Do we need a new "Bridgemen" or "Velvet Knights" t

Do We need a new "FUN" corps in DCI?  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Do We need a new "FUN" corps in DCI?

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say yes. Why? The drum corps activity as we knew it is long gone. I blame DCI and the executive board for that. Now is the right time to reintroduce drum corps in your locals and have fun with it. The Bridgeman and Velvet Knights were the last of the true entertainers. There is no variety in the entertainment value of drum corps of today. Come on remember when the Bridgeman shuffle brought the house down? Fans love that kind of stuff.

Today all we have is cookie cutter drum corps. DCI will notice an effect this year because of the economy. Lets see who is left standing to pick up the pieces at the end of the season.

My goodness. Everyone knows there's only one person that should be waving their arms in front of this great new group of bananas and that, my friend, is and will always be you!

I just wonder if at some point I could manage to become a passable mellophone player? My days of hefting around a baritone are LONG over!

Baby, this gig is yours for life! Continue to enjoy it!!!

Karen

Karen,

This commitment for life has all different connotations in alumni corps. It's what we call the "don't bring me any green bananas cause I may not be around when they ripen" clause in the life contract...

although J J looks like he's got a couple of years left in him... (now as for me, that's an entirely different story)

if you ever want to go down to a rehearsal though, just email me - we'll go on the world's favorite airline, JetBlue and do the A train and the Path and the Bergen light rail - be nice to have some company...

Edited by rayfallon

My goodness. Everyone knows there's only one person that should be waving their arms in front of this great new group of bananas and that, my friend, is and will always be you!

I just wonder if at some point I could manage to become a passable mellophone player? My days of hefting around a baritone are LONG over!

Karen

Thanks, Karen, but this horn player wants to hit the field again, at least once more! God-willing!

I still play, of course, and teach, so I just have to get the chops into "drum corps shape"!

Hey! We would love for you to come down and join us on mellophone! That would be fantastic!!!

And I don't how ANYONE could ever heft one of those bari's (or euphs) around, not to mention those contras that they now call, uh, tubas!!! :thumbup:

Thanks for your good wishes! 2009 should prove to be an amazing year for the Bridgemen.

I'm thrilled to be a small part of it, once again!

Karen,

This commitment for life has all different connotations in alumni corps. It's what we call the "don't bring me any green bananas cause I may not be around when they ripen" clause in the life contract...

although J J looks like he's got a couple of years left in him... (now as for me, that's an entirely different story)

if you ever want to go down to a rehearsal though, just email me - we'll go on the world's favorite airline, JetBlue and do the A train and the Path and the Bergen light rail - be nice to have some company...

I have the clause to opt out of my contract! I might have a couple years left in me, if my knees hold out!!! :smile:

Oh wait... I only have to march on and off the field!

Come on, Karen!

Join Ray, and come pay us a visit!!! :thumbup:

it's true,, there is a lot of entertainment out there ,,, (loved the remark about Phantom,, that was good)... and some fun as well... some whimsy (was it glassmen i think this year with the balloons?),, and Bluecoats,, BD was just adsurd,,, (okay that was bad,,, shoot me)..

But the type of fun like okay,, 76 Bridgemen,, nothing over the top,, except for the final note on finals.... man,, i laughed til i cried,, lol.... now that was fun,,,

drum majors need to loosen up too... anyone remember,, Joel from Oakland Crusaders???... few others over the years,, but,, now,, they just stiffen up,,, (okay,, Phantom did a good job with their DM's),,, but for the most part,,, they're boring,,

course, that could be a whole new thread..

someone should start it,,,

memorable DM's throughout Drum Corps History,, lol..

1 vote to Jimmy Jordan

Karen

You"ll never know until you try.

I'm sure we have a mellophne on th truck somewhere

Dude .... I'm right here!!! :thumbup::smile:

Ahhh...there you are!!! :smile:

1 vote to Jimmy Jordan

Thanks, bro!