Blue Devils Reaction to Finals

Finals night was truthfully the most heartbreaking night of my life. Not only did we not attain our dream we had been working so hard for, it seemed like the whole world was ecstatic about our failure, as it seems like some members of this forum are. Happy that the Regiment won their first solo championship, but even happier that it was the big bad Blue Devils that had been defeated at the end.

I'm sure that there are people out there that were happy it was BD that lost, but I'm not one of those people. BD isn't even remotely the most hated drum corps out there. If there's anything that feeds this anger, it's been the artistic decisions of the corps in recent years. I've actually really appreciated BD over the last three years, which is unusual, and look forward to see where they go.

Let's be honest, the audience response wasn't about BD losing but about Spartacus winning. The show that went into Quarterfinals in 4th place, the show that unveiled an ending that was unmatched in the activity the week before, the show belonging to a corps that had never won an outright championship, the show that should have been going head-to-head with BD all Finals week instead of having to climb its way out of an early season average... it was a perfect storm that people were celebrating. To look at it as "and we hate BD" is a bit myopic.

It's a competition. These things happen. It's part of what makes the activity great. To argue that someone is bashing "the kids" is simply wrong.

You'll process this and move on from it. You'll be fine.

I am not bashing BD.....

And i do judge class of an organization by the organization as a whole. One classless act is a lot... especially since IMO some of the things BD members did was classless. Yes it is the character of that individual... but when you are in a drum corps, you are the drum corps, along with every other person on that field. You are a unit. One mistake effects the entire unit. Thats why I said if I knew classless acts were going on in my drum corps, I would get on that person (which I have done).

And like I said, they were not the least classy that night....IMO

I extremely respect BD, and what they do year in and year out, it is nothing short of amazing... but a big part of drum corps is class. It is considered "Marching Musics Major League" .... say the "professional" marching circuit of the world. Keep it classy. don't diminish the identity of DCI and marching music every where. This past paragraph is directed at everyone involved in DCI.

Once again, congrats to BD on an awesome season, and congrats to everyone else!

Ugh...

Anyway... What do people think of DCI's identity

2003 when BD and the Cavaliers were neck to neck all season. I've heard of accounts of Cavies members throwing fits after they came in second at finals night, not to mention several other occasions through out the summer season where they have slipped up.

The Blue Devils defeated the Cavaliers at the Indy show and dominated for the rest of the season, up to and including, all three nights of finals week. I think by then it would have been a forgone conclusion.

As an age-out member of the 2008 Blue Devils I would like to say a few things.

[...]

Finals night was truthfully the most heartbreaking night of my life. Not only did we not attain our dream we had been working so hard for, it seemed like the whole world was ecstatic about our failure, as it seems like some members of this forum are.

[...]

Our rookies were absolutely devastated. We felt like we had let Joe down. It was a very hard way to leave drum corps forever. Unfortunately, I will probably remember that night more than the night when I actually won the championship for the rest of my life.

personally, i think this says everything you need to know about the blue devils. the sentiment is not "well, we did EVERYTHING we could... left it all on the field, and in the end, the panel chose another flavor of ice cream," but rather "the lowpoint of my life was when the panel chose another corps."

what are they teaching you?

in the end, who gives a crap about who has medals or rings. i've got two rings and six medals -- whoopeeee! i didn't come home to a ticker-tape parade. my mom didn't start doing my laundry and cleaning up after me. girls didn't throw themselves at me. my car payment wasn't any lower.

if your dream is to win DCI, you've got some problems, because there is VERY LITTLE you can actually do to achieve your dream.

the last show is a CELEBRATION of the season, and if it doesn't go your way, it doesn't go your way. i can't imagine a whole season being based around what the judges think! you missed half the experience!

The blind opinions about the Blue Devils are garbage.

those who are blind about why people have certain opinions about certain corps need to learn some history. if you had witnessed some of the stupid-### things i've seen the blue devils do over the years, you'd be suspect too. perception is reality, friend. (my favorite is when they used to chant all the years they had won while entering the field. one year in july, they started adding the current year to the end. they didn't win. it was hilarious.)

The people who can be happy about kids having their hearts broken are garbage.

cry me a river. try joining a corps that gets booed.

look -- my best friend in the world is a bd alum. some of the people in my life i trust and adore most are blue devils. this does not change the fact that the overwhelming sense of entitlement felt by the corps is a bit off-putting. yeah yeah yeah BLUE SMOKE and all that... you're good. we got it.

now shut up and let the rest of us do our thing.

quit bashing bd and go back to the main topic

quit bashing bd and go back to the main topic

its not bashing if its the truth... and supported by evidence, and anyone who has said anything negative has added many positives to their post.... and the main topic is corps' identities.... we are talking about BD's in specific.

personally, i think this says everything you need to know about the blue devils. the sentiment is not "well, we did EVERYTHING we could... left it all on the field, and in the end, the panel chose another flavor of ice cream," but rather "the lowpoint of my life was when the panel chose another corps."

what are they teaching you?

in the end, who gives a crap about who has medals or rings. i've got two rings and six medals -- whoopeeee! i didn't come home to a ticker-tape parade. my mom didn't start doing my laundry and cleaning up after me. girls didn't throw themselves at me. my car payment wasn't any lower.

if your dream is to win DCI, you've got some problems, because there is VERY LITTLE you can actually do to achieve your dream.

the last show is a CELEBRATION of the season, and if it doesn't go your way, it doesn't go your way. i can't imagine a whole season being based around what the judges think! you missed half the experience!

those who are blind about why people have certain opinions about certain corps need to learn some history. if you had witnessed some of the stupid-### things i've seen the blue devils do over the years, you'd be suspect too. perception is reality, friend. (my favorite is when they used to chant all the years they had won while entering the field. one year in july, they started adding the current year to the end. they didn't win. it was hilarious.)

cry me a river. try joining a corps that gets booed.

look -- my best friend in the world is a bd alum. some of the people in my life i trust and adore most are blue devils. this does not change the fact that the overwhelming sense of entitlement felt by the corps is a bit off-putting. yeah yeah yeah BLUE SMOKE and all that... you're good. we got it.

now shut up and let the rest of us do our thing.

Don't be hating on BD. They expect to win because they expect absolute perfection every waking moment. I know BD almuni and they are not at alll like what you're saying. I suggest you reconsider you're opinion.

Don't be hating on BD. They expect to win because they expect absolute perfection every waking moment. I know BD almuni and they are not at alll like what you're saying. I suggest you reconsider you're opinion.

who's hating on BD. Did you even read a word of what he said??? I too, find it sad that the worst moment of one's life is NOT winning a championship. I've marched, I've won some, and I've lost some...and the fact is i probably have more fond memories of the losing years than the winning. I understand how much you put into it, and how big a deal it is at the time, but to still feel that way 4 months later is, well, not good...

There is a distinction between knowing you're good - and constantly telling everyone you're good. It sounds like the blue devils are trying to figure that one out. Good for them. Personally, i kind of enjoy the old way better- but if they keep that up, i dont want to hear the crying after the fact.

Don't be hating on BD. They expect to win because they expect absolute perfection every waking moment.

i know, and i think it is silly, because:

1 -- perfection is not possible;

2 -- basing your entire experience on whether or not you "win" is possibly the most superficial way to spend your life.

i know, and i think it is silly, because:

1 -- perfection is not possible;

2 -- basing your entire experience on whether or not you "win" is possibly the most superficial way to spend your life.

Well, when you are a proffesional, you try to get to as close to it as you can. That doesn't mean forgoing the enjoyment of music.