Why the VERY clashing color schemes?

Jim Nevermann

Dancing & choreography aside, what I've never, ever understood is the almost maniacal obsession of contemporary guards/auxiliaries in using color schemes that are so completely unrelated to those of the drums & horns in field shows. In part, I've always worked in graphic design and illustration, so the "gotta, Gotta, GOTTA have different colors for our costumes" mindset absolutely mystifies me.

For years & years I've seen SO many guards/auxiliaries whose uniform/costume designers appear to not have the slightest concept of complementary, secondary, or even tertiary color relations whatsoever. I most certainly understand contrasting color schemes, but the rationale of the clashing "no relation to the rest of band/corps colors" mindset I don't understand for one second.

Please enlighten me.

not since helen keller was allowed to dress herself for the first time..........i've seen things.....horrible things........things no man,woman or child should see....oh the humanity! :smile:

Edited by dugg

Why limit yourself? I don't think the auxiliary is as effective if they're wearing the same color as the corps proper. Boston Crusaders are repeat offenders in this category; more than a few times the guard has been dressed in red just like the horns and drums, and I feel that they just get lost.

I took color theory and then re-watched some guard shows and it was bad (not that it wasn't before, but now I was much more aware).

I loved Oracle for the fact they would stick with one strong color for their costumes.

not since helen keller was allowed to dress herself for the first time..........i've seen things.....horrible things........things no man,woman or child should see....oh the humanity! :smile:

Amen and Amen!

The flag design should do the talking, not the "costume" (can't really call it a uniform).

Blech!

Once, a wise old guard designer told me that the uniforms reflect the concept of the show while the flags represent the color and the mood during each part of the music.

A few years ago, I designed uniforms for my guard that were shades of orange, yellow, and red. They just POPPED against the band's blue and white uniforms. I got compliments on it all season long. You want the guard to stand out, if the show calls for it. Its all about being a character, not being uniform as an ensemble anymore.

Just think about all the moments that would of been lost if the guard wore something that matched the corps/band... SCV's guard in 04 wouldn't have stood out, PR's guard in 05 in the purple and orange "showgirl" outfits, 00 Cadets in the individual outfits to celebrate their individuality. Now, think about what the show would look like if everything was matchy-matchy. I don't want to.

You know, if some costume/uniform made you curious enough to ask, then that designer did their job. I hope this answered your question!

i think there is a good way and a bad way to look different.

to stand out and be recognized as a group is one thing,

but to look like you just grabbed whatever colored material

you could to make guard uniforms and flags is not pretty.

I always aim to make the guard costume compliment the band uniform while still maintain a uniqueness and bring across the show concept in some way.

Mostly, my flag choices bring out the color and enhance the music. I don't like costumes to detract from what the students are spinning/doing.

People just need to be smart when designing guard costumes - hold up your swatches to the band uniform - if it works, Great/ if it doesn't, go back to the drawing board.

I love modern, fresh looks on the field/floor, but not when it doesn't make a darn bit of sense with everything else going on on the field.

BE SMART!

I once was on a portal design team, some were concerned about colour on the monitor. I asked "What about the small percentage whom are colour blind?". Thereafter more emphasis on impact, information and motion. If the flag mesmerizes, relates, highlights the sound, catches the eye, it's good.

Meh...I'm partial to flags with serrated or curved edges and the bright side of the colour wheel...i can't take the u out of colour...it's what I was taught :-)

I always aim to make the guard costume compliment the band uniform while still maintain a uniqueness and bring across the show concept in some way.

Mostly, my flag choices bring out the color and enhance the music. I don't like costumes to detract from what the students are spinning/doing.

People just need to be smart when designing guard costumes - hold up your swatches to the band uniform - if it works, Great/ if it doesn't, go back to the drawing board.

I love modern, fresh looks on the field/floor, but not when it doesn't make a darn bit of sense with everything else going on on the field.

BE SMART!

EXACTLY, well said! That is what I do.