Madison Scouts Going Latin Again

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't matter which show you preferred at this point

Most of what we discuss here on DCP doesn't matter in the grand scheme. Discussion happens.

I was talking to a guy I met at school who marched Madison last year, and this is what I gathered about their show:

Their drill: not the easiest in the world. I'm anxious to get the DVD and see if it's true there was really only one part in their ballad-less show where they stood still for a period longer than a couple seconds. Second, it was all above 180 besides the, as he referred to it, "lush hit" before the drum break, which I know isn't that special anymore with shows getting faster and faster (Cadets.)

Staff changes: only big change is in the visual staff. And from what I understand, is completely for the good. Apparently every day they had a beat down basics that really didn't improve their technique at all. Just had them busting ### for 30-60 minutes straight. And I guess their visual rehearsals weren't the most productive either. The design team and brass staff are still the same, and the color guard only saw minor changes. And with how much everyone talks about their guard being sloppy, I can't see how that is necessarily a bad thing.

I wish the DVD would include the Crossmen because I did not get a chance to see them this summer, and am really anxious to see what they did with the way you all hype it. Hopefully it will find its way on to a website or two where someone like me could get a chance to watch it.

Anyway, best of luck to both corps this summer. I imagine they will both be excellent programs and highly entertaining. I apologize for my interlude, you may now proceed to discuss the 2009 Madison Scouts show title like this thread was intended for. For now it's only a title. Let's hope we get some musical selections soon.

Man. I guess I'd still rather talk about "City of Angels."

**yaaaaawn**

Alas, the caricature goes on. I guess if Pioneer can live within their Irish fetish so can Madison live within their Latin/Mexican/Spanish fetish.

Regardless, it was pretty cool to see the Scouts back in finals this past summer.

i think in terms of caricatures "dcp posters making pissy comments whenever madison does latin" seems a lot more accurate than "madison always does latin" to me. try this out. go to corpsreps. search madison's history. look at what they have actually played through the years. latin themed shows are a small fraction of the whole, and they are mixed in with rock, pop, film scores, symphonic music, broadway, and non latin jazz (mainly big band, but several other jazz styles are represented as well). madison has a definitive style, but it's really big, loud, aggressive arrangements of music from eclectic sources, not strictly (or even mostly) latin jazz. when you pop onto a madison thread talking about latin jazz caricatures, you don't really sound very clever to anyone who has seen more than a couple of madison shows through the years.

i think in terms of caricatures "dcp posters making pissy comments whenever madison does latin" seems a lot more accurate than "madison always does latin" to me. try this out. go to corpsreps. search madison's history. look at what they have actually played through the years. latin themed shows are a small fraction of the whole, and they are mixed in with rock, pop, film scores, symphonic music, broadway, and non latin jazz (mainly big band, but several other jazz styles are represented as well). madison has a definitive style, but it's really big, loud, aggressive arrangements of music from eclectic sources, not strictly (or even mostly) latin jazz. when you pop onto a madison thread talking about latin jazz caricatures, you don't really sound very clever to anyone who has seen more than a couple of madison shows through the years.

Bam... :sleeping:

Thank. God.

:sleeping:

Balance is again restored to DCI.

l

You know, now that I think of it, I'm trying to figure out what years they did play Latin lately. 08 obviously. 05 had Latin flavor. 04 had Malaga. Then the next years I can think of are 94-96. Then Malaguena in 88. So that's it for the past 20 years. Oh wait, sorry, I forgot they played Stars and Stripes Forever in 87...

Thank you corpsreps