What have you done for the activity?

No doubt, my reply here will most likely bring down a lot of complaints. But, so be it - if I can't speak my truth, why bother?

I am 55 years old, & got my start in Brooklyn NY in 1962 in a small Sea Cadets parade Corps, moved to the OLC Ramblers, then to the NY Kingsmen and finally

marched in Garfield to end my marching days.

I went on a short hiatus for about 15 or so years - getting on with my life. Re-found Drum Corps by accident. I didn't get a lot of it and all the changes, but loved it none the less.

From 1989 - 2004 I spent every single summer on the road shooting shows. Renewed numerous friendships, and made plenty of new ones.

Now with the exception of DCA and the Alumni thing, it's my opinion that Drum Corps is all but dead. Granted, many changes have affected the Junior Corps world, but no doubt

the biggest guilty party is DCI itself. And if that was an actual "business" and a publicly traded entity, thatso called Executaive Director would have been out on his ### and collecting

unemployment years ago. (And this is by numbers alone). And again, it's just my opinion, but it's NOT art that moves, nor is it Braodway on a football field & it's STILL the 1/2 time,

NOT the game. There is NO growth, it shrinks & shrinks & shrinks & ........ year in & year out. Anyone who tells you it's about the kids, is full of it. It's about ego, greed and what will

you do for me this time. I could continue my rant, but I won't.

To be honest, I no longer do anything for the activity. I don't go to shows, no longer donate to my Cadets - and it pains me deeply, - make no mistake. But I was raised to believe that

if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

DCI? You Effed it all up. Lets hear it for mics, narration and synthesizers

God bless you Cozy. You'll be missed

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who tells you it's about the kids, is full of it. It's about ego, greed and what will

you do for me this time.

Hear, hear. At one time the activity was centered on getting people in the community to participate in something you didn't necessarily need prior musical training for--and competitions were more about rivalries and bragging rights than about operating dollars and opportunities for corporate sponsorship.

These days the junior drum and bugle corps experience is more for music and dance majors, not so much the kid off the street looking for a positive direction. I'm with you, 69Cadet--mine is not a very popular opinion either, but there you go.

What have I done for the activity? What I can afford monetarily and time-wise--tickets, dvd purchases--hell, maybe I'll even see if Southwind needs some help if they are able to field a corps next year--but my motivation to do so is waning as the junior activity continues to morph into something no longer recognizable.

I am one of the old guys on here that fondly remembers the good old days of the many corps and the use of G bugles and no electronics etc. But what have I done to stop the decline of the numbers of corps? I guess my answer now is not to dam much. I write on here about my good ole days but what do I do other than that? I go to some shows and whine to my friends about the decline of drum corps. I do run a bingo game for our winterguard that use to be a drumcorps....I couldnt stop that from happening alone. But other than that....I am guilty. Lets all brainstorm and put out some ideas about how we can help. I am willing and I know that there are others out there that want to help but dont really know how. As individuals we can promote change that will translate into change for the better.

This past weekend I drove 1,400 miles roundtrip to get two members to camp, then drove the airport runs to pick up and drop off members and staff who were flying in and out, and I also helped make all of the meals from Friday night snack through Sunday lunch.

Oh, and I get to do it all again in two-and-a-half weeks. :thumbup:

Hear, hear. At one time the activity was centered on getting people in the community to participate in something you didn't necessarily need prior musical training for--and competitions were more about rivalries and bragging rights than about operating dollars and opportunities for corporate sponsorship.

Corps that did not concentrate on operating dollars and economics are what we now call "defunct corps". That is both DCI era and pre-DCI.

As for musical training...kids in a community should participate in their scholastic music programs where parent tax dollars provide the funding. Actually, many kids in the corps I played with (see sig) did just that.

These days the junior drum and bugle corps experience is more for music and dance majors, not so much the kid off the street looking for a positive direction. I'm with you, 69Cadet--mine is not a very popular opinion either, but there you go.

If you check the rosters of the various corps, you will find that most are not music and dance majors...they have backgrounds in those things, but most are not majoring in music or dance in college. Some are, of course, as always.

Drum corps is still 'recognizable' to me. It's young people putting their hearts and souls into creating the best music/marching performance they can, just as we did.

Corps that did not concentrate on operating dollars and economics are what we now call "defunct corps". That is both DCI era and pre-DCI.

As for musical training...kids in a community should participate in their scholastic music programs where parent tax dollars provide the funding. Actually, many kids in the corps I played with (see sig) did just that.

If you check the rosters of the various corps, you will find that most are not music and dance majors...they have backgrounds in those things, but most are not majoring in music or dance in college. Some are, of course, as always.

Drum corps is still 'recognizable' to me. It's young people putting their hearts and souls into creating the best music/marching performance they can, just as we did.

So, no matter what, I can only support my Alumni Corps and do fund raisers for individuals wanting to participate in the current evolution (and that means no matter how far it has turned from what my memories of the "OLD SCHOOL" when everybody marched - even Tymps!) of what has become kind of creepy Drum Corps - No start, no middle no end - to no end.

There has at times been shows where I say to myself: "What are they running from?"

Puppet

I teach.

I mentor.

I volunteer.

I tell stories of the "old days".

I love drum corps....period. :thumbdown:

So, no matter what, I can only support my Alumni Corps and do fund raisers for individuals wanting to participate in the current evolution (and that means no matter how far it has turned from what my memories of the "OLD SCHOOL" when everybody marched - even Tymps!) of what has become kind of creepy Drum Corps - No start, no middle no end - to no end.

There has at times been shows where I say to myself: "What are they running from?"

Puppet

We each like what we like and support what we want. I would never tell you that you have to do anything...I am just giving my own opinion on things...then and now...from my experience going back to 1964.

Soem how these topics always end up being a rant against the present state of drum corps. I cant believe the angst and anger I hear in many of the replies. I started this topic to bring to light things that people could do to help out drum corps.

Wow......lighten up people....its a hobby.

our VFW was being torn down we had no place tp practice My parents let the entire horn line practice in our basement for the late winter early spring then in our back yard

Edited by gigiandjim