Best on field hype... Ever!

'88 was a hard year on the four corps fighting for the 12th spot. We had all just kicked each others areses back and fourth across the country that summer, and only one of us was getting into finals. It went right down to semi's...

Yeah, 12th place was hotly contested in '88- Sky Ryders, Dutch Boy, XMen and Freelancers were all legitmate contenders, and all laid it out on Friday. Lots of tears in the parking lot that night.

Props to Sky for winning that battle, and peace to everyone who marched in all four of those corps; I hope they all remember it as a great season.

regards,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, 12th place was hotly contested in '88- Sky Ryders, Dutch Boy, XMen and Freelancers were all legitmate contenders, and all laid it out on Friday. Lots of tears in the parking lot that night.

Props to Sky for winning that battle, and peace to everyone who marched in all four of those corps; I hope they all remember it as a great season.

regards,

Fred O.

Hey Fred,

I remember it as a great season because of the product we produced on the field and the competition presented by the 10th to 15th place corps but I would say that once we started beating finalist corps and showing the possibility of making finals the season changed for the members.

Fred if you recall as a staff member, suddenly we lost free days, laundry days and even practiced between performances and retreats and then again after retreats in the parking lot before leaving for the next show. We were tired and stressed and had no down time and when we ended in 13th by 2 tenths we were heartbroken. It is 20 years later and I remember that season like yesterday.

Al used to always say to us to look in the mirror first and make sure we did everything we could do. We did and fell short and fell hard. I don't regret marching and aging out in 13th because I am hugely proud of the season, friends, product and competition.

Edited by neddy

Hey Fred,

I remember it as a great season because of the product we produced on the field and the competition presented by the 10th to 15th place corps but I would say that once we started beating finalist corps and showing the possibility of making finals the season changed for the members.

Fred if you recall as a staff member, suddenly we lost free days, laundry days and even practiced between performances and retreats and then again after retreats in the parking lot before leaving for the next show. We were tired and stressed and had no down time and when we ended in 13th by 2 tenths we were heartbroken. It is 20 years later and I remember that season like yesterday.

Al used to always say to us to look in the mirror first and make sure we did everything we could do. We did and fell short and fell hard. I don't regret marching and aging out in 13th because I am hugely proud of the season, friends, product and competition.

We did many of the same things like practice after shows etc. i'm thankful for the frelancers, dutch boy and xmen. all great corps that were firece competetors and class acts. I aged out in 89 and I feel the same way as you do about 89 even though we ended in 14th. I just wish we would have got to spend time together as drum corps. after all these years we had much in common. I belive our corps would have become friends. happy thanksgiving to all

Edited by kmanv

Hey Fred,

Hi Annette,

I'd like to go on record as saying that I wasn't reponsible for cancelling any laundry days; scheduling practice time wasn't part of my job description (lol)! Seriously, as the season progressed I think everyone started feeling the squeeze, members and staff alike. And no denying that it was a tough ending to a grueling tour. But like you, I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. You guys worked hard all summer and were great at semis. It was a very good year!

regards,

Fred O.

Hi Annette,

I'd like to go on record as saying that I wasn't reponsible for cancelling any laundry days; scheduling practice time wasn't part of my job description (lol)! Seriously, as the season progressed I think everyone started feeling the squeeze, members and staff alike. And no denying that it was a tough ending to a grueling tour. But like you, I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. You guys worked hard all summer and were great at semis. It was a very good year!

regards,

Fred O.

It's cool to hear the stories of the other corps we were in battle with. I too would have liked to spend more time with the kids in the other corps. I think that would have made the summer a little more enjoyable. I think we hit burnout about 2 weeks before KC, and the staff felt it too. We backed off on rehearsal a bit, had more time off, and one night of just letting loose, and it seemed to do us some good. We were bit fresher when we got to finals week, but at that point maybe a bit more resigned to not making the Saturday show. Not saying that we didn't go all out, but we knew after Thursday that we were too far out.

1989 was a much different story. There was a bit of a chip on our shoulder, and when we started putting drill on the field in December, you knew there was something special going on. I don't think people realize what a battle those two seasons were. Freelancers, Hutch, Dutch and Crossmen couldn't get way from each other those two years, and man was it fun!

I wish we could do it all over again...

It's cool to hear the stories of the other corps we were in battle with. I too would have liked to spend more time with the kids in the other corps. I think that would have made the summer a little more enjoyable. I think we hit burnout about 2 weeks before KC, and the staff felt it too. We backed off on rehearsal a bit, had more time off, and one night of just letting loose, and it seemed to do us some good. We were bit fresher when we got to finals week, but at that point maybe a bit more resigned to not making the Saturday show. Not saying that we didn't go all out, but we knew after Thursday that we were too far out.

1989 was a much different story. There was a bit of a chip on our shoulder, and when we started putting drill on the field in December, you knew there was something special going on. I don't think people realize what a battle those two seasons were. Freelancers, Hutch, Dutch and Crossmen couldn't get way from each other those two years, and man was it fun!

I wish we could do it all over again...

i do too. 89 was a lot of fun. wildly fluctuating scores and all. :smile: I just wish all of the corps were still around. (we still have xmen though). I'dlike to thank all of the membersofall of these corps for some great times. thanks,