Tiny, but interesting things you've seen.

God, the fact that this has to be explained makes me feel old.

Pardon me while I go chase the kids off my lawn.

I'm confident even if I were of an age to be able to pay attention to pop culture at that time, I still wouldn't have known or cared about baseball players. So it shouldn't make you feel old, necessarily.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confident even if I were of an age to be able to pay attention to pop culture at that time, I still wouldn't have known or cared about baseball players. So it shouldn't make you feel old, necessarily.

This was around the time Sosa and McGuire were both going to break Maris' single-season home run record...there was a lot of media attention on the race and we saw the Sosa gesture a lot...I don't even like baseball that much, and I got the reference.

This was around the time Sosa and McGuire were both going to break Maris' single-season home run record...there was a lot of media attention on the race and we saw the Sosa gesture a lot...I don't even like baseball that much, and I got the reference.

Still, I wouldn't be/am not watching the news. Perhaps it's just kind of because I hate pop culture, so I'm kind of a bad example. Feel old, then, whatever. :D

phantom 08

when the corps is coming on to the field and the slaves (guard) are suffering and being beaten, after the drum major dispute you see a guard member reaching for a tenor player as if asking for help. the tenor player then gives him a big kick to the head and the slave goes down. a close friend of mine who spun with phantom told me that that "scene" was completely improvised on the spot. i dont know if im telling it 100% accurate, but from what i got from my friend telling me, as the guard guy was looking back, he noticed the camera was on him and he was on the jumbotron. so when we see him desperately reaching to the tenor player for mercy, he's really saying "hit me! we're on camera, hit me!" and they completely improvised the kick and reaction on the spot.

i am still blown away by this. the backstory behind it makes it one of my all time favorite drum corps moments. it really is a testament to how drum corps is not just made up of musicians and dancers, but for well, fully rounded performers.

Simply incredible.

I listen to shows way more than I watch, so I can't find many visual quirks.

he did something like a peace sign kissed it touched his heart then pointed up. or he did a little side skip down the 1st baseline.

being from ca. st. louis, im surprised you dont know about that(mcgwire being on the cardinals and it was practically forced upon everyone who lives in or around stl.), but then if your in hs, you were at most 7 or 8 when it went on, which makes him old :tongue:

edit:sammy-sosa-points.jpg or chatter_sosa.jpga_sosa_i.jpg

for the first pic if its an 'X' right click and click show picture, in case you didnt already know.

Edited by doyle079

The Sammy Sosa sign? Is that what you're talking about. From 98-99 Sosa and McGwire were huge news, so I think they threw that in there as a pop culture tidbit. It's the little thing he does when he runs out to the outfield, or hits a home run, or whatever.

yeah, it is the thing that sosa did, but it has also been in every braddock independent winter guard show for as long as anyone remembers. those were the years that april was in charge of both groups, and she loves to put in little stuff like that. (not to mention that there had to be at least 10 braddock people in that guard... a kind of shout-out, i think.)

being from ca. st. louis, im surprised you dont know about that(mcgwire being on the cardinals and it was practically forced upon everyone who lives in or around stl.), but then if your in hs, you were at most 7 or 8 when it went on, which makes him old :tongue:

I still wouldn't have been paying attention to the Cardinals. :music: Actually, I was more likely to pay attention to the Cardinals when I was 8 or so (I was a McGwire fan, haha, ignorance...) than if I were grown. I can't even recall the name of the guy who is the "most famous" around here, anyway, who's on the Cardinals, nor if he's still on the team. :S

but it has also been in every braddock independent winter guard show for as long as anyone remembers. those were the years that april was in charge of both groups

I bet that has everything to do with it. Very interesting. :O