Favorite Pit Features

We had best drumbreaks now lets hear best pit features.

The intro to Phantom 2007 immediately comes to mind. Very captivating and beautiful.

Phantom 2006 after the opener. The musical nuances are just amazing.

Phantom 2005 pit accelarando.

BD 2000 pit accelarando. One of the first pit featured moments and definately one of the most memorable.

Phantom 2008 pit stuff with the mello solo. Just gorgeous.

I think the way Paul Rennick and staff over at phantom are using the pit these days is remarkable. The pits at phantom are always extremely musical, and they are featured in the most musical contexts.

What are your favorites?

Picture Jerry Stiller yelling so loud that his voice cracks...

1975 MADISON !

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed with 2003 Cavies, that's my first thought. Beautiful work... also agree with 2007 Phantom, 2007 BD. "Clair de Lune" last year was also basically a pit feature, and as such it was very very nice. Someone mentioned the middle section of "Scythian Suite" from 2006 Phantom, but my favorite pit work in that is in the battery/pit section of Piano Concerto... not a solo pit feature, but the battery is mostly a background role and the pit really has the melody, and it's pretty demanding stuff (though perhaps a little easier than it looks), a lot of interweaving lines and beautifully done.

I also love listening to the pit from 03 Phantom, as Wild Nights has an awesome continuous background noise of arpeggios and angelic bells and chimes and crotales that interweave very nicely, and Ostinato's edginess and the loud discordant vibe chords and the deadstroke sections are brilliant. Again, not pit features... but my favorite pit moments.

Also last year, Bluecoats after the hero is defeated, the short pit section and then the work under the brass is beautiful.

I'll just stop typing now.

89 BD - beginning of show - WOW!!

Stole mine! Grrrrrrrrrrr.

'07 Opening statement from the pit..Just too good. The Musicality from the players and the book over the last several seasons has been Excellent. Thank you Rennick and company.

Agreed that BD 2000 was an awesome pit moment...

Some of my favorite pits were Cadets 2003, Phantom 2007/2008, Bluecoats 2006, and SCV 2004

All of scv 99, particularly when they are playing Barbers second symphony. Very tasty stuff.

Beginning of Glassmen 2001. No keyboards but fantastic timbres. a true percussion ensemble moment.

06 Cadets early season they had the first minute or two of the show as a pit and vocal feature. Very impressive pit moment although the vocal controversy (i'm assuming) pressured them to take it out.