I just can't get into it.

I do however have to give them mad props with coming out and performing 2 shows - I have trouble getting 1 clean :tongue:

later,

Mike

did you know that wgi's color guard cheif judge jim mahoney assisted at st. ann's and is credited with cleaning those shows? :wub:

great reply's from our posters!thanks!

Before chiming in on this thread, I must confess that the only WGI show I attended in '99 was the Northeast Regional Finals in Rochester . . . and that was after a 12-year absence. It was also my husband's first-ever winter guard experience, and he loved it!

This was our introduction to Sonnor . . . and we've been fans ever since. As I recall, they did a program to Bach's St. Matthew Passion. For both my husband and myself, they were a notch above everyone else we saw (yet, inexplicably, did not place very high). Their dance execution flowed naturally, rather than looking stilted or forced the way so many other guards did, and their equipment work was among the most musical and interpretive of everyone we saw. And then their props -- paintings that were gradually unveiled as the show progressed -- looked like the real deal. Truly memorable!

Shenendehowa High School's "Psycho" show also made a big impression on us.

Another cool note: Watching the Northstar senior guard perform, I recognized an old Oakie pal of mine, Rick Petherick, who threw the highest rifle toss I've ever seen. It hit the gym ceiling, LOL! :tongue:

Hey Sue,

I think the things you noticed about Sonnor continue to this day. They have a tradition of strong dance training and musicality in their choreography that is not recognized as much as I think it should be by the judging community.

I am looking forward to seeing them again this winter.

Jeremy

Sonnor always impresses me with their attention to detail and nuance no matter what the music may be. I've been surprised by their low placements the past several seasons. I just don't get it. None the less!! They will always remain one of my top favorites - can't wait for 2009!

Sonnor always impresses me with their attention to detail and nuance no matter what the music may be. I've been surprised by their low placements the past several seasons. I just don't get it. None the less!! They will always remain one of my top favorites - can't wait for 2009!

Now you're just sucking up :inlove:

Hopefully you'll enjoy our 2009 production (and our 24th year at WGI!)

Later,

Mike

"Shenendehowa High School's "Psycho" show also made a big impression on us."

OH MY.... you are talking OLD SCHOOL Shenendhoah!! Only true Shen fans remember that show.... it gave me nightmares for about 4 years after I saw it in Dayton. One of my all time spooktacular favorites.

For me, it was as memorable as the old Lassiter.

And almost as memorable as the old Norwalk.

Might there be a video somewhere of this "spooktacular" Shenendehoah program from 1999??

I can't think of 1999 and leave out Franklin Central - those girls spun SUPER fast!

Edited by Will