From the family of Rick Rogers Jr.

We have spent the past few days trying to find words to express our gratitude for the outpouring of love and support that we received from the very moment the first person heard about Rick's death. To say we are overwhelmed does not even begin to cover our emotions. We don't know how to even begin to thank the drum corps and marching band communities for not only their flowers, donations, cards, emails and phone calls, but the people that came to Newark - some from very far distances - to say good bye to Rick, was more than we could have ever expected or imagined. He would have found it to be quite the party and reunion with many old friends, and I know he was smiling down on us.

To those of you from CA Palmer, the Geneva Appleknockers, Watkin Glen Squires, Phoenix, Purple Lancers, Statesmen, Hitmen, Primetime, Thunderbirds, Brigadiers, White Sabers, Kingston Grenadiers and Ghost Riders - we thank you so very much - you all meant so very much to Rick and it was so wonderful to meet many of you after hearing your names for so many years. The tribute from the Ghost Riders at the service meant so very much and we will always be grateful that you played in his service and for the hat presentation. Thank you also so very much to Joey Pero, Donny Allen and Nick Filia for playing so beautifully for Rick. I wish I knew the names of all of the Ghost Riders so I could thank you all individually, but please know that you all are equally appreciated. I know it couldn't have been easy to play on such an emotional day.

To those from Eastridge, Marcus Whitman, Jordan Elbridge, Auburn, and Oswego - please know how happy he was when he was teaching his students. No matter how far he had to drive for rehearsals from Oswego, he left and came home always smiling while I was nervous waiting at home!

We thank the NYS Percussion Circuit for honoring Rick's memory by establishing the Annual Rick Rogers Memorial Award to be given to the top snare lines at the NYSPC championships. He would have been, and we are so thrilled that you are honoring the young people that Rick loved to teach so much in his name. Marcus Whitman - go get that trophy for Rick - he really loved you all.

To our family at Cru - what can I even begin to say. You started as my family in '79 and became the place where Rick and I met in '80. Our years together there were happy ones, and even though I retired I have always loved hearing Rick's Cru stories after corps weekends. You embraced us and more recently embraced Sara and Josh. Gary - the video is beautiful and I promise to watch it with the music turned up sometime in the next few weeks! The love that you put into that tribute was evident and very appreciated by his entire family.

To our protectors this past week - Gary Goldstein, Mike Linton, Dan Gorman, Mike Pafka and Bill Oney - thank you so much for taking such good care of us and checking on us this week. Yes - I do take seriously your offer that if there is anything we need that I will call. We know that there are many of you that will be there for us each day from now on and that is more comforting than you know.

Mike - I've told you how I feel - on behalf of all of Rick's family we are so very grateful - there really are not enough words for the generosity.

I apologize if I have forgotten to thank anyone or any organization - this was a surreal week that has left us all in a blur. Please know that all and everyone that contributed to the love and support were appreciated.

Now for our request of all of you. Please, please in Rick's memory, take care of your health and go for that medical test that you have put off for now. Rick had been playing volleyball, was active in Tae Kwon Do and working when this happened. Please let this be your wake up call to take care of yourself and go for that stress test or annual physical or whatever you need to do to take care of yourself. 53 was not the time to leave us. Remember that there are some of you that I've asked to mail me your results - don't think I'm not serious - as you check on us - I will be checking on you.

We love and thank you all,

Cheryl, Josh and Sara Rogers

P.S. To those of you at the service you will understand this PS. Taps was perfect - he would have been loving it!

IMG_0044.jpg

Edited by Cheryl

Wow....that is awesome.

You are very welcome Cheryl.

Donny

Cheryl,Josh and Sara,

Anything for you, guys......I can see how and why Rick chose such a beautiful and classy lady for a life partner!

I promise to schedule a stress test this week and will be checking in with you!

Your correct.........Rick was too young and healthy acting........... and it just isn't right!

Love ya!

Cheryl,

I had an appointment today with my doctor and thought it was a check up and then the nurse said, "physical today!" My blood pressure was great 106/78 and cholestoerol levels look great. I had the scare back in April and I watch what I eat, no more drinking. You are so right about getting checked especially as we get older.

God bless you and your family and know that this drum corps community is awesome and especially Mike Linton and Gary Goldstein and others with Cru. Everyday I think about drum corps I wish I was in Rochester to be with the corps.

We have spent the past few days trying to find words to express our gratitude for the outpouring of love and support that we received from the very moment the first person heard about Rick's death. To say we are overwhelmed does not even begin to cover our emotions. We don't know how to even begin to thank the drum corps and marching band communities for not only their flowers, donations, cards, emails and phone calls, but the people that came to Newark - some from very far distances - to say good bye to Rick, was more than we could have ever expected or imagined. He would have found it to be quite the party and reunion with many old friends, and I know he was smiling down on us.

To those of you from CA Palmer, the Geneva Appleknockers, Watkin Glen Squires, Phoenix, Purple Lancers, Statesmen, Hitmen, Primetime, Thunderbirds, Brigadiers, White Sabers, Kingston Grenadiers and Ghost Riders - we thank you so very much - you all meant so very much to Rick and it was so wonderful to meet many of you after hearing your names for so many years. The tribute from the Ghost Riders at the service meant so very much and we will always be grateful that you played in his service and for the hat presentation. Thank you also so very much to Joey Pero, Donny Allen and Nick Filia for playing so beautifully for Rick. I wish I knew the names of all of the Ghost Riders so I could thank you all individually, but please know that you all are equally appreciated. I know it couldn't have been easy to play on such an emotional day.

To those from Eastridge, Marcus Whitman, Jordan Elbridge, Auburn, and Oswego - please know how happy he was when he was teaching his students. No matter how far he had to drive for rehearsals from Oswego, he left and came home always smiling while I was nervous waiting at home!

We thank the NYS Percussion Circuit for honoring Rick's memory by establishing the Annual Rick Rogers Memorial Award to be given to the top snare lines at the NYSPC championships. He would have been, and we are so thrilled that you are honoring the young people that Rick loved to teach so much in his name. Marcus Whitman - go get that trophy for Rick - he really loved you all.

To our family at Cru - what can I even begin to say. You started as my family in '79 and became the place where Rick and I met in '80. Our years together there were happy ones, and even though I retired I have always loved hearing Rick's Cru stories after corps weekends. You embraced us and more recently embraced Sara and Josh. Gary - the video is beautiful and I promise to watch it with the music turned up sometime in the next few weeks! The love that you put into that tribute was evident and very appreciated by his entire family.

To our protectors this past week - Gary Goldstein, Mike Linton, Dan Gorman, Mike Pafka and Bill Oney - thank you so much for taking such good care of us and checking on us this week. Yes - I do take seriously your offer that if there is anything we need that I will call. We know that there are many of you that will be there for us each day from now on and that is more comforting than you know.

Mike - I've told you how I feel - on behalf of all of Rick's family we are so very grateful - there really are not enough words for the generosity.

I apologize if I have forgotten to thank anyone or any organization - this was a surreal week that has left us all in a blur. Please know that all and everyone that contributed to the love and support were appreciated.

Now for our request of all of you. Please, please in Rick's memory, take care of your health and go for that medical test that you have put off for now. Rick had been playing volleyball, was active in Tae Kwon Do and working when this happened. Please let this be your wake up call to take care of yourself and go for that stress test or annual physical or whatever you need to do to take care of yourself. 53 was not the time to leave us. Remember that there are some of you that I've asked to mail me your results - don't think I'm not serious - as you check on us - I will be checking on you.

P.S. To those of you at the service you will understand this PS. Taps was perfect - he would have been loving it!

IMG_0044.jpg

Nothing but Class Cheryl.

It was a pleasure knowing Rick from his Jr days with the Apppleknockers to the present with the Crusaders. I have some great stories about a couple of judging trips we made to NY when he judged with me for DCA.

IMG_0044.jpg

It was my pleasure playing a tribute to one one NICEST guys I ever met. He will not be soon forgotten.

Nick Filia

Cheryl,

My thoughts are with you and your family every day. Rick was a great guy. He would do anything for anybody.

I called him once or ten times in dire need of tone foam on a Friday before a MB show. I know for most of you tone foam could never possibly be an emergency. If you have ever worked with me, I am sure you all know what a freak I am before shows etc. Rick actually met me in Rochester on a Friday night where he was having dinner with his family so I could have my foam. Just one of the nice things he did for me over the years. When I first started at ESM back in 1991 (my first caption head/writing gig) he would come check out the program all the time for me and answer questions weekly.

He would call me all the time, when I answered there was always a chuckle at the other end...."Are you still working for that "Red Cross"?. LOL I actually worked for Blue Cross at the time. He will be missed by so many......

I think I actually have my own Toan Foam T-shirt!

God bless Cheryl, Josh, and Sara. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Teddy

Once again, THANKS to EVERYONE! My mom is right about everything. 53 was NOT the time to pass on. I still have sooooo many future plans that I was hoping to include my father in. Today was the beginning of a long path to recovery because I realized he wasn't there. My brain is just in such a mix of emotions right now and I still feel like this is just one BIG dream. I swear I could hear my dad talking today, but it was just me and my grandmother in the house until I went downstairs and my brother was there.

Like my mom said, please please PLEASE take care of yourselves! When you go to the doctors for an exam or a check up, go through with it. For yours & your families sake, stay healthy!

My mom is leaving the hospital tomorrow and when she can walk around the house, she'll probably get on and read all the replies(I told her about them).

Thanks to everyone!

<3 Sara

• 2 weeks later...

Cheryl, Sarah, Josh,

Having lost my Dad in the past few years I can relate to the pain you are feeling. I wanted to assure you that good friends and good memories will make it better. Don't think about what you are missing in Rick's absence but take solice in the times you shared. Your Father and Husband was a Great Man. His heart overflowed with love. How lucky you are to claim him as yours . Josh, I too, have heard my fathers voice. Weird, but all thing are possible. With a love as big as your dad was capable of, do you doubt he could find a way to touch you from the other side? I don't, so listen . he's got you're back. I have been the "away" Martin and the frequency of my interactions have been few. But, every time I saw Rick it was like we had never been apart. Ouch, he's gone but, I'm #### proud to say Rick Rogers was my friend! I know the three of you are proud as well! From The Martin Family and the Carolina Crown Family here in The Carolina's Thank you for sharing him with us all!