Announcing: Color Guard International

SBrancheau

I've said it before but I'll say it again in case someone missed it.

I found doing flag much more difficult than rifle. I learned the whole 79 show for the Olympics. We were all flags (except when marching the Olympic flags ins) for the opening ceremonies.

Who believes that if someone wants to become a flag can, and others that want to become a rifle can through practice? I've seen people that tried and tried to make a rifle line that were excellent flags, they just never got comfortable with that piece of equipment. Along those same lines, I believe if I had continued through 80 and say the next 5 years, I could have never been a good flag.

[

Ya know, for me, I find rifle more difficult than flag. Even my beginners feel that way.....but then again, it could be that "fear factor" of a heavier piece of equipment being thrown in the air and expected to catch it?

Nancy, you look like a natural when it comes to guard equipment. I bet you were as good if not better than most people in your flag line.....you just don't give yourself enough credit! :)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My high school colorguard was EXTREMELY competitive. We always marched 12 rifles, 12 sabres, and 40 flags. EVERYONE starts on flag, and you moved on to rifle or sabre from there. The rifle and sabre lines are only filled as one graduates or is challenged.

deftguy I had 40 in my guard last year. We (my good friend and other instructor) taught them all how to do flag and rifle. My quest has always been not to segregate "rifles" from "flags" but more as, all being in the color guard. Sometimes I'll have 20 sabres and 20 rifles on the field all at once......sabres being veteran members only. Sure some excel quicker than others on rifle, so we make sure those are featured in key spots with others who are superb.

Ya know, for me, I find rifle more difficult than flag. Even my beginners feel that way.....but then again, it could be that "fear factor" of a heavier piece of equipment being thrown in the air and expected to catch it?

Nancy, you look like a natural when it comes to guard equipment. I bet you were as good if not better than most people in your flag line.....you just don't give yourself enough credit!  :)

Malibu:

I'm with you. I spun rifles a few times, just noodling around and found it to be very difficult. I had a HEALTHY respect for the weapon and even a little fear. But, I considered it a challenge to master my fear. Just never had the chance to try. Neither my high school or college had a rifle line, nor any of the high schools where I taught.

Yes, Nancy, I bet you DO look very natural when it comes to guard equpiment. You only think you struggle.

By the way, LOVE your avatar, Nancy. I actually gasped when I saw it.

All the best to you both!

But isn't that saying that the rifle is more difficult? Or is it saying that it's a smaller line and the competition is tougher, or what? If it were the other way around, I would have been hard pressed I believe to make our flag line!

I believe that rifle is harder than flag, my instructors believe that, and after some 13 yrs teaching I believe that. For me personally the rifle came very easy. I was only spinning one year before I challenged a rifle that had been spinning for about 3 yrs. Nancy, we never had more than two or three spots a year that was available to move up in without challenging someone. Some guys(I went to an all boys private school)waited for the graduating spots which meant they only marched rifle a couple of years. I was much more driven than that.

deftguy I had 40 in my guard last year. We (my good friend and other instructor) taught them all how to do flag and rifle. My quest has always been not to segregate "rifles" from "flags" but more as, all being in the color guard. Sometimes I'll have 20 sabres and 20 rifles on the field all at once.

Malibu, because EVERYONE learned flag, we had all kinds of combinations we used on the field. Some parts of our shows had 24 rifles and 40 flags, some portions 64 flags, some portions, others 24 sabres 40 flags etc etc. Most of the guys mastered all of the equipment well, and some just wanted to be a flag. Keep in mind this was the middle and late 70's where the rifle line, and flag lines had distinctions more defined between them. In the Cavies you HAD to learn both rifle and flag because at any point in a show the flags definately had to pick up rifles and work with them.

My instructors in high school liked to throw everything including the kitchen sink at the judges visually. Their goal was to give the judges so much to look at, that it would be difficult to find ticks. Imaging 64 double silks going at one time, clean, precise and visually arresting.

LancerFi,

I love the avatar! Isn't that the picture from the DCI yearbook? You go COVER GIRL! :P

That's the picture....the whole page!!! I was ow ow owoooooing when I opened the book in 77 when I got to us, it was me in 76, the whole page.

Someone then sent me a percussion book. They had colorized that picture, actually it was more of a drawing of that same picture in color, and it was on the cover! Amazing, truly!

I've had a lot off good luck with stuff like that, with others, no so lucky!!! LOL :(

3 words to describe Nancy's avatar:

Ah whoo ha!

'Tis most excellent!

~G~

Nice avatar YOU'VE got there...looks vaguely familiar...but can't put my finger on where...

Yeah, right.

Edited by SBrancheau

Didn't he say they had just gotten some "used" ones from _ _ _ _ _ _ ?

OR were those flag poles? This was in 01 I think that he said they had just gotten some equipment....so maybe they hadn't gotten a chance to tape them!

Yeah....now that you mention it, I do recall him saying they gave them used rifles from _ _ _ _ _ _. Next time I see him, I'll ask. :whip:

Speaking of Pictures of Nancy.......

Nancy, is that your picture in the 1980 World open program ????  Its a big one, you are leaning..and I think it IS you ...I'm gonna go look now. 

~G~

I'm not sure, you said someone is leaning? It probably isn't me. In this picture you really cannot tell it's me because it's so small, but the 8 1/2 X 11 you can tell! This one looks like I either have 2 noses or no chin!!

Thanks to everyone who likes this avatar. But beware, now that I know how to get one up there, a monster has been created! I had a great photographer in 80....so, we'll see what happens.. LOL

Anyway, yes Malibu, I wish you would ask Chris about that, if he remembers...he was so burnt from being on tour and practicing, and watching the old broad toss his rifle, he must have been thinking, she gonna break it!! :P

Wow, this has became a very odd thread as deftguy mentioned! :)

Edited by LancerFi