Announcing: Color Guard International

SBrancheau

Anyway, I guess then you do go through a lot of equipment. That's only natural when you're learning. I've heare a few stories from Malibu. Like when she's ready to pull her hair out of her head?!? ^0^

LOL! I remember those days. I'm surprised--but happy--I'm not bald. :P

Ah, the joys of teaching a beginning rifle line. Trouble is, every single rifle line I ever taught was mostly beginners. And, to make things worse, our practice field was a parking lot. As you might imagine, we broke a few rifles.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but there are always those occassion mishaps that make them head for the scrap heap.  you know the ones i mean  :P Scene:  right after practice; Member: "Mom Mom you've GOTTA watch this!!" Mother:  "Are you sure this is a good idea?!?"  :whip:  Member: "OH YEAH!! I didn't miss a single one at practice." :D  Instructor: "UM UM WAIIIIIIIIT!!!" but doesn't get the "T" out in time and watches the rifle go up, Up UPPPPPP, higher than the member has ever tossed before and comes down at a rate of speed that sends the member, Mom, the Instructor and all other parties present in the parking lot running for their lives.  :whip:  usually you look and see what was once a rifle and now a lovely pile of toothpicks remaining in its place.  B)

told ya i work mostly with beginners  b**bs  they keep it REALLY interesting some days.  :P

Geez, Liz, you're describing my experiences with rifles (which ain't much...our high school didn't have 'em :( ...though we begged and begged)...

I had a real healthy respect for those that spun rifles. And while I liked flags a WHOLE lot, if they'd have started a rifle line, I'd have been the first to sign up to try out!

but there are always those occassion mishaps that make them head for the scrap heap.  you know the ones i mean  :P Scene:  right after practice; Member: "Mom Mom you've GOTTA watch this!!" Mother:  "Are you sure this is a good idea?!?"  :whip:  Member: "OH YEAH!! I didn't miss a single one at practice." :D  Instructor: "UM UM WAIIIIIIIIT!!!" but doesn't get the "T" out in time and watches the rifle go up, Up UPPPPPP, higher than the member has ever tossed before and comes down at a rate of speed that sends the member, Mom, the Instructor and all other parties present in the parking lot running for their lives.   :whip:  usually you look and see what was once a rifle and now a lovely pile of toothpicks remaining in its place.   B)

told ya i work mostly with beginners  b**bs   they keep it REALLY interesting some days.   :P

Geez, Liz, you're describing my experiences with rifles (which ain't much...our high school didn't have 'em :( ...though we begged and begged)...

I had a real healthy respect for those that spun rifles. And while I liked flags a WHOLE lot, if they'd have started a rifle line, I'd have been the first to sign up to try out!

I've said it before but I'll say it again in case someone missed it.

I found doing flag much more difficult than rifle. I learned the whole 79 show for the Olympics. We were all flags (except when marching the Olympic flags ins) for the opening ceremonies.

Who believes that if someone wants to become a flag can, and others that want to become a rifle can through practice? I've seen people that tried and tried to make a rifle line that were excellent flags, they just never got comfortable with that piece of equipment. Along those same lines, I believe if I had continued through 80 and say the next 5 years, I could have never been a good flag.

But and that's a big but (LOL), we now see some guards that have all people using all equipment. Not every guard, and not all to the utmost professionalism, but the ones that have sabers and rifles are usually that throughout the whole show, and then everyone will pick up flags at some point....any thoughts on this? I know that I can do rifle, saber, dowel or swing flag, but the full sized flag to me was the most difficult...such different sets of muscles, and there were 2 silks.

I didn't expect this to be so long or I would have began a new thread....and I could ask more questions, but I will begin another for it!

Help, I want to know if it was just my impediment? :(

This is interesting direction this thread has taken. When I was marching, I remember the rifles being much more durable than they are today. Every guard that I have been in taped for both decoration(designs and yes STREAMERS and loved them) and to strengthen them. In both high school and corps I had 1( or 2 if we spin two rifles simultaneously) performance rifle, and a half dozen practice rifles because of the insane things the guards I was in did(both high school and Cavs). My high school guard had its own practice room that had a padded floor so not alot of rifles were broken there. I lost a ton of rifles in central park when I practice there though.

My high school colorguard was EXTREMELY competitive. We always marched 12 rifles, 12 sabres, and 40 flags. EVERYONE starts on flag, and you moved on to rifle or sabre from there. The rifle and sabre lines are only filled as one graduates or is challenged. Challenges are ballsy because you are essentially telling the person you are challenging that I can kick your butt doing this. We had 10 guard instructors and they were the judges. I started in the guard at 10 y/o which is the lowest age you can participate in the band, and by the time I was 11 y/o I challenged one guy in the rifle line and beat him. That year I went through so many rifles just trying to get good enough to make the challenge that my parents and brothers got me a bunch of rifles for christmas and my birthday. Rilfles were heavier back then because I remember throwing quads was really tough to do. Almost impossible to do from a horizontal position. Last year I got my hands on a rifle and throwing quads seemed so much easier because the rifle was lighter and not a solid.

After watching some of my high school band shows, I now know why I made the cav's guard at such a young age. My high school instructors really kicked our butts. Basics, basics, basics!!!

found doing flag much more difficult than rifle. I learned the whole 79 show for the Olympics. We were all flags (except when marching the Olympic flags ins) for the opening ceremonies.
and there were 2 silks.

Nancy,

I found the sabre the hardest of everything. The ones we used back in that day, not the plastic jobbers they use today. And double silks was right under that in the difficulty factor. I personally was glad when the Cav's kick the double silks to the backyard in 82. After struggling through 79, 80, and 81 with those things, this guy had enough :whip:

Who believes that if someone wants to become a flag can, and others that want to become a rifle can through practice?

I was taught this theory by example in my high school colorguard. All new guard members start on flag, period. You practice sabre and rifle on you own until you are good enough to challenge or audition for a spot.

Thanks deftguy for both of your answers/posts. We practiced on cement from the time I was 11, maybe 3 times all summer on grass or turf except while on tour and on the competition field.

I'm not sure if it was because we didn't do as many death defying tricks, which you guys did do, but we never reinforced, nor did I ever go through more than 2 rifles in a season, all 11 seasons. I always had mine left over and believe that my contest rifle was the same for 3 out of the 5 years in

2-7. I was the one people came to or called if they had broken a rifle. I'm not saying I didn't drop my rifle at rehearsal or on the field, it took a beating, but I never had one break. Now I feel very lucky. It was almost like my 3rd arm as I actually felt like it was an extension of myself. If I had to break in especially a new contest rifle, I would have been flipping I have to tell you.

There were varying weights in rifles, and people that were bigger than me may have a lighter one, and vice versa. When we did exchanges we kept the other persons rifle, sometimes it could be 2 pounds heavier, or in 76 when we layed down the rifles, I picked up a very light one.

You know, on tour in 2-7, I never even remember there being any extra rifles, we left with 2 and came home with 2. Some brought 3, but I don't ever remember that being a problem. Could this be an eastern thing? Not enough $$ for extras? You got 2 and that was it. In 80 I bought the streamer material, I was the captain, and just took it upon myself to get it and bring it. 2 new ones would be given out prior to every contest. Although for finals we did not put new ones on if I remember correctly. We had gone on the field with 10 rifles at prelims and went on at finals with 9, but the 10th rifle was right there in front of the podium so that we could see it. I didn't want to chance changing anything else after that, not even streamers...strange what people do ha?

By the way in 1994 it was very difficult to decide if I wanted to be a saber or rifle. I never even tried on an aussie hat, and was thinking, I always loved the saber, such finesse, and I did want to try that uniform. But I just could not give up my rifle. I did find quads much easier that year...had to have been the extra poundage!

Many 2-7 rifles have told me that picking up the flag and doing it for 1 song or even 1/2 the show was very, very difficult for them. I do believe it's those different muscles.

Is anyone blind yet, as I went on and on and wrote a 1/2 a chapter for my book.....sorry about that!

Edited by LancerFi

deftguy wrote:

"I was taught this theory by example in my high school colorguard. All new guard members start on flag, period. You practice sabre and rifle on you own until you are good enough to challenge or audition for a spot."

But isn't that saying that the rifle is more difficult? Or is it saying that it's a smaller line and the competition is tougher, or what? If it were the other way around, I would have been hard pressed I believe to make our flag line!

Of course anything you put your mind to.....there were times I never thought I'd get a move down, and get it down perfectly, but eventually, it would come, but I would keep doing it say while the drill was being taught, or do it in my yard prior to practice and just keep on doing what I thought I was weak in.

Kind of Larry Bird showing up for practice early, and staying later than every one else taking 3 point shots and free throws! He did do that! :whip:

I found the sabre the hardest of everything. The ones we used back in that day, not the plastic jobbers they use today.

They have the metal ones today called, "Spanish Blades." They are very expensive and hurt if you don't wear padded gloves. I believe San Jose and Blue Devils indoor guards use them.....I could be wrong though. :whip:

I found the sabre the hardest of everything. The ones we used back in that day, not the plastic jobbers they use today.

They have the metal ones today called, "Spanish Blades." They are very expensive and hurt if you don't wear padded gloves. I believe San Jose and Blue Devils indoor guards use them.....I could be wrong though. :whip:

and those too can break if dropped the wrong way. watched someone's blade snap this winter. a total freak thing. but a couple of inches the other way and that could have been a real mess. :(