Spirit Announces 2009 Brass Staff

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of those folks that were former staffers with Glassmen were not there last year. So what it mean's for the Glassmen as far as I can see is it'll have no effect. However, those are some great brass guys. I enjoyed watching Waymire and Putnam and wish them the best of luck at Spirit. And being united with Boerma (who I wish would bring back his mustache...) I look to see Spirit's brass rise. When they got Boerma on board last year, I figured it was only a matter of time.

Looks like a great addition for Spirit. Scary almost. Hope they stay around for a few years to build it up. Apparently there is not a lot of staff turn over there, just additions. That is always interesting to watch. The new brass crew obviously has had horn lines in the top six. Not a small feat by any means. Will the old brass staff embrace and welcome the experience? I would hope so. I have heard Ray Vasquez (Last year's brass caption head) is a nice guy and that he is always open to what is best for the members. I also have heard these new guys are amazing, get down to it types in rehearsal, but know how to hip it up when necessary to strike a good balance of hard work and personal attention.

Now, let's hope they stop playing wind ensemble music, create some GE, and get a new uniform....please. Don't play Georgia or Amazing Grace either! Crowd pleasing like the late 70s-80 corps, but

different from everyone else. Percussion was great in 2008, seems like brass will be much better. Guard seemed to take a positive direction in 08, though a little too indoor maybe, too drilly?

All in All, looks much better for them. New Program Coordinator also I think. Need to check the website.

Good Luck Spirit

Looks like a great addition for Spirit. Scary almost. Hope they stay around for a few years to build it up. Apparently there is not a lot of staff turn over there, just additions. That is always interesting to watch. The new brass crew obviously has had horn lines in the top six. Not a small feat by any means. Will the old brass staff embrace and welcome the experience? I would hope so. I have heard Ray Vasquez (Last year's brass caption head) is a nice guy and that he is always open to what is best for the members. I also have heard these new guys are amazing, get down to it types in rehearsal, but know how to hip it up when necessary to strike a good balance of hard work and personal attention.

Now, let's hope they stop playing wind ensemble music, create some GE, and get a new uniform....please. Don't play Georgia or Amazing Grace either! Crowd pleasing like the late 70s-80 corps, but

different from everyone else. Percussion was great in 2008, seems like brass will be much better. Guard seemed to take a positive direction in 08, though a little too indoor maybe, too drilly?

All in All, looks much better for them. New Program Coordinator also I think. Need to check the website.

Good Luck Spirit

I think the unis look good. Just my opinion. But, "don't play Georgia"? That's the corps song. Would you say to Madison, "don't sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'"? Would you say to BD, "don't play that tuning chord sequence"?

I think the unis look good. Just my opinion. But, "don't play Georgia"? That's the corps song. Would you say to Madison, "don't sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'"? Would you say to BD, "don't play that tuning chord sequence"?

I mean that I don't want them to play "Georgia" as a show choice. Don't think that the old south theme shows of old could be topped or relived accurately. OF COURSE they should still play it as a part of their concert repertoire.

The drum corps teaching has certainly changed over the last twenty years. It used to be odd to have band directors on staff, much less musicians with advanced degrees. Not taking anything away from those instructors of yester-year. They obviously produced some excellent brass lines. There does seem to be a trend, particularly with the top six or so horn lines to have older staffs with multiple experiences with music making and music instruction. Can not help but think that this group will be great for transforming a 15th place horn line. I felt last year's horn line seemed to have some depth, but just lacked the higher levels of polish or musical detail. I would love to see Spirit turn some heads and start getting a lot of attention. This brass staff move seems like serious decisions are being made to do just that. It will of course take a few seasons to really get cooking with a serious plan to move up. Not that you have to be top twelve, but it would be nice to see a corps with Spirit's history make an exciting comeback. Like the previous poster stated, I hope for something new and different from the old southern themes, and very different from their recent stuff, yet kind of in your face and accessible like their top six years.

Got to be instructed by most of them in 07, and must say, they are great at what they do... I love Ian and Adam! :happy:

Don't you men 'Mom and Dad'?

Wow what a great lineup. Holy Madison Scouts. I've always enjoyed Spirit and this year looks like it's gonna be another great one for them. Best of luck all!