Best use of Electronics

I think IF Phantom uses them it will be done very tastfully and well.

To me, a brass guy, Sandi Rennick is the best front ensemble arranger out there. She not only gives them lots of notes to play but she also gets the most tone colors and musicianship out of them. She actually gets so many colors and textures I'm not sure WHY she would need to use electronics.

I don't know what her and Paul's experience with electronics is or if they'll use them but if they do I think it will be incorperated into the overall pit texture the way it should be.

Its funny how a well liked corps is just assumed that they will use them well, while everybodys "Villians" (cadets, blue devils) are assumed otherwise.

In any case, Paul Rennick has used them alot in the past. His collegiate group used electronics wonderfully.

As far as "Why" they would use them, simple.

They are going to be be used for percussive effects. There are some great possibilities to use electronic effects along side (not "instead of").

Its a new paradigm. The current "stuff" + This.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it takes them the whole year to figure it out. Some mid-season shows were way out of balance as far as the pit/announcer/corps goes.

So what?

It takes the whole year for the snare line to be clean, for the trumpets to get thier feet in time, for the tubas to line up with the mellophones.

In other words, drum corps as a whole takes the full season.

Why would this be any different?

Yes but I think their role is more with the battery at MV and RX. Credit is due to the front ensemble writers responsible for these effects, Jim Wunderlich (MV/BD) and Andrew Markworth (RX/Carolina Crown). I expect both to do some great things with their productions this year.

Thats true, but alot of the effect in their shows was programmed by these guys as well from a design standpoint. As always, it was a collaborative effort.

I cant wait to see what the whole team brings to it.

So what?

It takes the whole year for the snare line to be clean, for the trumpets to get thier feet in time, for the tubas to line up with the mellophones.

In other words, drum corps as a whole takes the full season.

Why would this be any different?

there is a HUGE difference between being clean and being balanced. When listening to my dad's bluegrass band play at a a gig, it takes me, at most, 10 seconds to tell which mic is too hot, which instrument is too hot, which is too quiet, etc.

balancing sound only requires the ability to hear...cleaning music requires skill and practice.

Right, and your dads bluegrass band has less than 2 minutes to do a sound check right? Apples and oranges bro, don't even go there.

great point here, and the biggest reason i'm opposed to the use of electronics on the field:there's just no way to use them competently and professionally within the activity as it is currently structured. when i compare the slapdash use of amplification on the field with the incredible precision of marching, musical performance, and guard/dance work i choke on it. i think the only remotely effective use of electronics in a drum corps show was in 07 crown, where they used a crappy pa on a field in a stadium to portray the sound of, well, a crappy pa on the field in a stadium. it came across as entirely natural and believable, the rest of the time electronics are about as well integrated as a mime in a death metal concert. competency of use is such a core feature of drum corps i can't believe how many people are willing to discard the principle entirely just to focus on one narrowly defined style of "innovation". there is no achievement in electronics.

Right, and your dads bluegrass band has less than 2 minutes to do a sound check right? Apples and oranges bro, don't even go there.

don't call someone bro unless they're actually your bro. brodom is a sacred bond.

best use of amps...the Who in the 60's at the end of a show.

i think the only remotely effective use of electronics in a drum corps show was in 07 crown, where they used a crappy pa on a field in a stadium to portray the sound of, well, a crappy pa on the field in a stadium.

That's was SUPPOSED to be crappy? Sounded like an amp turned up to high. Bluecoats '07 is much better with the megaphone.

Anyway, I consider electronics to be well-used when it takes awhile for the audience to realize they're even being used.