Do we need a new "Bridgemen" or "Velvet Knights" t

Do We need a new "FUN" corps in DCI?  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Do We need a new "FUN" corps in DCI?

• YES
    • NO

You're one of the "youngest" people I know, Ray, but I hear you! As for Jamie, let's just say he was a few years older than I am and that I remember him when he was thin and had a full head of hair!

Cheers!

Karen

The offer still stands - let me know if you want to jet down to a rehearsal - the A Train drives me crazy riding by myself. I keep asking my son Raymond to come along and he's too busy teaching drum corps. It's like "The Cat's in the Cradle' that old Harry Chapin tune...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as the topic says "DO we need another Bridgemen or Velvet Knights"

Well i only can speak for myself a member of the Bridgemen, and if you want an answer to that question, why not drop by and see for your self.......in only 8 short days come on down to Bayonne and you be the judge....

see you there

Whoa. How did I miss so much of this thread?

Jimmy J. and Ray, honestly I am blown away by the amazingly kind words in this thread. Seriously, I am just floored. You are two of the people I admire so much in this activity, so to have you say such kind and positive things simply knocks me out. I am speechless...which as you both know is a pretty rare condition for me.

Mr. Jordan, you were the first DM I ever saw with the Bridgemen, and to me you still set the very high standard. It just seems so "right" to have you leading the yellow team onto the field, but I understand if you need a break - especially if it's a break to play in this very cool new hornline. I loved conducting this group, and would be honored to do it again. Perhpas you and I need to work out a drum major murderous scene, ala our young friends in Phantom this past year? Of course, we would have to do ours Jersey style. (Tony Soprano meets Spartacus? Hey, did I ever tell you I went to high school with James Gandolfini?) Details to be worked out, at some point during next season! I would love, love, love to work with you!

Ray, where do I start? 1984 was such a tough, tough year. But it was such a wonderfully collaborative group that season. We took turns propping each other up. I would have never made it through that season without the wonderful inline leadership of people like Jerome, John R., George, Frankie, Scott Taylor, Glenda, and so, so many others. Whether it was the quiet intensity of Fennette or the throw down craziness of some of our more "veteran" folks, we really pulled each other through such a tough scene. True story: I had no idea we finished 14th until I stood next to a kid from Troops at the first Star camp in 85 and the subject came up. I was so focused on making Finals, and when I failed to get us there, I simply assumed we had fallen into 13th place. I don't think anyone had the heart/guts to tell me otherwise, until this poor ######## brought it up in Bloomington. I remember grabbing Joey Keays to ask him if it was true, and he teared up immediately. Yikes! We were quite damaged, still, at that point in time!

But here we are! I am in absolute awe of what you, the Bridgemen v2.0 have been able to put together. You have filled a real void in the activity, and the fans are so, so appreciative! It really is a bit of a time machine, and I'm jealous as hell that I haven't been able to be a part of all of this fun. That's got to change! I'm going to work to get into the best shape possible and clear my calendar to the extent that I can so that I can jump onboard this magical ride and help in any way I can in 2010. If I'm the worst mellophone, so be it. (Come on, Ray. You're up to the challenge!) If I'm filling in parts in the pit, that's cool too. If I'm up on the podium while Mr. Jordan gets to re-live his hornline days, that would be amazing. If you need me to drive a bus, I can probably figure that out, too.

Please know how much love and respect is out here, just trying our best to beam our affection in your direction. Right now, my little boys need me, but even they are starting to ask when they "...can see Mommy do this drum corps thing for real, and not just on DVD's." I'm going to do my best to be ready to help next year. You guys have a wonderful Summer and just figure out where I can help next year.

With much love and admiration,

Karen

Karen...thank you for your kind words. I too, am touched by your remarks.

When it comes to being Drum Major for the Bridgemen, I have always taken the responsibility very seriously, in spite of some of our crazy antics! I have always given "everything I've got", with all of my heart. That is how I learned to do things, at a very young age, and it is the only way that I know. No matter what the endeavor. It is all about passion, and energy. Of course, I think everyone in drum corps knows all about this combination, as evidenced by every drum corps that I've ever seen. Drum corps people are a very special breed, and our passion, and energy are unmatched by any other group, en masse. Of course, we're talking ALL human emotions, but ya gotta take the good with the bad, right? Our fights, discussions, arguments, creative differences, etc, are all incredibly intense, but then again, we also party with the same intensity, and we pull together as a family, at any given moment. We are ALWAYS there for one another, 24/7, regardless of race, creed, color, or corps, and we are part of a very beautiful experience.

I know that you also accepted your responsibility as Drum Major of the Bridgemen, and (some other top-notch corps!), with the same degree of intensity, and dedication. That is why, like Ray, I would love for you to come and join us on this ride, once again. It would be great to have you back on board, and it would be so much fun to work with you!

So, at the very least, I hope to see you at some point this spring, or summer, if you can swing it, OK?

Back on topic (Sorry for the hijack, folks!)

I believe that it couldn't hurt for DCI to have another Bridgemen, or VK...it could only help! (And VK is back, so... GO VK!!!) If a corps is able to incorporate some of the humor, and "radical" approaches that both brought to the table, in conjunction with a solid, and fundamental music/visual program...why not?

Variety is the spice of life!

...Jimmy

I say no ... I look at Bluecoats or Crown, or '08 Regiment, and think they have taken the theatricality we tried to introduce into the activity and have taken it to modern levels. Keeping the fun, but adding new levels of sophistication.

Agreed. Besides, the current VK will be back where they were very soon I think

I like the way the Glassmen are going with there show concepts. Fun and Entertaining.

ATTENTION ALL DRUMMERS..............................

THE BRIDGEMEN ARE LOOKING FOR A COUPLE SNARE DRUMMERS.....YOU THINK YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO PLAY A DENNIS DELUCIA BOOK ?

CAN YOU COMMIT TO ALL THE REHEARSALS AND SHOWS FOR THE SEASON ?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THE ABOVE QUESTIONS THAN BAYONNE, NJ IS THE PLACE FOR YOU THIS SUNDAY MARCH 1ST AT ST ANDREWS HALL AND 12:00 NOON !!!!!!!!!

EVEN IF YOUR NOT A SNARE, AND WANT A CHALLENGING DRUM BOOK, AND CAN MAKE THE COMMITMENT COME ON DOWN.......

RANKS WILL BE CLOSED SOON SO DONT WASTE TIME.....BE THERE..... YOU WONT BE SORRY I PROMISE.......

LET ME JUST SAY THE BOOK ISNT WATERED DOWN.....YOUR GOING TO BE CHALLENGED OVER AND OVER....BRING YOUR GAME CHOPS TO REHEARSAL :)

ATTENTION ALL DRUMMERS..............................

THE BRIDGEMEN ARE LOOKING FOR A COUPLE SNARE DRUMMERS.....YOU THINK YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO PLAY A DENNIS DELUCIA BOOK ?

CAN YOU COMMIT TO ALL THE REHEARSALS AND SHOWS FOR THE SEASON ?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THE ABOVE QUESTIONS THAN BAYONNE, NJ IS THE PLACE FOR YOU THIS SUNDAY MARCH 1ST AT ST ANDREWS HALL AND 12:00 NOON !!!!!!!!!

EVEN IF YOUR NOT A SNARE, AND WANT A CHALLENGING DRUM BOOK, AND CAN MAKE THE COMMITMENT COME ON DOWN.......

RANKS WILL BE CLOSED SOON SO DONT WASTE TIME.....BE THERE..... YOU WONT BE SORRY I PROMISE.......

LET ME JUST SAY THE BOOK ISNT WATERED DOWN.....YOUR GOING TO BE CHALLENGED OVER AND OVER....BRING YOUR GAME CHOPS TO REHEARSAL :)

this weekend you all....march 1st !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if it's needed, but it sure would be nice to have. It's always good to have something within the activity to put a mirror to it and say "Hey, look how ridiculous this can be." Even if it's something as wonderful as drum corps.