Auditioning for a Corp on Baritone

Brett

Well, Piper, all those fingerings are the same as a Bb horn... which is good..

However, Ab, Eb, low C#, and a few others use 3rd valve though. I spose you either don't play in those keys, or lip it down. Kinda like how you play quarter tones on a Bb horn...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fingerings posted are the ones I was aware of (not with any sort of speed though... yet)

Treble clef was mentioned... I can read in in (slowly) and if it was treble I'd expect it to be on Baritone, and that would be an auto-cut for me out of a corp. :/

Thanks for the help, glad to see I won't be cut for something I can't completely control :)

dude, if you are a bone player, just keep on the slide-fingering equivalencies. It is much easier than fingering-slide. (So says my euph player friend who tried it in jazz band and soon retreated to a valve trombone)

You might want to know that corps is always spelled corps and not corp.You are not going to work for anyone.You are going to be part of a corps/

you know bass clef. thats good, you just need to know the equivalencies, i'm a trombone major, and i marched in a div 1 corps. I know the corps i first auditioned for would have allowed me to audition on trombone... but i wanted to show off on euph... yeah my fingers weren't up to speed at all, and i got cut... they liked my sound, but didn't like how i couldn't do a chromatic scale.. whatever... i thought sound was more important in drum corps since if you don't have the fingers down by the end of spring training your pretty special..... basically its all about repetition.

the second corps i auditioned for only allowed auditions on non concert horns... aka, no trombones.. french horns, etc....

the audition was a bit easier... i got in and had a very successful season.

My advice... learn your scales and fingerings, practice sight reading, take your bone music and sight read through that.

I can guarantee everything will be bass clef,

if you play baritone in a corps, your gonna read bass clef, which isn't a problem for you.. honestly just practice fingerings, you don't need a horn, walk around school doing the fingerings down the hallway, yeah people will think you weird... oh well, you wanna march drum corps, that makes you 100 times more weird.

if you play baritone in a corps, your gonna read bass clef, which isn't a problem for you.. honestly just practice fingerings, you don't need a horn, walk around school doing the fingerings down the hallway, yeah people will think you weird... oh well, you wanna march drum corps, that makes you 100 times more weird BAD ###.

Well, Most baritone players read bass clef, same as trombone music exactly. However, many baritone players read treble clef, kinda like reading trumpet, but an octave down and on a baritone. Things wind up low in the staff, and below the staff, which is annoying sometimes. In my experience, usually music is offered in BC and TC. But I would say most baritone players read BC. If you were to play BC baritone, on a Bb horn (read in C when in bass clef) you would read it just like trombone, with that slide-valve chart. In TC, like trumpet an octave down. Now, I am curious as to how G Baritones do it. Mind shedding some light? Or any of the bazillions of people of people who played G baritone on this forum?

Not all trombone players play baritone in bass clef - I am clueless on a baritone in bass clef, I read treble clef with all button instruments.

In terms of G bugle, if it's in treble clef you just play the notes you see on the page. You see a G, it's open. A Bb - 1st valve. low Eb, 2-3. Don't overthink it and try to figure out the notes in relation to bass clef of Bb trumpet and all that. You'll just give yourself a headache.

I was lucky - my best friend in 7th grade played cornet, so I tought myself how to play a valve intrument in treble clef by hanging out with her.

I would suggest some Arben stuff and scale studies to get your fingers up to speed - it's just patterns.

My dad bought me a Cadets performance/warm up book. There's a lot of exercises in there I'll be working on as much as I can :)