Jim Ott's Music

Hey Al,

I believe Jim Ott also wrote "El Cid" for the 1980 season for Cabs. I remember in music camp the winter of the 1980 season Jim re-wrote "El Cid" while we were playing it for him. The man was amazing.

Jim Arranged for the Cabs in 1980, having been in the corps only a few years in 1980 I was not privy to where all of the arrangements came from. I know he did "Malaguena" & Evita, I will see if we still have the charts.

We only had a few wonderful months with Jim before we lost him to the auto accident.

One of my all time best drum corps experience was at our first winter camp in 80. Jim came in for the weekend, We were getting ready to play Flamenco cha cha and Jim stop Jimmy Russo from starting the tune. He picked up a baritone ran into line stood between John Devlin and myself to play the second baritone parts of Flamenco. After we were done he was grinning from ear to ear, He told me it was his life long dream to play that number with the Caballeros

Al,

I will never forget that either... One of those ONCE IN A LIFETIME EXPERIENCES!!!

I still miss him

RUMP :withstupid::worthy::worthy:

Geez Al... his lifelong dream was to stand between you and John Devlin? Why didn't he just stick his head in a running 747 engine? Same aural effect. John, anyway.

(before you get po'ed - I'm kidding - John and I go way back - I accidentally hit him square in the forehead with a flag pole in 1976. I think it might have resulted in his joining Cabs. (a little brain damaged, I believe.) (kidding again - mostly) :withstupid:

[/quote

Ray,

The flagpole incident had nothing to do with my leaving... It was funny... Painful but funny.

Imagine the loss of hearing he experienced that evening between me and AL.

You did get the brain damaged stuff right... If I wasn't, I would not still be doing this stuff with the Alumni..

Stay well Ray.. See you soon :worthy:

This is FANTASTIC that Jim's music will be saved and shared with many in the drum corps world...There is a video tribute to Jim on youtube from the Ott family collection of home movies and photographs that I took of Jim in our teen years before he became famous. . Jim would come to our house so he could arrange music using my piano at the age of 15. In the youtube video you can see Jim conductiing the Commodores during the concert portion of our show of his arrangment of "Georgie Girl" and other clips of Jim with Bonnie and family. Enjoy..