Don Kretzer passes

Don Kretzer has passed away. Don did not answer phone calls from his daughter who lives out-of-state nor those of Tom Mahan, presently Director of the Steel City Ambassadors, thus the police was sent to check on him. They had to break into his home. Don was found in bed, apparently passed while sleeping.

He'll be waked at the Bock Funeral Home located at 1500 Mt. Royal Blvd. in Shaler, Pa. Details for viewing will passed along as information becomes available.

Don had spent better then 50 years in the Drum Corps activity beginning with the Sharpsburg Cadets (18 years) as a baritone bugler then on to the Allegheny Monarchs (2 years), Sharpsburg Ambassadors (5 years), Butler Ambassadors (1 year), Sound Wave (2 years) and Steel City Ambassadors, both the competing and alumni Corps (22 years). Don served as Treasurer and Commander of the Sharpsburg Cadets. He served as Director of the Steel City Ambassadors and has been a member of the Steel city Ambassadors Alumni Corps since their inception in 1998. He also serves on their Board of Trustees. Don was the founder of the Ambassadors Club (otherwise known as the White Hats) and served as its President for a period of 20 years. He is another of the holders of Lifetime member of the Steel City Ambassadors.

Don is a Charter member of the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame and served on our Organizing Committee.

He will be greatly missed by those who have had the privilege of knowing this fine gentle man. Truly one of the greats of our activity.

Edited by PennsylvaniaDCHOF

Mike, I'm saddened at the news of Don's passing. It was a pleasure to get to know him as the PADCHOF was being formed.

Our most sincere condolences to the Kretzer family and his extended drum corps family.

Jim

Don Kretzer has passed away. Don did not answer phone calls from his daughter who lives out-of-state nor those of Tom Mahan, presently Director of the Steel City Ambassadors, thus the police was sent to check on him. They had to break into his home. Don was found in bed, apparently passed while sleeping.

He'll be waked at the Bock Funeral Home located at 1500 Mt. Royal Blvd. in Shaler, Pa. Details for viewing will passed along as information becomes available.

Don had spent better then 50 years in the Drum Corps activity beginning with the Sharpsburg Cadets (18 years) as a baritone bugler on to the Allegheny Monarchs (2 years), Sharpsburg Ambassadors (5 years), Butler Ambassadors (1 year), Sound Wave (2 years) and Steel City Ambassadors, both the competing and alumni Corps (22 years). Don served as Treasurer and Commander of the Sharpsburg Cadets. He served as Director of the Steel City Ambassadors and has been a member of the Steel city Ambassadors Alumni Corps since their inception in 1998. He also serves on their Board of Trustees. Don was the founder of the Ambassadors Club (otherwise known as the White Hats) and served as its President for a period of 20 years. He is another of the holders of Lifetime member of the Steel City Ambassadors.

Don is a Charter member of the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of fame and served on our Organizing Committee.

He will be greatly missed by those who have had the privilege of knowing this fine gentle man. Truly one of the greats of our activity.

I am so sorry to hear this.My condolences to the family.Don was a real Gentleman,And Don WAS Steel City!!

Super nice guy....................always made sense when he spoke,.............he was a clear thinker for sure!

I will miss seeing him. He did so much for the people and the corps that he loved.He was a good friend and supporter. A sad day for Steel City.

Thanks for everything Don. It was great.

Steve Cooley

Don had spent better then 50 years in the Drum Corps activity beginning with the Sharpsburg Cadets (18 years) as a baritone bugler then on to the Allegheny Monarchs (2 years), Sharpsburg Ambassadors (5 years), Butler Ambassadors (1 year), Sound Wave (2 years) and Steel City Ambassadors, both the competing and alumni Corps (22 years). Don served as Treasurer and Commander of the Sharpsburg Cadets. He served as Director of the Steel City Ambassadors and has been a member of the Steel city Ambassadors Alumni Corps since their inception in 1998. He also serves on their Board of Trustees. Don was the founder of the Ambassadors Club (otherwise known as the White Hats) and served as its President for a period of 20 years. He is another of the holders of Lifetime member of the Steel City Ambassadors.

Don is a Charter member of the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame and served on our Organizing Committee.

Thank you, Mike, for posting this. Our paths have crossed many times. My condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

Truly a sad day not only for the Pittsburgh drum corps community, but the entire community.

Like Hairbear said, Don WAS Steel City.

I will always remember him at corps camp wearing that chef hat as he and the rest of the White Hats served meal after meal.

I can't remember a single Steel City event that Don did not attend. Always there, always full of cheer and never a bad word to say about anything or anybody.

Today we lost a piece of Steel City that we will never get back.

God bless Don and my thoughts and prayers go out to his entire family.

I will miss you Don.

Rest in peace

Don was a very kind person, and will be mist at Eckertsville.(Allentown-DCA's)

He and the whole crew of the Ambassadors were always welcome to come over and have a few cold beers, and talk drum corps.

The Mayor of Eckertsville

Larry Eckert