Inaugural Drum Corps Trivia

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And speaking of the herald trumpets ... those guys were tick city. They would have done better if they'd had the dudes from Phantom there this morning.

with the cold temps, the fifteen minutes extra they had to wait between warming up and performing, and the pressure of what they were doing, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yup. I can't imagine playing in temps that cold. The quartet (filled with famous names) that played the "Simple Gifts" arrangement was absolutely outstanding!

And speaking of the herald trumpets ... those guys were tick city. They would have done better if they'd had the dudes from Phantom there this morning.

The U.S. Army Herald Trumpets are an incredible ensemble, featuring some of the best trumpet players in the country today. With all due respect to Phantom, they aren't even in the same league with the heralds. The conditions today are horrible, and the heralds still sounded great.

Dude - it was colder than a Welsh Well Digger's shovel out there. More below.

Yup. I can't imagine playing in temps that cold. The quartet (filled with famous names) that played the "Simple Gifts" arrangement was absolutely outstanding!

The composition called "Air And Simple Gifts" was arranged by John Williams had never been heard before today, BTW. It featured Venezuelan-American pianist Gabriela Montero, Chinese-American cellist Yo-Yo Ma, Israeli-American Itzhak Perlman on violin and Black-American Anthony McGill on clarinet interjects with a familiar tune.

Lots of corps have played "Simple Gifts," written in the mid-1800s by a Shaker composer and popularized by Aaron Copland in his 1944 ballet "Appalachian Spring."

The U.S. Army Herald Trumpets are an incredible ensemble, featuring some of the best trumpet players in the country today. With all due respect to Phantom, they aren't even in the same league with the heralds. The conditions today are horrible, and the heralds still sounded great.

There ya go! 'nuff said.

The fanfare I heard was played by both the 1973 and 1977 Racine Kilties.

I remember the '73 Kilties version - Ahead of their time with that one. We were doing Sorcerer’s Apprentice that year - Wouldn't have wanted to play that in today's cold! For sure.

Puppet

So they are Americans then? Personally I think if you are an American you are an American. I have never considered myself a Scottish American...ALWAYS an AMERICAN!!!

The composition called "Air And Simple Gifts" was arranged by John Williams had never been heard before today, BTW. It featured Venezuelan-American pianist Gabriela Montero, Chinese-American cellist Yo-Yo Ma, Israeli-American Itzhak Perlman on violin and Black-American Anthony McGill on clarinet interjects with a familiar tune.

Lots of corps have played "Simple Gifts," written in the mid-1800s by a Shaker composer and popularized by Aaron Copland in his 1944 ballet "Appalachian Spring."