Getting Crowd Reponse

or even shows like cadets 06, where the next song actually begins before the former ends,

And even George Hopkins--yes, that GEORGE HOPKINS, the worst person who ever lived, the Joseph Stalin of drum corps...said that having the pieces seemlessly transition between each other was not worth sacrificing the crowd response time, and was ultimately a mistake.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And even George Hopkins--yes, that GEORGE HOPKINS, the worst person who ever lived, the Joseph Stalin of drum corps...said that having the pieces seemlessly transition between each other was not worth sacrificing the crowd response time, and was ultimately a mistake.

meh...noone would have clapped anyway.... :music:

No doubt Phantom did it right this year. I loved the show, but I also loved it in 81 and in 82 and in 08 and in...... I would like to see how many seconds there were of time for audience response in the quoted times. The funny part is, people ask why response isn't like it used to be. When an answer is given, it can only be seen as wrong. Maybe everything I see happening isn't ALL correct, but it isn't all wrong either. I have before and will again, rise when I feel the urge, yell when the song is OVER, ( never for the preprogrammed chants, SCV, you know who you are). I will do these things untill the synths( I will give them a listen), or mic'd ensembles, or woodwinds( I won't waste my time), make me decide not to.

actually the ultimate mistake of that show was the alice in wonderland crap.

No doubt Phantom did it right this year. I loved the show, but I also loved it in 81 and in 82 and in 08 and in...... I would like to see how many seconds there were of time for audience response in the quoted times. The funny part is, people ask why response isn't like it used to be. When an answer is given, it can only be seen as wrong. Maybe everything I see happening isn't ALL correct, but it isn't all wrong either. I have before and will again, rise when I feel the urge, yell when the song is OVER, ( never for the preprogrammed chants, SCV, you know who you are). I will do these things untill the synths( I will give them a listen), or mic'd ensembles, or woodwinds( I won't waste my time), make me decide not to.

I came right out and said that more corps are going with the seamless 'integration' of songs, where one piece flows into the next. I even gave a few examples. I just dont think its a black and white thing - that things were done one way, and now they're done another, and that's the reason for the change. A good percentage of corps still do song, break, song, break. Also, it should be noted, that the best audience moments dont require the corps to stop for the audience to clap. Scouts 95, or Phantom 08 - both corps had people on their feet a minute before the end, and they definitely didnt let up. I realize moments like that are rare, but its something else to consider