Troopers DVD Audio DIY Fix

I was miffed to see that Troop's ballad audio was not included on the DVD recording this year. Rather than get mad about it, I decided to fix it. I have the CD with the full performance, I have the DVD with the full video, so why not mix the two together?

This is where I need help. I'm a brilliant IT person but I know little to nothing about video editing packages. I'm asking for help from the hivemind on how to do this. I'm looking for software that:

1. Easily allows editing of audio/video. I should be able to replace the silence on the DVD rip with my CD audio, and have the tools to facilitate a proper sync.

2. Avoids a significant drop in quality. My goal is to create a brand new DVD of 13-20 with the replacement audio for my own collection, and I don't want to have to reduce by bitrate by much.

3. Has a relatively low price.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Pinwiz

Was the DVD defective or did DCI omit it on purpose? The DVD description on the website does not mention that part of the audio track is omitted.

It was omitted due to licensing issues........... They should have taken care of that.

if it's on the cd, why not the dvd? same licensing right?

Two different licenses. CD = mechanical reproduction license. DVD/Video = synchronization license. I just watched the Troopers Allentown performance on the Fan Network and all of the audio is there. If they don't have the synchro license, then the audio on that should have been edited out as well.

But the big question is why two months after the season ended, there is a licensing issue. One would think that all copyrights would have to have been granted before a corps performs in their first competition.

Early in the season, I e-mailed DCI asking why some Open Class performances were not on the Fan Network and the reply was that DCI did not have their copyright paperwork. The way I understand it, no one, not DCI, the corps, Box 5, whoever, can videorecord a performance unless the corps has the synchro licenses for every arrangement.

Another thing, since it was purposefully omitted (due to legal reasons) why does it not mention that on the website? That is just a very poor business practice IMO.

Edited by CasualFan

Simple..You can use Pinnacle movie software to edit/delete audio then you add new audio from a Cd and sync to the movie and then burn a new master copy ....about $80 dollars...

If you're a linux buff.

ffmpeg -i source.mpeg -sameq -an video_only.mpg

ffmpeg -i source.mpeg -sameq -vn audio_only.wav

audacity audio_only.wav

ffmpeg -i video_only.mpg -i audio_only.wav -sameq -vcodec copy -acodec copy fixed.mpg

Mastering a DVD on the other hand is not quite that simple. But doable without having to buy something like Vegas Pro or Final Cut Express. And necessary for drumcorps when BVP (DCA) authors surround sound, but only supply tracks for front left and front right, with silence for the other 4 tracks of audio. And might need a few extra options if the audio is a bit out of sync. I think I had to adjust the fps to 29.954 instead of 29.97 for Kilties 2006. I'll probably get around to adjusting the audio part to keep the 29.97 fps (DVD Specification(NTSC)) someday.

Edited by Shadow_7

Two different licenses. CD = mechanical reproduction license. DVD/Video = synchronization license. I just watched the Troopers Allentown performance on the Fan Network and all of the audio is there. If they don't have the synchro license, then the audio on that should have been edited out as well.

But the big question is why two months after the season ended, there is a licensing issue. One would think that all copyrights would have to have been granted before a corps performs in their first competition.

Early in the season, I e-mailed DCI asking why some Open Class performances were not on the Fan Network and the reply was that DCI did not have their copyright paperwork. The way I understand it, no one, not DCI, the corps, Box 5, whoever, can videorecord a performance unless the corps has the synchro licenses for every arrangement.

Another thing, since it was purposefully omitted (due to legal reasons) why does it not mention that on the website? That is just a very poor business practice IMO.

Why should they care, they have your money.

You can bet if the oversight had happened to one of the top twelve corps DVD, every effort would have been made to ensure that the issue had been corrected in those two months.

About any program can do it. Even *shiver* windows movie maker.

Do you have a Mac or a PC? If a Mac, I can give you advice. PC...sorry, no.

Good video editing software for PC? Try Vegas. Not sure what to suggest for DVD authoring.

For a Mac, and being a newbie, try Final Cut Express and iDVD.

BTW, I wrote a book about Final Cut so if you are using that software, I can get you there.

Final Cut Studio is $1200 though, and you need a Mac.