Preview of World Class 20? Entertainment

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the audio is terrible. dome and blasting. and the people who just taped 2 bass drummers when there was obviously soo much more to look at.

but it is pretty cool, did that in very little time with people youve never seen before in yuor life.

that is the worst, most ignorant camera work i've ever seen. i dont care if you dont know anything about the marching arts, its common sense.

drill was boooooring

can't exactly do diamond cutters with 2 rehearsals

If and when guitars become part of DCI, I hope they are used that way. (Only clearly audible when necessary).

And now a short essay on the roles of brass, keyboard percussion and guitars:

Let's take a look at some popular genres of music covered by drum corps and the original scoring.

Classical: Dominant - strings, brass, concert percussion, woodwinds. Lesser used - guitars, pianos, keyboard percussion.

As we can see, classical music covers many types of instruments, allowing for somewhat easy arrangement on the field.

Latin: Dominant - Latin percussion, drum set, brass, guitars, pianos, woodwinds. Lesser used - keyboard percussion.

Another genre with a wide range of instruments. Some stuff will get lost going from original to field arrangements.

Jazz: Dominant - Drum set, brass, woodwinds, guitars. Lesser used - keyboard percussion.

With jazz's reliance on horns, it translates to the field rather well.

As we can see from these three popular genres of music used in drum corps, a wide range of instruments are needed. Keyboard percussion holds a very weak grip in the music world, as the instruments are relatively new on the scene.

Also, this music in mostly played indoors. When outside, amplification is used to accurately balance all the instruments. A popular argument against amps is to say, "What's a corps to do once the weather changes?" Well, brass and timpani can retune, drums continue to make a loud thudding, but what about keyboard percussion? Well, oddly enough, the vibraphone and marimba are affected in completely opposite ways by changes in humidity. And nothing can be done about it. If the weather is real bad (rain), and the show is still on, a corps can simply not bring out the amps. The balance and sound quality will suffer. So why only call out amplification? It's a mystery.

One last thought: Once a piano or synth or guitar is added to an ensemble, does your attention go right to that instrument? Unless the instrument is being featured, it shouldn't. It is up to the ensemble to blend every sound to produce an overall great sound.

OK first off.. kudos to the kids, etc. For the amount of time they had it was impressive.

But on the show itself, regardless of who is paying the bills, and the reference to the future of drum corps.

Good lord I hope not...

All I could think of after watching that video was two things ;

1) what a gawdawful musical mess this is and

2) what a terrible, TERRIBLE waste of performing talent.

Good grief, that was simply a horrific ( and boring to boot ) production put together.

That wasn't Music. It was just wretched noise that hurts one's musical sensibilities as well as one's ears.

Edited by BRASSO

I actually enjoyed that. Camera work was awful, but hey, it's a football broadcasting team, not DCI.

And I'm totally going to apply to that when I'm eligible. Going to San Antonio for a week to march? Yes please.

Step right up ladies and gentelmen, right this way . . .

The future of DCI World Class entertainment is at hand!

Be amazed by the amazing and inovative samples set to fast paced, heart stopping drill!!

Wowed by the blow your ears off volume of their amplifiers!!!!

Yes folks, it is all here, all right now!!!!!!!!

Click below, then on to the Performance and wait until just after the count off to see the FUTURE . . . Future . . . future (echo effects enabled)

http://www.banddirector.com/article/army-a...n-marching-band

The kids played very well! However all that electronic @%^& really detracted from the music they were making on the field. Also felt the amps for the pitt where turned up way to loud...cymbals are loud but they aren't that loud w/o being amped...

that is the worst, most ignorant camera work i've ever seen. i dont care if you dont know anything about the marching arts, its common sense.

drill was boooooring

they have 3 days to learn it. feel free to volunteer to come up with something better

I actually enjoyed that. Camera work was awful, but hey, it's a football broadcasting team, not DCI.

And I'm totally going to apply to that when I'm eligible. Going to San Antonio for a week to march? Yes please.

from what I hear, you'll love it