Military elements

As I’m sure anyone who reads these forums recognize, the drum corps activity has evolved radically from its military roots. Some will argue for better, and some will argue for worse. But regardless of your personal opinion of the current product, does it seem at all strange to you that, without any current requirements to do so, a particular corps comes outs, performs a program of jazz/classical/symphonic/pop music with jazz/ballet/modern/interpretive dance, and along with that performance:

• the drum major salutes at the beginning and end of the show, as well as when they receive their scores,
  • the uniforms/costumes contain military elements which have nothing to do with the production,
  • the color guard uses equipment such as rifles and sabers, which usually have nothing to do with the production.

I understand that many corps have been around long enough to have true military roots through their association and sponsorship from veterans organizations and the like, and so they understandably have some military elements that are intrinsic to their identity. But, there are also many corps that are too young to have any military roots, yet they still choose to incorporate military elements. Do any of you find this strange or interesting?

No, what's weird is guard members who can't march and corps members that can't maintain a block formation in a parade.

I think that for the most part, the military aspects that you mention have pretty much been stripped of their original meanings. Corps still spin rifles, not because they are an item used to guard the flag or shoot people, but because color guards have always spun rifles. Flags no longer identify a squadron, they simply provide a large visual element. Salutes still happen, not so much to show deference to a ranking superior, just to show respect to the judges (maybe a slight kiss-up?), and to the crowd - kind of the signal that "We are now prepared to perform for you".

Rifles are starting to give way to other items - look at the "blades" that many corps have been using. I've seen guards spinning umbrellas, large fans, brooms, mops, etc. - so I think the rifles are just a carryover from the military origins.

As far as uniforms - my thoughts are that the military going back over 1000 years have always had the coolest outfits. Also, the military has probably always had the most influence on any outfit that needed to conform within a group...firefighters, police, ice cream men, milk delivery, etc. When you have tens of thousands of people that all need to be dressed the same, there's quite the trickle down effect.

Or not.

Generally speaking, these military roots have led to a great deal of pride and passion for:

1. Uniformity of physical presence and style

2. Work ethic toward a common goal

3. A general sense of decorum in the presence of others when representing your unit (though some would argue that this one is deteriorating in some cases)

I do not think it is strange that elements of the past are present in the activity as a thread into the future. I find them interesting and I like that they are there, mutations and all.

At least the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy isn't one of the military elements used by DCI. :thumbup:

Do any of you find this strange or interesting?

Haven't you noticed that the basic drum corps concept itself is a little strange? Music as an athletic sport? What's the sense in that?

The few military vestiges are what anchor the activity to any sort of logical existence.

I actually do not find the military traditions to be odd (uniforms, salutes, spinning rifles/sabres). I take it to be a nod to tradition, so to speak, even with the activity's many non-militaristic changes/innovations.