Horn Flush Question

stein456

i like to do basic things like lube or maybe take a towel rub down the slides then regrease and leave the rest for the local shop.

a good chemical bath everyonce in a while never hurt anyone and it keeps it nice and clean

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hey you guys! I gave the "effordent" a try and it worked pretty well. Not only did it loosen the "shmeckis" in side the horn, but got rid of that toxic metal taste. I trust that it also rendered, as I stated on my original post, the inside of the instrument some what hygenic, which is my issue. MOLE SPORES INSIDE A HORN.

I raise this issue because I had occasion to play on a horn that was not recently flushed (poor choice) and contracted a lung infection that was, shall I say, most unpleasant. Infections are a very serious issue, especially for older players.

For sake of data, I followed the effordent soak with a flush, it was an older horn, not cleaned in quite awhile. I also huff some listerine through the lead pipe before I play. So there you have it. Just offering an option for your consideration.

BTW the hardest part was purchasing the effordent from my local phamacy and having the cashier (my neigbbor's daughter) think I had false choppers, which despite my growing up in Brooklyn NY and marching in the "blood and guts" days of drum corps, I still have my originals.

• 2 weeks later...
Do not use baking soda with hot watter! I used this when I wanted to strip the finish off one of my trumpets. Did a darn good job too.

I have been cleaning out my horns with a little baking soda in a tub of warm water & a snake. fifty years now ,works good , no bad affects that I have ever seen. So far so good .

Saw a guy try "Drano" once .....NOT GOOD !

I have been cleaning out my horns with a little baking soda in a tub of warm water & a snake. fifty years now ,works good , no bad affects that I have ever seen. So far so good .

Saw a guy try "Drano" once .....NOT GOOD !

Key thing is Hot Water. I used boiling water and baking soda. Place the trumpet in a tub, poor over the water trumpet. Five minutes later I peeled off the finish.

Keeping the water not so hot might be helping you.