Can DCA experience help me make it in DCI?

So I've heard any corp experience is good experience, but how much will it really help? I'm trying out for Alliance this December. I hope to march with them for a year or two and then go DCI until I age out, then of course go back to Alliance ;) I'm sure you guys can give me some helpful info about this, so anything you can tell me please reply, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys_ Hankins

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any experience in corps will be beneficial in DCI.

So I've heard any corp experience is good experience, but how much will it really help? I'm trying out for Alliance this December. I hope to march with them for a year or two and then go DCI until I age out, then of course go back to Alliance ;) I'm sure you guys can give me some helpful info about this, so anything you can tell me please reply, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys_ Hankins

I can only tell you that we have had many members leave us to march with DCI corps Cadets BD Crossmen Blue Stars Madison Boston. Etc.. we have had memebers come from Japan to Gain experience. So the answer is yes if you have the want to you will learn and will be able to do DCI.

I started with Empire in 2002.

I then went to two years of Division I with Capital Regiment in 2003-2004.

It was thanks to my pit tech, now percussion coordinator at Empire, Teddy Mascari, who put the idea in my head initially that I should go try out for DCI.

So yes, absolutely, you can start in DCA and go to DCI.

ABSOLUTELY...

You will be dealing with staff members who work both DCI and DCA and will give you the opportunity to improve your abilities through hard work, dedication and proper instruction. Although I always am quick to yell VIVA LA DIFFERENCE, this is one instance where drum corps is drum corps. And yes, DCA member corps have members with DCI eligibility left leave to perform with their chosen DCI corps and this is encouraged. Often - not only do they come back all the better for their DCI experience - they come back and eventually become excellent staff members themselves.

Tom Peashey

(and for Jami - nice post about Teddy... I'm Christian and Mason Mascari's Grandfather)

Edited by TomPeashey

No doubt.

Many of the DCA staff members you are going to encounter have large backgrounds in DCI if not direct involvement with DCI currently.

In geographical areas outside of the NE, seldom are you going to see the whole staff with DCA teaching experience .Many of them will only have DCI And Marching band backgrounds on their resume so you most certainly will see a lot of DCI influence in their teaching style.Alliance is a pretty young corps in comparison to the big boys out east who have years and years of vets coming on board as DCA instructors.

What this means to you is that the tools they are teaching you are going to carry over into your career with DCI if you give a year or two to DCA.

Alliance just won a world championship.You are going into a solid corps with good leadership and a positive attitude about drum corps.You will do well there.

Edited by camel lips

most definitely. i marched with many folks who cut their teeth in DCA, went on to top 12 DCI corps.

even better, they came back when they aged out!

CorpsVets has had people come and go from DCI quite often. We currently have CV alum marching at Teal Sound, Spirit, Pioneer, Phantom, Scouts, Memphis, and probably a few other places. Not to mention the people who have come to CV from places like Teal, Spirit, Southwind, etc.

DCA is a good place to start. Just make sure you go somewhere with good teachers and it never hurts to have a close relationship with a DCI corps like CV does with Spirit and Teal!

No question about it. DCA will most definitely help you prepare for DCI. I actually marched DCI first, but after marching 8 years in DCA, I can appreciate that it would have helped me in DCI.

Edited by CHRISP

I've marched with people that went on to march corps such as memphis sound, magic of orlando, pioneer, glassmen, *boston* and crown

*=edit because I'm smart and forgot Boston

Edited by AlbionNY Drum Line