Park and Blow

IIRC, in 79 there was much criticism of Spirit because there was too much P&B and not enough movement. And what movement there was was variations on a company front.

There might have been criticism, but hey...it got Spirit where they wanted to go. Back then, music was favored by the judges moreso than visual, and they capitalized on that.

My choices...not to be a homer, but the power of Spirit in 79 and 80 is what attracted me to that corps.

Other than Spirit:

BD 1996. OMG... the opening statement alone, as I sat at the very top of the Citrus Bowl, parted my hair.

Madison...most any year, particularly in the 70s and 80s = Park and Blow.

Bridgemen...ditto.

Hi Steve!

78 Spirit of Atlanta. I was front row in Allentown. OMG. OMG. OMG.

But 1980 Spirit was absolutely amazing.

1980 Bridgemen showed how to park and blow and have a lot of fun doing so.

Muchachos knew a thing or two about getting in the audience's face and letting them have it. (74 and 75 in particular.)

Cheers!

Karen

Correct answer but - 1979 North Star or 1978 Crossmen come to mind as well.

Where's the Avatar?

1997 Madison Scouts (Big hold with the Drum Major showing the pirate flag and taking a picture.. Bad @ss moment!)

2002 Cadets- Boogie Woogie bugle boy. Wailing horns, 6 drumsets... bltchen!!!

2003 Phantom Regiment. Final hold of the show. Chills just thinkin about it!

1984- BD La Fiesta

1991- Star (Cross formation)

many more.. but these are my favs.

Yes! I'd describe that as "Stand & Deliver," though. "Park & Blow" just doesn't do it justice. Any ol' horn line can park & blow. Spirit's line released a physical assault on the stadium.

I agree.

My fave Park & Blow as a performer would have been the 'scat style' section in the 1984 Blue Knights opener. Amongst ourselves we called it the 'Park & Bark' and then set out to define the type of dog doing the barking. We wound up with kind of a St. Bernard bark.......big and loud but not always entirely intense..........at least we got beyond a yippy little self-rightous Chihuahua kind of bark.

Fave Park & Blow as a member of the audience - Wow. There were so very many but one of my faves would have to be the 1993 Cadets and Holsinger's 'On A Hymnsong of Philip Bliss'.......oh primo.

Other great ones include the work of Spirit and Bridgemen.........and a shout out to the 2008 Bluecoats who did, in fact, proove that the genre is still alive and kicking.

Anytime phantom stands still. It does have to be "park and blow" but its still awesome.

What comes to mind first:

'93- last chord of Fire of Eternal Glory OMFG!!!

'05- near the end, i was shocked they were actually doing that at first, but i loved it, it had a real groove to it. Phantom and GROOVE?!?!?!?!?! OH NOOO!

But 1980 spirit....

Crossmen have had some good ones in the past, they tried this year with their Wonderful World hit, but it didn't quite get to the blow part.

08 bluecoats- just a wonderful brass moment all together.

Hearing all this talk about the G bugle hornlines makes me wish I was around to hear 'em live.

The shout chorus of Bluecoats 08 was sick at move-ins. The drumline would stand in front of the hornline at that section during runs of the ballad and just hype it up. Love it.