Stands for Marching Snares...

MikeN

Not necessarily new but the Pearl S-1000 stand is double-braced and goes high enough for a marching snare drum. This is the same stand Santa Claara Vanguard has used for years and the stands Blue Devils used when they switched to Pearl last year.

http://www.pearldrum.com/Products/Marching...arl-Stands.aspx

stand_snare.jpg

Thanks for that. I called Steve Weiss Music and they didn't know what concert stands some of the corps were using. They suggested looking at the Gilbralter 5606ex as stand that would fit the budget and work. I've narrowed it down to a concert snare stand, as the tripod bass is wider. The extension tube is nice to raise the snare basket on a standard set stand, but the tripod bass is smaller. I really should break out some of my stands and measure them up, I have Dynasty snare stand but it is too expensive to buy 10 of them.

Are you sure the Devs and SCV used the Pearl S1000? The S1000L is the extended height (concert) version.

Narrowing it down to (prices on SW, will try to find cheaper), they are all double braced:

Gilbraltar 5606EX - 26" to 40" - $55

Gilbraltar 7606EX - 31" to 45" - $63.45 (found them on clearance for $50 on another site)

Pearl S1000L - $90 - based on previous post - no height given on site, this is the concert version though

Edited by jonnyboy

Not necessarily new but the Pearl S-1000 stand is double-braced and goes high enough for a marching snare drum. This is the same stand Santa Claara Vanguard has used for years and the stands Blue Devils used when they switched to Pearl last year.

http://www.pearldrum.com/Products/Marching...arl-Stands.aspx

stand_snare.jpg

I've got one of these bad boys and let me tell you, this is one heavy-duty stand. It brings my Sfz up well above my belly button (and I'm 6'1") and the foot spread is over 4 feet when fully extended, making it stable as a rock.

Very well made, with rubber bumpers that will outlast most other stands' metal.

the school I tech at just saved a good chunk of change buying the Yamaha Concert Stands for all of our snares, instead of buying the stadium hardware stands (we bought stadium hardware for the rest of the line though).

We figured that we'd get a LOT more use out of the concert stands, outside of marching season.

the school I tech at just saved a good chunk of change buying the Yamaha Concert Stands for all of our snares, instead of buying the stadium hardware stands (we bought stadium hardware for the rest of the line though).

We figured that we'd get a LOT more use out of the concert stands, outside of marching season.

What model stand did you get? Are the legs double braced? And the big question....(double stroke roll).....Would you buy them again?

For me, the whole issue of "what marching snare stands to buy" is completely circumvented by a supremely practical feature of Dynasty's Wedge snares: their light weight. Only 11 pounds. No sore shoulders, backs and muscles. Period.

Consequently there's no need to purchase, set-up, take-down, transport, store, and replace stands for them whatsoever. Stands aren't needed. The problem's solved before it becomes a problem. Wedge snares take up only half the storage space of conventional snares, too. And one final, very minor point: Wedge snares don't cost as much as conventional, bigger, heavier snares either... which means (dare I write this?) more bang for the buck.

No, I'm not a rep for Dynasty or any store.

Edited by Jim Nevermann

Are you sure the Devs and SCV used the Pearl S1000? The S1000L is the extended height (concert) version.

Yep, positive.