What have you done for the activity?

Soem how these topics always end up being a rant against the present state of drum corps. I cant believe the angst and anger I hear in many of the replies. I started this topic to bring to light things that people could do to help out drum corps.

Wow......lighten up people....its a hobby.

I'd have to disagree in that this is a hobby. It is not. It "was" years n years ago. It is all business now and has been for years, albeit a poorly run one.

And I'd have to disagree in your assumption that I'm ranting. I simply stated my personal case &/or viewpoints.

Most likely, I've been around a lot longer than you have and as a result, have seen the transformation.

I've been too close to the inside, have seen, heard and even wound up a result of the rediculous political BS that is

the driving force behind what drum corps today is. Unless you personally have been there, well......

Don't get me wrong, I see nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with growth, new directions et al, but somewhere, it (like anything else) need to retain some of it's roots. Not

all, but some - and here none exist. Most these days know not a thing of the roots or background. I do not "hate" the activity, but certainly do not love it as I did for well over 40 years.

Why I do not help at all, is a personal thing, not really for these pages. Indeed, THAT would be a rant, not to mention seriously embarrassing some some pretty powerful people way up

the chain of command. No rants here, as I said, if I can't speak my truth......especially out of first hand long term experience.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to disagree in that this is a hobby. It is not. It "was" years n years ago. It is all business now and has been for years, albeit a poorly run one.

And I'd have to disagree in your assumption that I'm ranting. I simply stated my personal case &/or viewpoints.

Most likely, I've been around a lot longer than you have and as a result, have seen the transformation.

I've been too close to the inside, have seen, heard and even wound up a result of the rediculous political BS that is

the driving force behind what drum corps today is. Unless you personally have been there, well......

Don't get me wrong, I see nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with growth, new directions et al, but somewhere, it (like anything else) need to retain some of it's roots. Not

all, but some - and here none exist. Most these days know not a thing of the roots or background. I do not "hate" the activity, but certainly do not love it as I did for well over 40 years.

Why I do not help at all, is a personal thing, not really for these pages. Indeed, THAT would be a rant, not to mention seriously embarrassing some some pretty powerful people way up

the chain of command. No rants here, as I said, if I can't speak my truth......especially out of first hand long term experience.

wow you really took this thing personally. I wasnt calling you out or even mentioning you nor did I quote you. And just for the record....I am 57 years old and have been involved in this activity in some way since 1961 so I guess your statement about being around longer is not relevant....I also stayed active in this whole marching genre the entire time....I have been director of two drum and bugle corps and three winterguards and on staff for two marching bands.

I will once again state that I meant for this topic to bring out ideas that could be passed on to people that "wanted' to help drum corps.

No doubt, my reply here will most likely bring down a lot of complaints. But, so be it - if I can't speak my truth, why bother?

I am 55 years old, & got my start in Brooklyn NY in 1962 in a small Sea Cadets parade Corps, moved to the OLC Ramblers, then to the NY Kingsmen and finally

marched in Garfield to end my marching days.

I went on a short hiatus for about 15 or so years - getting on with my life. Re-found Drum Corps by accident. I didn't get a lot of it and all the changes, but loved it none the less.

From 1989 - 2004 I spent every single summer on the road shooting shows. Renewed numerous friendships, and made plenty of new ones.

Now with the exception of DCA and the Alumni thing, it's my opinion that Drum Corps is all but dead. Granted, many changes have affected the Junior Corps world, but no doubt

the biggest guilty party is DCI itself. And if that was an actual "business" and a publicly traded entity, thatso called Executaive Director would have been out on his ### and collecting

unemployment years ago. (And this is by numbers alone). And again, it's just my opinion, but it's NOT art that moves, nor is it Braodway on a football field & it's STILL the 1/2 time,

NOT the game. There is NO growth, it shrinks & shrinks & shrinks & ........ year in & year out. Anyone who tells you it's about the kids, is full of it. It's about ego, greed and what will

you do for me this time. I could continue my rant, but I won't.

To be honest, I no longer do anything for the activity. I don't go to shows, no longer donate to my Cadets - and it pains me deeply, - make no mistake. But I was raised to believe that

if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

DCI? You Effed it all up. Lets hear it for mics, narration and synthesizers

God bless you Cozy. You'll be missed

Holy Crap, Dave!!! I've never known you to be this angry! Hope everything is okay. You have, of course, done a lot for the participants of this activity by making it possible for them and their families to see images of themselves performing, for which many of us are grateful. I will point out to you that many of your splendid images were of young people loving what they were doing. My guess is that DCI made at least some of that possible.

Peace my brother...

HAHAHA Ray....

THAT was not anger, you should have heard me back in 2004 !

Nice to keep "bumping" into you out here.

Simply stated, I am just not a fan of anything DCI. Maybe one day I'll publish some of my emails from Acheson so people can decide for themselves what a brilliant guy he is (sarcasm)

I was at Allentown on Saturday last summer for a Cadets drumline reunion & didn't even consider going inside the stadium.

Funny thing about drum corps discussion tho, and not just here but live and in person, published interviews etc...

It's always fluff and anytime someone pops up with a dissenting point of view, all hell breaks loose. So be it.

Not to sound like a s**t, but DCI really didn't make anything possible for me, I did it based on my reputation and talent, just like people such as you have.

(shrugs)

Looks like your kids are all doing well these days - & good to know. I can remember donating to Kevins' Crossmen fund at the Archie post long ago.

best,

DR

and yes, everything is just fine on my end - I am simply donating my time, talent and $$ elsewhere.

HAHAHA Ray....

THAT was not anger, you should have heard me back in 2004 !

Nice to keep "bumping" into you out here.

Simply stated, I am just not a fan of anything DCI. Maybe one day I'll publish some of my emails from Acheson so people can decide for themselves what a brilliant guy he is (sarcasm)

I was at Allentown on Saturday last summer for a Cadets drumline reunion & didn't even consider going inside the stadium.

Funny thing about drum corps discussion tho, and not just here but live and in person, published interviews etc...

It's always fluff and anytime someone pops up with a dissenting point of view, all hell breaks loose. So be it.

Not to sound like a s**t, but DCI really didn't make anything possible for me, I did it based on my reputation and talent, just like people such as you have.

(shrugs)

Looks like your kids are all doing well these days - & good to know. I can remember donating to Kevins' Crossmen fund at the Archie post long ago.

best,

DR

and yes, everything is just fine on my end - I am simply donating my time, talent and $$ elsewhere.

Whoops - bad writing on my part, Dave. I didn't mean to imply that DCI had done anything for you - your talent took care of that. I meant that DCI has made a grand stage for a lot of kids to perform for more people than most of them ever could have dreamed of. Even though I'm one of the older guys - I do offer my own dissenting opinion from many of our friends here - I think the activity could have disappeared during the '70s if DCI hadn't happened.

Personally I like the model of more & smaller corps, regionalized. But I still think that these kids have had an incredible run of performing all over the world. Some of that must be due to at least some of the people at DCI.

Don't worry - I rarely shrink from saying what I think - I'd never expect you to, either. I was just concerned because you're one of the good guys, and you really sounded beat into the ground on your post.

Catch you around a Bridgemen thing sometime - and yes - I haven't forgotten you kicking in at the post.

Stay well.

Edited by rayfallon