When did guards go co-ed?

I remember back in the first "Phantom of the Opera" show how the audience cheered when SCV's first male guard members took the field. I think that they went back to all-female a year later (except for the phantom himself).

That was the era when single-gender guards started to open up to everyone. Who can forget Scott Chandler's great work at Spirit, for example.

Questions:

1) When did individual corps go "co-ed" in their guards?

2) Are there any remaining corps, DCI or DCA, that haven't.

Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) Are there any remaining corps, DCI or DCA, that haven't (gone coed)?

I suppose the obvious one is the Cavaliers.

The Madison Scouts have had girls on the field a few times ("Alice in Wonderland" in the early 70s and "Carmen" in 2005 come to mind), but they normally field an all-male guard.

We had guys in the guard in the Guardsmen - actually A guy doing guardwork in 1979. In 1978 we had a guy in there, but he helped shlep stuff around: the maypole, the guardhouse, etc but didn't really do any guardwork specifically.

I think there have been coed guards for many, many years... long before the late '70's. But in general it was sort of gender specific for the most part, and that includes horlines as well. SCV and Garfield Cadets had male only hornlines for many years past when others had gone to co-ed.

I think there have been coed guards for many, many years... long before the late '70's. But in general it was sort of gender specific for the most part, and that includes horlines as well. SCV and Garfield Cadets had male only hornlines for many years past when others had gone to co-ed.

In the case of SCV and of others, drum lines also did not allow females.

Edited by scv guy

A guy in Guardsmen in 1979? Wow, I'm shocked--I had no idea. The first time I remember a co-ed guard was either Spirit or Freelancers, both in 1983.

A guy in Guardsmen in 1979? Wow, I'm shocked--I had no idea.

Same here. You could've knocked me over with a feather on that one!

The first time I remember a co-ed guard was either Spirit or Freelancers, both in 1983.

Actually, I'm sure there were co-ed guards before then. I know that Imperial Guard (from Evansville, Ind.) marched a co-ed rifle line in 1980. Not only that, but my own Oakland Crusaders marched a co-ed guard in 1980. We weren't the first, but those groups sprang to mind immediately for me.

Edited by byline

Going down the list of teh corps I'm sure of:

BD: 1992

Cadets: 1988

Regiment: 05 (starting with one guy and slowing adding)

SCV: 87

Corps no longer with us that I'm sure of:

Suncoast Sound: not sure...but at least from 83

VK (old corps): 85?

Corps that I don't think ever did:

27th Lancers

Cavaliers

Madison (I don't count a single, one-time female guest performer as going co-ed on the guard...especiall so many years apart)

I remember back in the first "Phantom of the Opera" show how the audience cheered when SCV's first male guard members took the field. I think that they went back to all-female a year later (except for the phantom himself).

That was the era when single-gender guards started to open up to everyone. Who can forget Scott Chandler's great work at Spirit, for example.

Questions:

1) When did individual corps go "co-ed" in their guards?

2) Are there any remaining corps, DCI or DCA, that haven't.

Thanks.

Toronto Optimists went co-ed I believe in 1972, from all-male to having girls on the flag line. The rifle line was all-male.

kel

Going down the list of teh corps I'm sure of:

BD: 1992

Cadets: 1988

Regiment: 05 (starting with one guy and slowing adding)

SCV: 87

Corps no longer with us that I'm sure of:

Suncoast Sound: not sure...but at least from 83

VK (old corps): 85?

Corps that I don't think ever did:

27th Lancers

Cavaliers

Madison (I don't count a single, one-time female guest performer as going co-ed on the guard...especiall so many years apart)

27th had guys in 86.