Horn Flush Question

stein456

I probably clean my horn 3-4 times a year. That's why I don't need chemicals. I can usually tell by how the horn reacts to my playing as to when it needs a good flushing.

Edited by melligene

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most brass shops will use a solvent close to Simple Green (drys out hands really bad!) and a watered down solution of hydrochloric acid (so the horn just simply won't melt, but will get rid of 99.999999% of any bad stuff), but for home maintenance, warm water and either mild soap or baking soda will get the yuck out. And a snake (sss!)

In an old bugle manual I read, it said to boil water and pour down the bell to clean it out, and use Vaseline to slick up the slides (This was for the G/D slip slide bugle).

BOILING WATER!!!!!!!!!! That would be the worst thing ever! The vaseline is OK, but water, that hot, could make the horn fall apart, would remove any lacquer finish and could cause severe burns.

Don't anyone ever do that!!!!!!!!!!!!

water, that hot, could make the horn fall apart, would remove any lacquer finish and could cause severe burns.

The horn will not fall apart. Solder melts in a temperature range above 365 degrees F.

Hot water will not affect a silver plated finish, or modern epoxy lacquers which actually are baked on. It WILL melt older nitro-cellulose lacquer which may still be used on some high-end professional instruments.

Chrome plated bugles are impervious to everything shy of full-strength nitric acid. I used to clean them out in the boil-out tank at an alumna's auto radiator shop. At home, I used a lye-based toilet bowl cleaner. With a very thorough rinse job.

Epoxy lacquered instruments are impervious to everything except everyday use by middle school students.

Hot tap water CAN cause burns. But you already know that.

I probably clean my horn 3-4 times a year. That's why I don't need chemicals. I can usually tell by how the horn reacts to my playing as to when it needs a good flushing.

Just to add.........I guess it depends if the horn is your own (paid for by you) or belongs to a corps'.

The horn will not fall apart. Solder melts in a temperature range above 365 degrees F.

Hot water will not affect a silver plated finish, or modern epoxy lacquers which actually are baked on. It WILL melt older nitro-cellulose lacquer which may still be used on some high-end professional instruments.

Chrome plated bugles are impervious to everything shy of full-strength nitric acid. I used to clean them out in the boil-out tank at an alumna's auto radiator shop. At home, I used a lye-based toilet bowl cleaner. With a very thorough rinse job.

Epoxy lacquered instruments are impervious to everything except everyday use by middle school students.

Hot tap water CAN cause burns. But you already know that.

I mention the horn falling apart because a bari player in our corps cleaned his new, lacquered, Getzen baritone, (c.1968) in boiling water.

The lacquer came off. When the horn cooled, two of the slides came apart when removed. The bell was dented because the horn was dropped from the heat and being held by hand while the boiling water was poured in.

I had nothing to do with the above event, but you should've heard the guy tell the story when it happened and how scared he was to tell the corps director what he had done to the horn. It was kind of hilarious, in fact, I'm laughing now remembering it.

Just soak in vinegar and rinse.

Great on french fries too :lol:

BOILING WATER!!!!!!!!!! That would be the worst thing ever! The vaseline is OK, but water, that hot, could make the horn fall apart, would remove any lacquer finish and could cause severe burns.

Don't anyone ever do that!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, have a 1930s Drum Crops Manual and one page shows how to "clean" the Army Surplus bugles.

Has a drawing of a guy holding a bugle bell up, and he's pouring a pan of boiling water into it. :rolleyes:

Worst part is to protect his hand, he only has a rag wrapped around the horn. Man, tough ### WWI vets... :laughing:

PS - Thanks for the reminder, Lancer horn needs some repair and some of my "collectors items" need some minor work. Dear Santa, I want a gift certificate for the Horn Hospital (that's the name of the place.)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

LOL, have a 1930s Drum Crops Manual and one page shows how to "clean" the Army Surplus bugles.

Has a drawing of a guy holding a bugle bell up, and he's pouring a pan of boiling water into it. :tongue:

Worst part is to protect his hand, he only has a rag wrapped around the horn. Man, tough ### WWI vets... :smile:

PS - Thanks for the reminder, Lancer horn needs some repair and some of my "collectors items" need some minor work. Dear Santa, I want a gift certificate for the Horn Hospital (that's the name of the place.)

I think that was the manual I was referencing. And I think you sent it to me!