Bluecoats Camp Update?

Their banquet isn't until the weekend of 12/12-12/14, which is also their final audition camp.

With the Dallas camp this past weekend and a San Antonio camp the weekend before, I doubt many (if any at all) auditionees or vets went to both, especially considering how soon the final audition camp (in SA) is. This would be the camp kids would go to to increase their chance of being signed.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see attendance down at all corps' audition camps this season, if only due to economic issues. The Crossmen definitely have the edge in Texas now, being the only world class corps to hold all of their camps within the state.

I'm betting they had more vets attend the first camp of the season to see old friends, be at the first camp, go to banquet(?), etc...

How do we know that some Crossmen tryouts/vets didn't go to both Texas Crossmen camps? I know that when I taught at Bluecoats there were a few kids that went to the first Texas camp and then went to the Ohio camp to increase their chance of being signed, to go to banquet, to see old friends, etc...

Wouldn't it be a heck of a lot easier for a Crossmen tryout from Texas to go to both San Antonio AND Dallas?

Drum Corps never exaggerate anything, right? (sarcasm)

Also, don't forget that BD, Cavaliers, Madison and I'm sure some other corps I'm forgetting all have Texas camps now. It's not just the Bluecoats that have the market in Texas anymore.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always a great Thanksgiving tradition to go home for the holiday and check up on the Bluecoats before the drive back to D.C. I have seen every November camp since I aged out in '96 and I honestly have to say that I'm worried about the Bluecoats. Not many blue necklaces around necks this year and by the sounds they were putting out, you could really tell. The guard turnout wasn't great, but their talent was. They did a choreography routine to If I Were a Boy and a flag routine to Imagine which was great. This new caption head may be a godsend to that colorguard. You can tell he and his staff are very talented writers and are drawing good talent. The Bluecoats drumline will always be decent, but who knows if they'll ever be what they were under MacIntosh. It's possible, but they'll have to weed through a lot of people to get there. It's so hard to say this, but the hornline was, by far, the weakest part of the show-and-tell for me. At a camp when technique is being established, I would expect the upper bodies to look significantly better than they did. Even some people with the necklaces looked bad in the trumpet line. The sound was okay, but not the big Bluecoats brass I remember from '07 and '08, which made me really sad.

I really hope the Bluecoats can get some Texas all-stars mixed in this corps and really make it happen this year. I'm rooting for you guys!!! :-)

Edited by E. Polsky

It's always a great Thanksgiving tradiion to go home for the holiday and check up on the Bluecoats before the drive back to D.C. I have seen every November camp since I aged out in '96 and I honestly have to say that I'm worried about the Bluecoats. Not many blue necklaces around necks this year and by the sounds they were putting out, you could really tell. The guard turnout wasn't great, but their talent was. They did a choreography routine to If I Were a Boy and a flag routine to Imagine which was great. This new caption head may be a godsend to that colorguard. You can tell he and his staff are very talented writers and are drawing good talent. The Bluecoats drumline will always be decent, but who knows if they'll ever be what they were under MacIntosh. It's possible, but they'll have to weed through a lot of people to get there. It's so hard to say this, but the hornline was, by far, the weakest part of the show-and-tell for me. At a camp when technique is being established, I would expect the upper bodies to look significantly better than they did. Even some people with the necklaces looked bad in the trumpet line. The sound was okay, but not the big Bluecoats brass I remember from '07 and '08, which made me really sad.

I really hope the Bluecoats can get some Texas all-stars mixed in this corps and really make it happen this year. I'm rooting for you guys!!! :-)

Now I'm certain that Wormholes exist.

My M.A. is in business. So not getting it! :-)

Edited by E. Polsky

My M.A. is in business. So not getting it! :-)

I think it's his lame attempt to say you're able to see into the future and "know" that the Bluecoats are going to maybe struggle next year. (?) I thought your post was a very good assessment of what you saw, in your opinion.

I think it's his lame attempt to say you're able to see into the future and "know" that the Bluecoats are going to maybe struggle next year. (?) I thought your post was a very good assessment of what you saw, in your opinion.

Gotcha! I was just really surprised. Not saying they're going to do badly this year, just saying that, from what I remember (and have on video), they weren't what they were over the past couple years this camp.

I'm a BIG Bluecoats fan and hope they do well always!

I went to the texas camp and was very impressed with what I saw. The thing about audition camps is that there are a lot of bad people, so yes, it isn't going to sound good.... never does.

I'm also absolutely sure that there will be a substantially larger number of vets than there were last year.

I joined a non-finalist drum corps.

I aged-out a Top 5 drum corps.

I didn't jump ship.

I didn't chase a ring.

I chased respect.

It's your time.

Six words.

Have I ever told you I love your signature? Because I do.