Star 86

I think Star sounded awesome. I dont care what key they were in.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I never thought about Brass Theater as a means of comparing the sounds of the two "types" of horns.

When I listened to the ensemble, there was no real difference in volume. The Bb/F line sounded smoother and fuller, but I must say that the extra five horn players (aka the Canadian Brass) made a DEFINITE difference in this area. The G Bugle parts of the show certainly had a great deal of impact, but much of that could have been due to the visual show, which was much more intense than what was performed with "concert" horns.

But I do not recall a big difference in volume overall.

Interesting discussion.

BTW Brass Theater still stands as one (actually two) of my favorite concerts of all time. It was as if a special show was created just to impress ME. Thanks to all who took part.

I think Star sounded awesome. I dont care what key they were in.

It will be curious to hear your reaction to the 2010 alumni corps which is performing on Bb/F. Same music, different key, and about 40lbs extra (on average) behind each horn.

It will be curious to hear your reaction to the 2010 alumni corps which is performing on Bb/F. Same music, different key, and about 40lbs extra (on average) behind each horn.

Well...if you guys put your weight into it.... :tongue:

Well...if you guys put your weight into it.... :tongue:

Badum psst.He's here all night , folks. :smile:

A question, out of curiosity. When we put the Kingsmen Alumni Corps together, as most people here know we started formally in December 05 to get ready for our show in August 07. In essence, it took us about a year and a half to get to the level we were at. Granted, the majority of the KAC membership hadn't touched an instrument in 30 years, so much of the first year was getting chops back and getting to the point that we were at least representative of what the Kingsmen were in the early 70's.

Star, on the other hand, was much more recent, and probably is going to draw from membership that's still involved at some level either professionally or with one of the Star organizations. I doubt you'll have anyone that hasn't picked up a pair of sticks or a horn for 10 years, let alone 30. So, what is the schedule like for the alumni corps? Are you doing monthly rehearsals already, or doing this independently and putting it together at camps? In my case, I found out very early on it's completely different being able to play the show at home on a pad than it is when you're in a line with 15 other guys who have very different levels of chops and commitment.

Is there going to be access to the alumni web site so everyone can watch the progress, or is it going to be "come to prelims in 2010 and see Star Alumni for the first time"?

It was a blessing to be a part of the Kingsmen Alumni Corps, not just to be able to be on the field again after 30 years, but being with all the people that were involved. As a few of us preached from the beginning, this experience will not be remembered by the destination itself, for most everyone involved it will be about taking part in the journey to get there, and the events, and people that were a part of it with you. For those of us who have been lucky enough to be a part of drum corps again as an adult, we would love to watch your journey and growth so we can remember how it felt for us.

Good luck, and I'm sure the show will be phenomenal, but the "event" will get here faster than you think, and be over WAY too soon once you are with a group of people that will become like family again.

The 2010 Star Alumni group officially started rehearsing this past weekend with a two day camp in Bloomington. The formal planning began around August of last year. We are going to have to pull this off with five or six camps and a couple days at 'move in' before semis in Aug.10'. Our group will be a mixture of conditioned regular players as well as a few who have not blown a note in a decade or so. Most involved blew the rust off in 04' when we put our first Alumni unit together. We rely heavily on a strong fundamental technique program which is consistent with the program we all learned long ago. Our experiences with the 04' Alumni corps and Star United have taught us a great deal on how to leverage our strengths.

At this point it is up in the air how much information will be released about the unit. Traditionally we have kept such things low key and word of mouth. In this age of crazy music clearance issues and the like, we have to be careful even allowing people to hear the charts. Hopefully we will be able to come up with some way to share what is going on without giving to much away or angering music publishers so we can build some interest going into the performance. I can tell you we had a great first camp and were pleasantly surprised at the overall soundness of the lines. The book looks awesome and will present some of the finest moments in our short 9 year history as a drum corps. We are planning on making our public debut at the Indy 500 Festival parade in May of 10'.

I understand what you are saying about experience of just being and playing together. We had a ball just playing for ourselves in 04', and this larger more meaningful project has got everyone involved already excited and emotional. I've been spoiled in that I have gotten to hang out with some great friends while playing with Star United the past few years. But this expanded group performing at a high level will be a whole new ball of wax. One last blast under the lights. One last Star performance. Once in a lifetime.

At this point it is up in the air how much information will be released about the unit. Traditionally we have kept such things low key and word of mouth. In this age of crazy music clearance issues and the like, we have to be careful even allowing people to hear the charts.

I remember the frantic downloading that happened when someone in the 04 group posted some of rthe rehersal runs *waves hand* Some GOOD stuff came outta there. "PLEASE say that's on tape" after the opening fanfare from the 90 show was the best quote.

I understand what you are saying about experience of just being and playing together. We had a ball just playing for ourselves in 04', and this larger more meaningful project has got everyone involved already excited and emotional. I've been spoiled in that I have gotten to hang out with some great friends while playing with Star United the past few years. But this expanded group performing at a high level will be a whole new ball of wax. One last blast under the lights. One last Star performance. Once in a lifetime.

Even though we only did it in arc, I felt much the same when the BD/SCV alum corps hit the field. Even though it was BITTERLY cold the evening of Precision West, when we hit the field, I no longer felt the cold, because I was about to the a Blue Devil again. A fabulous feeling.