Stands for Marching Snares...

MikeN

Hey, all -

I've got a set of Yamaha Corps Custom snares that I need to buy stands for. They don't use Randall May marching stands, and I was hoping to avoid paying $115/ea for Dynasty marching stands. I'm figuring I can get regular double-braced snare stands if I can find ones that telescope high enough.

My question - has anyone had any luck in finding such stands? Most stands online don't have extension heights listed, so I'd be having to guess, otherwise. Does anyone know from experience good brands / models of stand to look for?

Thanks!

Mike

I just use a standard TAMA snare stand and telescope it until the desired playing height is achieved. You could also try and grab a standard concert snare stand (single or double braced, your choisce) as well and try to Jerry-rig it to accomodate a marching snare as well.

I have two Yamaha snare stands that work great for marching snares that I bought about 15 years ago. They are not double braced but don't need to be even considering the weight of a marching snare drum and go high enough for your needs since they're design for concert snare drums. The current version doesn't retail for much less than the Dynasty stands, and with the price being so close I'd opt for the Dynasty stands. Here's a link to the current model of the Yamaha stand I was referring to: http://wwbw.com/Yamaha-Concert-height-snar...d-i786324.music

Side note: You have Yamaha Corps Custom snares? As in the ones used in the early 90's before the SFZ model came out that have the arched lug casings and extra plys at the top of the shell? Any chance you're looking to get of one of them or have a source for them?

Edited by Hulka

Do you know which model of Tama stand? The problem I'm having is that the Pearl one I used to have (and several other "generic" models) don't get high enough.

Mike

Isn't that what the hard snare case lids are for? :thumbup: (to get it up high enough when using cheap stands). Seriously, I as many of my mates in CAC snareline, invested in the Dynasty stands for their robustness, flexibility and durability -- on sale for $99 with zero shipping cost at the time. The thing is absolutely rock solid and well worth it for longterm.

Haha yes, the old snare case lids... gotta love it! I think we bought those Dynasty stands through Steve Weiss maybe but I can't jog the old noggin to confirm.

I actually bought a concert snare with stand off eBay a few years ago just for the stand for my marching snare. It was pretty cheap. I fixed up the concert snare and sold it on eBay for more than I bought it for with the stand.

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/300...ussion-hardware

Check this out. It take any standard drum set height snare stand and converts it into concert height. If you have a current stand that dosen't go high enough, pay $25 and you're golden.

Nice find!

• 1 year later...

So, I'm looking to buy ten snare stands and found this thread. No one really answered the question. Any new double braced set snare stands out there that can hold a marching snare to height?