Announcing: Color Guard International

SBrancheau

B) Ok hearing this idea of CGI seems kind of archaic to me. But if there is an interest in it I will support it. And I am sure I will check it out.

I have been a color guard designer for 12 years now and I like the way the activity has evolved on the field and on the court. I do not always agree with the way the judging system changes rewards certain aspects as opposed to others, but it is an evolving as the activity does. I do believe though, that color guard in general is ready for another evolution jump. Hearing about CGI though, I think this will be a division of interest, not a path the activity will follow.

Limitation such as I read here can actually be used as a creative device. If looked at from a design stand point it can be used to push another envelope. I just dont know how long and how wide of an appeal it will have. Such limitations are something as a designer I may choose myself or as a team to work with. But when facing parameters I will never be able to break out of, how much will I want to stay within that realm CGI.

I look forward to seeing how this takes off.

Good Luck,

Jim

Curious Jim, are with Powhatan HS in Northern VA?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)  Ok hearing this idea of CGI seems kind of archaic to me.  But if there is an interest in it I will support it.  And I am sure I will check it out.

I have been a color guard designer for 12 years now and I like the way the activity  has evolved on the field and on the court.  I do not always agree with the way the judging system changes rewards certain aspects as opposed to others, but it is an evolving as the activity does.  I do believe though, that color guard in general is ready for another evolution jump.  Hearing about CGI though, I think this will be a division of interest, not a path the activity will follow. 

Limitation such as I read here can actually be used as a creative device.  If looked at from a design stand point it can be used to push another envelope.  I just dont know how long and how wide of an appeal it will have.  Such limitations are something as a designer I may choose myself or as a team to work with.  But when facing parameters I will never be able to break out of, how much will I want to stay within that realm CGI.

Good Luck,

Jim

Hey Malibu,

Yes I teach at Powhatan, which is really in Central VA, about 30 minute west of Richmond

Hi Jim and Everyone:

CGI is (for now) an imaginary guard circuit. I did it completely tongue-in-cheek. Perhaps I need to rethink that...

Hmmm.....

-_-

Nice first post Jim, welcome to DCP..

I have to agree. While I LOVE equiptment work, I also LOVE what is being done in guards today.

As far as WGI goes, I applaud those units who do more equipment work and incorporate the style. Innovation from VA is a good example.. they did a 'progression of guard' type show and started off in traditional marching band uniforms, in a block, drop spinning rifles.. they 'evolved' through the show to more dance/contemporary and the crowd ate it up. They ate it all up.. the traditional and the new. I don't think one has to be sacraficed for the other.

In DCI, I enjoy the rifle work of the 80s more than today, BUT... I enjoy the flag work of today MUCH more than the 70s/80s.

B)  Ok hearing this idea of CGI seems kind of archaic to me.  But if there is an interest in it I will support it.  And I am sure I will check it out.

I have been a color guard designer for 12 years now and I like the way the activity  has evolved on the field and on the court.  I do not always agree with the way the judging system changes rewards certain aspects as opposed to others, but it is an evolving as the activity does.  I do believe though, that color guard in general is ready for another evolution jump.  Hearing about CGI though, I think this will be a division of interest, not a path the activity will follow. 

Limitation such as I read here can actually be used as a creative device.  If looked at from a design stand point it can be used to push another envelope.  I just dont know how long and how wide of an appeal it will have.  Such limitations are something as a designer I may choose myself or as a team to work with.  But when facing parameters I will never be able to break out of, how much will I want to stay within that realm CGI.

Good Luck,

Jim

Hey Malibu,

Yes I teach at Powhatan, which is really in Central VA, about 30 minute west of Richmond

Yes, I have seen your group many times over the past years in the indoor guard circuit.......heck, I even judged you guys! Very well trained guard!

Nice first post Jim, welcome to DCP..

I have to agree. While I LOVE equiptment work, I also LOVE what is being done in guards today.

As far as WGI goes, I applaud those units who do more equipment work and incorporate the style. Innovation from VA is a good example.. they did a 'progression of guard' type show and started off in traditional marching band uniforms, in a block, drop spinning rifles.. they 'evolved' through the show to more dance/contemporary and the crowd ate it up. They ate it all up.. the traditional and the new. I don't think one has to be sacraficed for the other.

In DCI, I enjoy the rifle work of the 80s more than today, BUT... I enjoy the flag work of today MUCH more than the 70s/80s.

Yes, Innovation was awesome! This was the guard I was referring to in another thread, that incorporated double fast spins on rifle.....not seen too much by groups now days. It's no wonder as one of the instructors marched Blue Devils in the late 70s through early 80s.

As you remember "Psiguy" the crowd went nuts! :)

It is funny that you're taping your rifle though, that also went out in the 80's, but last year I did notice Spirit and maybe Phantom with tape on their rifles. People in drum corps not 2-3 years ago even knew rifles used used to be taped and have streamers!

It's good that you're taping your rifle.

this went out in the 80's???? there hasn't been a single year that i haven't taped mine. 1981-present. without strapping tape and white tape over it they don't have a chance of surviving the season IMO. that's NOT because of drops in the performances, that's because of everyday wear and tear on parkinglot surfaces, being tossed around from place to place, and learning new work, etc.

and i don't think it's just me who is still taping them, considering how outdated it is as you put it. there's not a single instructor i know who doesn't. (besides the fact that for WG it's a circuit requirement). <_<

B)   Ok hearing this idea of CGI seems kind of archaic to me.  But if there is an interest in it I will support it.  And I am sure I will check it out.

Good Luck,

Jim

Hey Malibu,

Yes, I have seen your group many times over the past years in the indoor guard circuit.......heck, I even judged you guys! Very well trained guard!

Thanks Malibu,

Cant take that credit at all. I just started working with them this year. Morganne Landinni is the core of that program. And Nikki, #### sorry Nikki cant think of your last name. Nikki is a product of that program and has marched in Division 1 corps and World Guards. Love working with them, kids and staff. Definitely an evolving program.

It is funny that you're taping your rifle though, that also went out in the 80's, but last year I did notice Spirit and maybe Phantom with tape on their rifles. People in drum corps not 2-3 years ago even knew rifles used used to be taped and have streamers!

What??? Nancy when you were throwing quads with a Crossmen's rifle last year, didn't you notice it was taped?

I know my guards have been taping rifles since I started teaching .......way back when and they still tape them. Or are you talking about "decorative" taping like guards did when we marched? Now that, like you say, went out in the 80s. Today, guards use strapping tape plus white vinyle tape for extra support. It's kinda of funny when you take all the tape off and see how many cracks are in the rifle......if it weren't for the tape, it would have fallen apart. b**bs

It is funny that you're taping your rifle though, that also went out in the 80's, but last year I did notice Spirit and maybe Phantom with tape on their rifles.  People in drum corps not 2-3 years ago even knew rifles used used to be taped and have streamers!

this went out in the 80's???? there hasn't been a single year that i haven't taped mine. 1981-present. without strapping tape and white tape over it they don't have a chance of surviving the season IMO. that's NOT because of drops in the performances, that's because of everyday wear and tear on parkinglot surfaces, being tossed around from place to place, and learning new work, etc.

and i don't think it's just me who is still taping them, considering how outdated it is as you put it. there's not a single instructor i know who doesn't. (besides the fact that for WG it's a circuit requirement). <_<

I'm talking about the beautifying of the rifle. And no we didn't need more than 2 rifles a year normally. 1 practice and 1 competition, both in indoor guard and outdoor, and we never once needed ot reinforce with white tape or whatever you are now talking about. It's certainly not what I'm talking about! Nor did we in 94.

I'd love to know how you can get a grip with tape up and down the rifle if indeed that's what you're talking about.

Yes ours too got thrown around especially doing an exchange from the 40 to the 40 rehearsing in parking lots.

I'm very surprised, I'll have to count how long rifles are even kept in peoples hands to warrant what you're talking about!

Spitting into the leather gloves is how I got the traction I needed for the type of work we did, and catches we made.

So we're talking about 2 different things....sorry you and I are not talking about the same animal! B)