Have You Seen This?

This is an accurate statement, only when preceded by the words, "To me."

It's not for you to decide what drum corps is inherently about. To each, his own.

This producer has no obligation whatsoever to tell a story about excellence. She's telling a story about characters which are set against a backdrop that just happens to be drum corps. There's no need for a more lofty message, in my opinion. Would I love it if it were to also serve as an infomercial for drum corps? Sure. But, I'm fine with pretty much anything that shows drum corps in a positive light. Take it for what it's worth.

positive light? We usually don't disagree...but on this one, we part ways big time.

A bad movie is harmful. It's like saying all of TV is "My Sweet Sixteen."

Bad film is bad film....regardless of subject.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an accurate statement, only when preceded by the words, "To me."

It's not for you to decide what drum corps is inherently about. To each, his own.

It's up to the audience that the film is trying to reach, then.

By a large majority here (DCP being a nexus that is somehwat aligned with the films target audience), people don't really seem to care for the trailer . . .no matter where we take the "it's your opinion" point.

This producer has no obligation whatsoever to tell a story about excellence. She's telling a story about characters which are set against a backdrop that just happens to be drum corps. There's no need for a more lofty message, in my opinion. Would I love it if it were to also serve as an infomercial for drum corps? Sure. But, I'm fine with pretty much anything that shows drum corps in a positive light. Take it for what it's worth.

This producer has no obligation to tell a story about excellence, you're right. . .that was a failure out of the box, anyway. :tongue:

Judging by some of the things we saw in the trailer, there were a lot of reference that didn't portray "drum corps" in a positive light. Implied bulimia. Drum corps being derided by an authority figure as lacking substance. Even problems with graduation!

All of which are fine if you're going for the ABC AfterSchool Special feel, or you're trying to recreate the magic of Jesse Spano on Saved By The Bell performing "I'm so Excited" (reference for you young folks:

) . . .not for creating an engaging narrative with drum corps as a backdrop.

For the most part, drum corps kids don't have problems with school (most music program kids are high achievers in school) . . .most are good at time management skills . . .and while there may be some body image issues that aren't talked about a lot, I don't know that's its prevalent enough to make a movie out of.

Let's suppose it was: even with that small bit of gravitas . . .pitting the "perfection" self-image issues young women face as they grow up against the relentless pursuit of "perfection" in drum corps . . .that alone might offer a much deeper attempt at an cerebral drum corps "story" than we see here.

Anyhoo, watching it might make a good drinking game . . .especially if you have to drink everytime they played that "Daaaah dah dah dada!" theme. :lol:

Just like the movie "Drum Line" this will be another film we can all hate. When is DCI, Tom Blair, Rawtv, Box5 going to do one of these and make it better?

Actually, I thought the movie "Drumline" was pretty good ... It just wasn't about drum corps.

The fact that they made pro/con arguments for "Edutainment" was admirable. Sure, I don't really get into the Grambling-style band thing, but it wasn't a bad film at all.

I'm pretty much awed at the number of posters on this thread hurling spew at a movie they haven't even seen yet, let alone the lack of appreciation for the fact that these folks care enough about drum corps to have conceived, and realized, a finished feature-length film about the activity.

Do you all have any idea what that takes? I do, and I'm impressed, even if it turns out to be far from a classic in the Hollywood sense.

Judging by some of the things we saw in the trailer, there were a lot of reference that didn't portray "drum corps" in a positive light. Implied bulimia. Drum corps being derided by an authority figure as lacking substance. Even problems with graduation!

I don't know what you mean ... That this is a story that might include real issues, and not just some glossed-over confection of a DCI marketing piece?

I couldn't even count the times that my "authority figures" threw the same kinds of sentiments about drum corps at me as were voiced by some of the adults in the film. I had an uphill battle at home to stay in drum corps due to a parent that hated the activity. That's real life.

Hell, why do a narrative drama if you're not going to bring real issues to the table?

Actually, I thought the movie "Drumline" was pretty good ... It just wasn't about drum corps.

The fact that they made pro/con arguments for "Edutainment" was admirable. Sure, I don't really get into the Grambling-style band thing, but it wasn't a bad film at all.

I'm pretty much awed at the number of posters on this thread hurling spew at a movie they haven't even seen yet, let alone the lack of appreciation for the fact that these folks care enough about drum corps to have conceived, and realized, a finished feature-length film about the activity.

Do you all have any idea what that takes? I do, and I'm impressed, even if it turns out to be far from a classic in the Hollywood sense.

Well, Michael...you and I are opposite on this. I have no problem with film students trying...just like any other art or music students. Here's the rub...as an audience member, I have given...oh, let's say certain perennial bad performing corps (think longtime southeastern stallwart) an opportunity once a year to impress me. I give them their "movie trailer" to hook me into not going out to buy a hot dog during their performance.

I am an audience member and I sit there during the annual performance by this corps and say to myself..."they are introducing kids to drum corps"...and I really try hard to find something positive to say about the whole effort. I guess I applaud the effort...but I don't have to subject myself to this "effort" night after night. I'm not the parent of one of these kids afterall.

Think Music Man when the kids band was playing the Minuet in G near the end. Yeah, kind of like that.

Well, Michael...you and I are opposite on this. I have no problem with film students trying...just like any other art or music students. Here's the rub...as an audience member, I have given...oh, let's say certain perennial bad performing corps (think longtime southeastern stallwart) an opportunity once a year to impress me. I give them their "movie trailer" to hook me into not going out to buy a hot dog during their performance.

I am an audience member and I sit there during the annual performance by this corps and say to myself..."they are introducing kids to drum corps"...and I really try hard to find something positive to say about the whole effort. I guess I applaud the effort...but I don't have to subject myself to this "effort" night after night. I'm not the parent of one of these kids afterall.

Think Music Man when the kids band was playing the Minuet in G near the end. Yeah, kind of like that.

1) I'm not Michael.

2) They're not film students ... These are adults.

3) Then don't pay to see the film, but at least respect the fact that they got a feature film made.

I don't know what you mean ... That this is a story that might include real issues, and not just some glossed-over confection of a DCI marketing piece?

I couldn't even count the times that my "authority figures" threw the same kinds of sentiments about drum corps at me as were voiced by some of the adults in the film. I had an uphill battle at home to stay in drum corps due to a parent that hated the activity. That's real life.

Hell, why do a narrative drama if you're not going to bring real issues to the table?

My reply about issues was meant to be tongue in cheek, as the presentation of said "issues" were carried off about as well as your local high school's production of "Mame". :happy:

Anyway, I'll cede you a point here: I can respect the work that went into making this . . .just as I could respect a corps design team and kids out on the field.

However, much like some of the on-field product . . .this just isn't something that looks engaging or entertaining to me and some others and as a product meant for public consumption, those are the risks you take. :smile:

However, much like some of the on-field product . . .this just isn't something that looks engaging or entertaining to me and some others and as a product meant for public consumption, those are the risks you take. :happy:

Yeah, and let the marketplace prevail as far as that goes ... As a filmmaker I respect the fact that it got made. As a consumer I say let it stand, or fail, based on its ability to draw an audience.

I would imagine this could have some decent festival appeal.

1) I'm not Michael.

2) They're not film students ... These are adults.

3) Then don't pay to see the film, but at least respect the fact that they got a feature film made.

1. Sorry...I thought you were someone else.

2. Then it is worse than film students.

3. I was asked on a discussion thread to DISCUSS what I had seen. It was a trailer for a film. I can applaud effort, tenacity all those things....but on accomplishment...IT FAILS. It really is far less difficult now than it ever has been to get a low budget feature length film made. For one...the technology is far cheaper now with video than it was in the film days.

And yes, one hurdle is getting a film made. But what do we call it besides a valiant effort when no one will pay to see it? In drum corps terms...we call it practice or rehearsal.

If the makers of this film did not want to invite harsh criticism, they should have not created the preview. They would most likely have been in a better cash position had they.