Eye of the Tiger- Survivor

Thunderstruck- AC/DC

followed by

Watching the World of Warcraft episode of South Park

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chinese traditional music, or anything meditative.

i could not do a show all hyped up. i had to be calm and thoughtful. being mega amped for a show just lead to weird mistakes and discord in my mind.

unfortunately i didnt realize this till my age out year... but i encourage anyone still marching to give a calm approach to pre-show hype, see how it goes with you.

There's a lot of sports psychology out there to demonstrate that overyhpe (high arousal in scientific terms) is extremely detrimental to performance. The adrenaline and anxiety of live performance and competition tends to drive most people beyond the level of arousal where they reach peak performance. The challenge for the performer and staff is to get to a state of low arousal so that that adrenaline rush brings them into the middle state where most people perform most efficiently.

With that being said, I don't think what is listened to on the bus on the way to the show is a big factor one way or another. How the corps is managed at the show site is far more important. If I were a corps director or staff coordinator, The Inner Game of Tennis would be required reading for my staff.

In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins is great for the "Zen" approach to show prep.

Killing in the Name by Rage Against the Machine.

Just to clarify, FTBS is actually a song called "Fat Chance" by 311. :tongue: That one is an oldy, but goody.

Also, I remember Jeff Q. letting us borrow his copy of Vulgar Display Of Power a few times in '99...the Crown bus was usually being rocked from the inside while we were pulling into the stadium whenever that happened. Now THAT'S hype!

-Z

With that being said, I don't think what is listened to on the bus on the way to the show is a big factor one way or another. How the corps is managed at the show site is far more important. If I were a corps director or staff coordinator, The Inner Game of Tennis would be required reading for my staff.

In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins is great for the "Zen" approach to show prep.

As t your first point - we didn't consider Drum Corps an athletic activity (although in hindsight over 35 years later, pumping your knees up and down while playing a brass instrument is probably very aerobic!) but BITD (for me, '68 - '72) we listened to all the horn bands of the time

BTW - technology wasn't was what it is now. No iPods, mp3 players - the tech of the day was hand held cassette players and the one or two guys on the bus who had one.

So anyway we listened to Blood Sweat & Tears, Chase, Mandrill and even that Class "B" band Chicago - anything with horns - We went on a Midwest tour one year and to Kenosha and Racine and one smart*** played I'm Getting Closer To My Home by some so called rock band refuted to be run by the F.B.I. You know, Grand Funk Railroad? we nearly left him on the side of the road in Indiana before he stopped.

As to the management of the corps at the show site, I couldn't agree more. Attitude management is key.

Puppet

Always Don't Stop Believing by Journey and following that an assortment of Earth, Wind, and Fire is what we mainly listened too after that.

Yes.

Can't forget that one Queen song about being a space man or something.

I am just guessing, but i am almost certain that the cover of umbrella is by some guys i know who happen to be known by the name of All Time Low.

Thats the one

Hey guys ....

If I had the chance to hype, this would be hands down top three:

1. Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl

2. Tears for Fears - Sowing the Seeds of Love

3. Ice Cube - It Was a Good Day