WHY DCA is in Rochester, N.Y.

First off, I love how there is a city fighting to keep DCA in. I think that is extremely important in the process when it comes to rewarding who gets DCA Championships. I love that officials work with DCA making sure that schools house people, there are hotels for our use, as well as fans.

That being said, as a performer, Rochester is awful to perform in. At least in my opinion.

You look at the stands, and it could be 8,000 people there, and it looks like 1,000.

When it comes to fans, you may not want to be in this lower level like a pro-football stadium where the top of the field level is a few hundred feet back, but as a performer...I don't know, you want there to be some depth. It looks like you are playing for no one out there. It's like my high school's stadium, rather then having high stands, they chose to have small stands and spread lengthwise.

I walk into Paetec stadium, and I don't get that same feeling like your walking into Allentown, or Giants Stadium. Has nothing to do with the difference in the amount of seats between the 3, but even if you were to just step foot on the field of Allentown at night with a full crowd, you would know what I'm talking about.

Obviously I know DCA isn't going to get a Giants Stadium, but I'm just using it as a reference point, that when you walk in...you can't help but get this feeling washing over you that you are in a special place, that this is championships.

One of the only places I've gotten that feeling as a performer in DCA, is Chambersburg, and to some degree...Scranton (new stadium.)

Like I said, this is all my opinion. Probably doesn't mean squat, nor should it require a lengthy rebuttal on how I'm wrong about everything. I stated in the very beginning that Rochester fighting to keep us there definitely means something, I just hope that it does take a hiatus out of there soon.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:bla: :bla: :bla: :bla: :bla: :bla:

Wow, that is seriously not the type of response I was expecting...AT ALL.

I didn't bash championships, or said anything that it was run badly, the city or anything derogatory to you or your committee, just expressed my opinion on the downfalls of the stadium itself from a performer's standpoint.

I am extremely disappointed that people are so quick to dismiss the thoughts of some marching members.

That being said, I do however understand in the grand scheme of things, the thoughts coming from the members may not be that high on the list when it comes to awarding a bid and from a financial standpoint, it probably shouldn't. I just wish what I said was at least replied to in a respectful manner.

I didn't bash championships, or said anything that it was run badly, the city or anything derogatory to you or your committee, just expressed my opinion on the downfalls of the stadium itself from a performer's standpoint.

I am extremely disappointed that people are so quick to dismiss the thoughts of some marching members.

That being said, I do however understand in the grand scheme of things, the thoughts coming from the members may not be that high on the list when it comes to awarding a bid and from a financial standpoint, it probably shouldn't. I just wish what I said was at least replied to in a respectful manner.

I bet we could get 12,000 people in Frontier Field.

My :bla: :bla: :bla: isn't directed at you. It's directed at this entire thread. What I have learned over the past 4 years is that there is no perfect city and no perfect stadium and when you deal with thousands of people you can't please them all. This subject has come up again and again and again and again for the past several years. So all I say is :bla: :bla: :bla: :bla: No offence should be taken.

First off, I love how there is a city fighting to keep DCA in. I think that is extremely important in the process when it comes to rewarding who gets DCA Championships. I love that officials work with DCA making sure that schools house people, there are hotels for our use, as well as fans.

That being said, as a performer, Rochester is awful to perform in. At least in my opinion.

You look at the stands, and it could be 8,000 people there, and it looks like 1,000.

When it comes to fans, you may not want to be in this lower level like a pro-football stadium where the top of the field level is a few hundred feet back, but as a performer...I don't know, you want there to be some depth. It looks like you are playing for no one out there. It's like my high school's stadium, rather then having high stands, they chose to have small stands and spread lengthwise.

I walk into Paetec stadium, and I don't get that same feeling like your walking into Allentown, or Giants Stadium. Has nothing to do with the difference in the amount of seats between the 3, but even if you were to just step foot on the field of Allentown at night with a full crowd, you would know what I'm talking about.

Obviously I know DCA isn't going to get a Giants Stadium, but I'm just using it as a reference point, that when you walk in...you can't help but get this feeling washing over you that you are in a special place, that this is championships.

One of the only places I've gotten that feeling as a performer in DCA, is Chambersburg, and to some degree...Scranton (new stadium.)

Like I said, this is all my opinion. Probably doesn't mean squat, nor should it require a lengthy rebuttal on how I'm wrong about everything. I stated in the very beginning that Rochester fighting to keep us there definitely means something, I just hope that it does take a hiatus out of there soon.

some of your point's are very valid. in 1972 the a.l. nats were in the old soldiers field. there was 27,000 people there. the crowd looked small from the field but i'll tell you what.......you knew you were in a very special place. with the columns and the whole stadium experience that was awsome. like you said " you knew it was the championship". totally awsome!!!!!

I bet we could get 12,000 people in Frontier Field.

for what it's worth back in the day we could get 18,000 - 22,000 at the old holleder/aquinas stadium. if there is interes they will come. bruni did some hellacious advertising in those day's.

My :bla: :bla: :bla: isn't directed at you. It's directed at this entire thread. What I have learned over the past 4 years is that there is no perfect city and no perfect stadium and when you deal with thousands of people you can't please them all. This subject has come up again and again and again and again for the past several years. So all I say is :bla: :bla: :bla: :bla: No offence should be taken.

Understood, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yes but leaving the championships year after year in a average size city does not help southern corps, western corps, and New England Corps to increase in numbers; increase the number of corps involved in DCA expanding contests and revenue; and help DCA expand and increase the educational value for children that participate in DCA corps. It helps corps and youth in western New York and Northern PA. DCA should consider spreading the event and expanding DCA and the quality education available for the youth in the USA and Canada.

Also, at Foxboro there exists two major airports using either Southwest or Jet Blue for reduced fairs.

Amtrak stations

Plenty of hotels, from hole in the walls to 5 star hotels

the Patriot Place at Gillette Stadium provides the best I&E venue that has ever been built!

Area cities are also partaking in the event by hosting a brief (1/2 mile) parade in several cities welcoming corps and inviting more people to the event. Also waking up all the young adults, children, and seniors, not to mention drum corps alumni, from corps that existed throughout the area. Corps would be paid.

Many school districts have also volunteered their home stadiums for rehearsals as well as offered to feed the corps lunch on Saturday and Sunday of the event.

Most importantly, DCA needs to spread the interest and word to other parts of the USA. If DCA is to succeed, it needs to leave Scranton and Rochester to other cities. Let it be Foxboro, this time; Central Ohio next, California, then Atlanta. DCA needs to spread to allow the corps no one knows the opportunity to participate and recieve exposure from DCA traveling. DCA grows when it expands! It is time to expand DCA by leaving Rochester! Rochester was great and Scranton too, but both these cities are brick walls.

have no fear, Scranton is history