Cozy Baker Memorial

Ed Mason,

I am grateful for what you are doing. My family situation does not permit me to attend, but please know my mind will be with Cozy and your effort this weekend. Cozy truly was drum corps at its best. I was blessed to have Cozy as a friend.

Thanks again.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed Mason,

I am grateful for what you are doing. My family situation does not permit me to attend, but please know my mind will be with Cozy and your effort this weekend. Cozy truly was drum corps at its best. I was blessed to have Cozy as a friend.

Thanks again.

Thank you sir.Its a honor to serve him in such a capacity.

Things have come together quite nicely in the last few days.Everyone that is performing seem to be very excited and ready to roll.

Folks this is going to be Cozy's drum corps,and to use his own words we plan to "serve his music on a Manhassett silver tray in vibrant colors ,not sepia and gape his pie hole"

He would not have wanted it any other way!!!!!!!! :thumbs-up::thumbdown:

Edited by camel lips

Day of :tongue:

Well Cozy's celebration of life was simply fantastic.To hear all of the speakers get up and pour their hearts out about Cozy was both enlightening and electric all at the same time.So many of us knew Cozy as Cozy but to many he was Micheal Anthony Baker.He lead a very fulfilling life and left behind memories that will sit with us for many years to come.

The hardest part for me was seeing Cozy's Glasses and Soprano sitting on the table.Cozy was with us no doubt.That hangover that came at the end of Lonely Bull no doubt came from his spirit. :sad:

I would like to thank the following people for their contributions.

Kenny Norman,Your guidance and arrangements were simply wonderful and easy to follow.Without you this would have never come together.I only wish you could have been there to be with us.

Steve Masters AKA Hairbear.You got the ball rolling on this.Thanks for all your help.It was wonderful to have you along the way.Wish you could have made the gig.

Corpsvets/Ott Family.Georgia was a huge hit.Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Kilties Auld Lang Syne.You guys are the best.THANK YOU

To the horn line.With only a 2 hour rehearsal you guys went above and beyond the call of duty.You guys rock :tongue::sad: :sad: :sad:

Hunter Moss Corpsvets Soprano

John Zaragoza Steel City Ambassadors/Corpsvets Soprano

John Hoekstra SunDevils Soprano

John Donovan Team DCP Soprano

Scott Gordon UAH Ala/Huntsville

Tammy Hoekstra SunDevils Mello

Larry Rouse Corpsvets Mello

Stacy Williams Corpsvets Baritone (Yes Baritone) :beer:

Dave Leland Renegades Baritone

Jeffrey Errickson Kilties Contra

Bill McGrath Empire Statesmen Snare (Great guidance through out.Darn glad to have had you on board.Great Solo.)

Traci Bluhm Drum Major Derby City Knights (Great Job working the charts and leading Cozy's Drum and Bugle corps.)

I am sure I am leaving out a gazillion people that helped along the way.Thank you one and all for your contributions.

Edited by camel lips

Ed,

Thank YOU for pulling this together and making it happen. It was a bitter-sweet day of remembrance and celebration. There weren't too many dry eyes in the house - mine included. It was an honor playing with 'Cozy's Corps'.

For Jill, Joe, and the rest of his family - thank you for letting us share in your memorial for him.

-john

Thanks Ed for doing this. i am so sorry that I was not able to attend as I was in Milwaukee teaching kids about drum corps.

When I talked to Hairbear about it, he said that Cozy would have it no other way, that I keep my commitment at Pioneer. Cozy knows how much I cared for him.

Thanks again you guys!

Donny Allen

Ed,

Thank YOU for pulling this together and making it happen. It was a bitter-sweet day of remembrance and celebration. There weren't too many dry eyes in the house - mine included. It was an honor playing with 'Cozy's Corps'.

For Jill, Joe, and the rest of his family - thank you for letting us share in your memorial for him.

-john

It indeed was an honor to play in 'Cozy's Corps' with the fine people who made the trip from EVERYWHERE!

It is something I will remember the rest of my life.

There is nothing harder then playing taps for a dear friend. Its like the final good bye.

John Hoekstra

It was simply an incredible day - he would have been equally proud and embarassed by the blending of his 'real' and 'drum corps' families, which interestingly turned out to be about 50/50 of the total in attendance. Depending on which side of the aisle you were sitting, he was either "Michael" or "Cozy". But regardless of the memories or stories, it was all about the same guy, and everyone would nod in that "yep, that's him" confirmation.

It was a pleasure to visit one more time in his memory, to meet up with some old friends and make some new ones - exactly as he would have if he walked into a strange room.

Anyone who didn't make the ceremony but would like to go visit Cozy really need to do so. Guntersville State Park is an incredibly beautiful area, and a fitting place for one of his chosen final resting places.

While we were rehearsing in the parking lot at Monroe Community College for DCA, I just happen to look up and notice Cozy...it was great to see his expression as he enjoyed our performance.

The drum corps community will miss him dearly... :glare:

Edited by Aloysius