Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

I sure wish some alumni corps would march Macy's....if just for the public exposure of what real bugle corps look like...

an alumni corps wouldn't be able to do anything more than a marching band does. it would offer no true exposure to the activity. the director is given a time limit for tv performance time. that means to get onto the "star" area in front of MACY*S, do your thing & reform to parade formation and march off, as well as other confining restrictions which all need to be accomplished. i worked with a band that performed in 1995 and we had to make multiple changes to our performance during the course of the fall as MACY*S reviewed our rehearsal videotapes. i'm not sure if they still tell directors to make changes, but i whole heartedly agree with Frank that with the severely limited size of space in which to perform, doing too much of anything is impossible, as well as dangerous.

the parade is long (2 1/2 miles), many times is brutally cold, the wind that whips thru those streets makes it very hard on the guards, and the tv practice run thru time is in the middle of the night. that said, it's a memory that will stay with you forever. but leave it for the young people. us folks in alumni corps would enjoy it, but i just can't see us getting as much out of it as the kids do.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since then, the only drum corps I can remember were the 'All Stars' (1994?) which included DCI and DCA corps members, with the Skyliners' Honor Guard leading them.

thought they did this All Stars Corps 4 times, 1991 through 1994.

3 times...1991,92, and 94...skipped 93. Every one was a blast! But 1994 had the most DCA and Alumni people so the it was the best party!

Donny

3 times...1991,92, and 94...skipped 93. Every one was a blast! But 1994 had the most DCA and Alumni people so the it was the best party!

Donny

I was there in '94.......It was a Blast. The Alumni Corps were marching better than reps from Junior Corps. Made the TODAY SHOW. Met Bryant Gumble, Katey Curik, and Willard Scott. Donny was OUTSTANDING. We were huge and had a great time. Gene was there. Jimmy Russo. I was there. Teaneck, NJ. Not much sleep, but, got loaded anyway.

BTW- We made the Discovery Channel.

I'd do it again.

Nick

the director is given a time limit for tv performance time. that means to get onto the "star" area in front of MACY*S, do your thing & reform to parade formation and march off, as well as other confining restrictions which all need to be accomplished. i worked with a band that performed in 1995 and we had to make multiple changes to our performance during the course of the fall as MACY*S reviewed our rehearsal videotapes. i'm not sure if they still tell directors to make changes,

Time in front of Macy's "On the Star" is 90 seconds...The Macy's folks did require numerous tapes over the course of this fall...that needed to be done outside of regular rehearsal time. The kids needed to be videotaped in full uniform from various angles.

the parade is long (2 1/2 miles),

My son stated the best part of the day was marching in the parade...probably the crowds and cheers, he enjoyed the parade over the performance in front of Macy's

and the tv practice run thru time is in the middle of the night.

The band was up at 1am loaded the buses at 2am left NJ for NY. They needed to be in front of the cameras at 4:30. The band then headed for breakfast at Planet Hollywood. The breakfast may now be a standard with marchers, our daughter marched with the YEA Color Guard in 03 and had breakfast there too.

that said, it's a memory that will stay with you forever.

It is absolutely a great memory and fantastic opportunity to experience marching in the parade. Viewing the parade live is also a wonderful memory.

Edited by heyjude1202

I was there in '94.......It was a Blast. The Alumni Corps were marching better than reps from Junior Corps. Made the TODAY SHOW. Met Bryant Gumble, Katey Curik, and Willard Scott. Donny was OUTSTANDING. We were huge and had a great time. Gene was there. Jimmy Russo. I was there. Teaneck, NJ. Not much sleep, but, got loaded anyway.

BTW- We made the Discovery Channel.

I'd do it again.

Nick

Yeah.............it was cold out there too. But it was time to: "COME JOIN THE PARADE!!" (i think we followed Big Bird)

"Tweet, Tweet, Tweet, Tweet......Boom, Boom, Boom!" ('yins' who were there gotta remember that)

I did the parade in 1965 with the Wynn Center Toppers and then again 27 years later (92) with the All Star contingent, both times were very cool. For anyone who hasn't been there the surprise would be how much room you don't have in front of Herald Square.

If I recall correctly, the street is only four traffic lanes curb to curb. That's not much space when you start moving 100 or so members around. It looks much bigger on TV.

DCM did a All- Star corps for the Cotton Bowl parade in 88, funded by who else.... Jim Cook, started out in Minnesota on our way to Madison Wisc. in the middle of a ice storm, finally got to Madison hopped on a bus from the Capitolaires. Someone decided to put their sleeping bag in a plastic garbage bag next to the heater in the back, needless to say it was rather smokie in the bus! I don't remember who came to the rescue but, I remember sitting somewhere waiting for the Calvary to show up! got on another bus in the middle of no where. Fell asleep on the bus woke up with a crowded bus, another bus broke down. Finally got to Bloomington Indiana, departed to Dallas Texas. Called in to McDonald's to order for 250 people, arrived at McDonalds no food ready staff thought it was a hoax. Not a pretty site feeding 250 drum corps people with no sleep! Got to Dallas Texas tempatures were in the 20's cold winds not a pretty site! Trying to find a street big enough for all these corps members, again not a pretty site! day of parade, another cold day! members getting frost bite and hypo thermia. summer uniforms in 20 degree temps, marched close ranks to stay warm! Played Auld Lang Syne! got goose bumps with a corps of this size! again, not good with cold temps and goose bumps! left for home New Years Day, Got half way home bus broke down waited for Star of Indiana busses to show up, got on a bus watch Harry and the Henderson's forgot all the problems and fell asleep, I had a great time. I would love to do this again! :rolleyes:

I marched the 1992 Macy's, Star of Indiana sponsored Pride of Drum Corps. It was a truly an unforgettable time. We spent 3 days practicing at the armory in Teaneck, NJ learning drill and going over the music we received before we all got together. We did a camera run through the night before the parade. After we blasted our horns into the cameras, one of the camera men peered out from his camera after we were done playing and with a puzzled face asked, "what are you guys"? We received loud cheers from the crowds during the parade. I also can't forget and cannot believe how we were all taken out to dinner one night to Mama Leone's and then the whole corps heading to Radio City Music Hall to see the Christmas show. We were even served a turkey dinner after the parade. Thanks again Bill Cook/ Star of Indiana!

I saw the parade live this year and all the marching bands were very good. I did notice how must of them had a corps style now.

There was even an all age marching band called the Second Time Arounders

I posted some pics below of the 92 parade. Donny, do you recognize anyone in the pics? :-)

MacysParade2.jpg

MacysParade.jpg

92MacysParade-1.jpg

I saw the parade live this year and all the marching bands were very good. I did notice how must of them had a corps style now.

There was even an all age marching band called the Second Time Arounders

Be nice to the Second Time Arounders, two members of the Light Brigade (Diane Alexander(cymbals) and Janis Guiney(color guard)) marched in that unit. And that was after a brutally cold parade in Plymouth the week before.