Cymbals or synthesizers?

Obviously, no one is being forced to choose. I was just curious as to what some people's thoughts might be.

Since cymbals have been called obsolete, and adding electronics has been called too progressive, I'm wondering which one people would rather see involved in a drum corps. No right or wrong answer, really.

I don't post a lot, but if you have read any of my past posts you can see pretty easily that I'm an advocate for keeping cymbals around. If given the choice, I'd rather hear a real cymbal line playing than a synthesized version of the same part. And yes, I do think that will probably happen.

And also, "cynthesizers" isn't an option. :smile:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If given the choice, I'd rather hear a real cymbal line playing than a synthesized version of the same part. And yes, I do think that will probably happen.

And also, "cynthesizers" isn't an option. :smile:

I dont think you will have to worry about hearing synthesized cymbal sounds. Most of the percussion arrangers i know who use electronics tastefully know better than to waste a good synth on something as crazy as cymbal sounds.

True; however, good taste has not exactly been a factor in many, if not most of the uses of the latest toys introduced to DCI.

Cymbals.

Even though I know that will not happen as implied in the thread title, once again I will say that the removal of any line of instruments from the field in favor of a single voice or representation of that instrument is sad. Cymbals ARE an instrument, played by a performer musician who learns the techniques to make that instrument sound a certain way. Some may laugh at that, but it is what it is.

Eliminating the instrument from the performance field eliminates the performer musicians, and that's a shame. What's next to eliminate in favor of a single representation? Tuba/contra basses?

Cymbals! Nothing better than a killer plate line. :smile: