Bluecoats Camp Update?

In that case, I'm going to go see what my kids look like in the future and steal a hoverboard and sports almanac while I'm at it.

Where we're going, we won't need roads.

Rock on, Blue. Can't wait for Imagine.

btw what do you want me to do with the stack of old dci patches inside the pocket of your jacket?

:tongue:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I joined a non-finalist drum corps.

I aged-out a Top 5 drum corps.

I didn't jump ship.

I didn't chase a ring.

I chased respect.

It's your time.

Six words.

I too, love your sig. :tongue:

I didn't jump ship.

I didn't chase a ring.

I chased respect.

Let's ponder all of these in turn.

I didn't jump ship.

Those are all facts, so nothing to ponder.

I didn't chase a ring.

Are you saying that you didn't strive to achieve the highest levels of excellence? After all, achieving high levels of excellence is all that's required for "a ring." (and some luck)

I chased respect.

"to chase" implies that the object of your affection is always out of reach. Did you find it [respect], or did it constantly elude you? Did you always feel disrespected, and thus needing "to chase" it?

From my experience, I'd say respect is earned through high levels of excellence. Rings are earned through high(er) levels of excellence AND some luck.

lol Dudley or Detch were supposed to sew those on ages ago! That way it would keep growing over the years, starting with the ones that were initially on it.

And Bob-

Chasing a ring in DCI is going somewhere specifically to win. I know you only started in 06 when we were already good, but ask a Bluecoat circa 98, 99, 00, 01 about why they marched and it was never to win or get a ring. It was to take an organization that everybody seemed to just brush off as nothing special and DEMAND the respect that corps like BD and Vanguard already had. We didn't need to win to do it. We needed that air of badassity. We needed the level of performance and the well-designed shows that they had to get people talking. I envy anyone who came in post-04. They already had it built-in. :tongue:

I'm proud to say that the corps earned and I'm proud to have been there.

Need any more clarification? Ken Fanti is your man. Knows it better than anyone.

(edited because I suck at spelling after sleeping in past noon!)

Edited by BlooooContra

Chasing a ring in DCI is going somewhere specifically to win.

Is it possible that people "jump ship" [as you put it] because they think their levels of excellence will increase? Granted, Bloo's levels of excellence have increased recently, and in some aspects on par with the highest levels of all DCI. I'm not "arguing" that at all. I'm just sayin' that people "jump ship" for many reasons: better fit for their personality; higher levels of overall excellence; closer to home; need new challenges.

"jumping ship" can--and usually does--improve both corps.

FWIW, I would never diss a person for changing corps. As an instructor, it might bum me out during selfish moments, but my karma doesn't usually swing that way. If a member thinks the grass is greener elsewhere, then it is...for all parties...ya know what I mean?

If I were to write similar lines to yours, but for myself, I'd say it like this: "My loyalties were never in question." "My pride was directly proportional to my time with Blooo."

By your definition, anyone trying out for Cadets (who has marched elsewhere) must be a "ring chaser" this year, since Cadets has such a high probablitlity of winning. (E.I. High CI). (And the funny part is: I'd probably agree with you! HA!)

But we really don't know.

Don't read words that aren't there. You're smarter than that.

I said "ring chasing." People can leave for a multitude of reasons. Ring chasing is its own animal, an animal that ran pretty rampant when I got to the corps. Lots of people leave corps for very good reasons. I can think of one particular Blue vet who is going to the corps in 09 that made him fall in love with the activity. These things happen, and more power to them. I'm just glad that a lot of people in 00, 01, 02 realized that though they could easily go and perform with BD and the Cadets, they didn't, because they wanted to make their group just as good.

Like I said, only read what's written.

I'm going back off DCP for a while. I think I just remembered why I stayed away most of 08. lol

Have fun discussing. This thread has digressed enough.

Catch you all on tour!

-W

Edited by BlooooContra

Don't read words that aren't there. You're smarter than that.

I said "ring chasing." People can leave for a multitude of reasons. Ring chasing is its own animal, an animal that ran pretty rampant when I got to the corps. Lots of people leave corps for very good reasons. I can think of one particular Blue vet who is going to the corps in 09 that made him fall in love with the activity. These things happen, and more power to them. I'm just glad that a lot of people in 00, 01, 02 realized that though they could easily go and perform with BD and the Cadets, they didn't, because they wanted to make their group just as good.

Like I said, only read what's written.

I'm going back off DCP for a while. I think I just remembered why I stayed away most of 08. lol

Have fun discussing. This thread has digressed enough.

Catch you all on tour!

-W

Wow, I have that "parallel universe" feeling again, like I had at the beginning of this thread! I managed to offend someone I care about again, and don't even know how. (I'm good at that.)

If I were to write similar lines to yours, but for myself, I'd say it like this: "My loyalties were never in question." "My pride was directly proportional to my time with Blooo."

You speak of your time with the Bluecoats in the past tense twice. Interesting.

Additionally, if one were to derive a formula for your "time with Blooo," one could expect to see in a constant proportional equation the following:

If a = Loyalty, and

b = Time, and

c = Pride

Then, ac!

Furthermore, if one were to quantify the data in years, one would find that:

c ≤ 3 years

You speak of your time with the Bluecoats in the past tense twice. Interesting.

Additionally, if one were to derive a formula for your "time with Blooo," one could expect to see in a constant proportional equation the following:

If a = Loyalty, and

b = Time, and

c = Pride

Then, ac!

Furthermore, if one were to quantify the data in years, one would find that:

c ≤ 3 years

I'm interested. How exactly is b, Time, related in this proportional equation?