1940 Leedy "Roll Off" No. 5

Hey NanciD......thanks to you and Tom Peashey.......I have a Leedy valveless tenor bugle in my collection.

Honey Pot

Thanks Jim...

A little history... I found this while cleaning out my last remaining Aunt's apartment after she had to enter a nursing home. It must have been knocking around my grandparents home in Oswego, NY.

Clarence Pilon was best man in my parent's wedding in 1941. Have no idea why he would have had it or if they simply wrote his Navy address on the envelope.

I hope everyone reads through it... it truly is amazing how much of it is applicable today... and then look at the picture of the street and the early automobiles and realize this was written pre-war...

When I was learning what drum corps was, I played on both a Leedy and Conn French Horn... I think the manufacturer's supplying both brass and percussion is an interesting twist... we started that way with Conn, Leedy and Ludwig - then went completely away from that from 1960 (with the Getzen rise to prominence) until the 1990's when DEG went into percussion and Yamaha entered the brass area...

Wow - what a great piece of our history - and marketing genius.

I like page 2, "The first four officers should be experienced business men." When did we start allowing women to participate in this male bonding activity?

What's up with page 9? A 59 piece corps needed 16 snares? :big hug: Was Mr. Leedy a snare drummer at heart? What did he have against tenor and bass drummers?

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the additional history Tom. You are old, but not as old as me.........I think. I used to keep all kinds of stuff as keepsakes and always had a sense of the historical. I had a copy (or whatever duplicating medium they called it waaaay back then......mimeograph?????) of the lead soprano part for The Dipsy Doodle........which has long since fallen into a black hole.

LancerLegend, I think that back 'in the day' most D&B instrument vendors/manufacturers were drum companies first. The balance of the ensemble was always heavy in drums and that wen't back to the late 20's......anyone have a rationale for this trend?

Jim

That is wonderful to see and read! It's AMAZING how many things (as they relate to snare drums and drumming paragraphs and info in the book, anyway...) are the same, and how many of the points made seem hysterically ridiculous at the same time.

For instance, it's pretty funny how they talk about how "rope tension" snare drum use has been "virtually eliminated" and some reasons for that are mentioned. Classic!

Anyway, what a great book to have and thanks for sharing it here! :big hug:

While it was my book... we must not forget to thank and recognize Nanci D. for all her hard work... even if Ron Allard's scanner is apparently very limited... (re: her complaints) it certainly created excellent reproductions...

Thanks Nanci

While it was my book... we must not forget to thank and recognize Nanci D. for all her hard work... even if Ron Allard's scanner is apparently very limited... (re: her complaints) it certainly created excellent reproductions...

Thanks Nanci

Isn't it wonderful to see people not only reading it but commenting on it as well?? I love it!!

It did create excellent reproductions.... it was just so hard to get there. His scanner is very old and my fairly new laptop is loaded with Vista and Vista hates everything!! It was very frustrating. I try my darnedest to preserve and present these gems as close to holding the actual item in your hands as I can.

All in all.... it was MY pleasure! You know how much I love this stuff!! Thanx so much for passing it along to share with everyone!!

LOL, see Gary Matczaks bugle bells... :lol:

Part interesting to me is the breakdown of the horn line. For 24 horns sops are equal to rest of line (12 sop/4 tenor/8 bari) and 28 horns sops are outnumbered (12 sop/8 tenor/8 bari). 1930s manual I have is from when Baris started coming out and breakdown was 1 Bari for every 3 or 4 sops.