Carolina Crown Announces 2009 Program

Just to clarify a few points on DCP specifically, there are actually more than a thousand static users by far, armchair sampling while attending shows (for this very point) actually puts DCP users fairy mainstream in audience attitude (minus the extreme edges either direction), and DCI corps administrators have actually been quite supportive of DCP over the years. Yes, even Crown's.

I know, not exactly scientific, but that's the best we've got right now.

Mike

I didn't mean to imply that any specific corps directors don't like DCP, it's just my assumption that many wouldn't based off of a lot of the BS that is spouted off here daily. Obviously, I have no direct insight into what goes on in anyone's mind and can only use my best judgement, just as anyone else here.

Please try not to attach my opinions to anyone else.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, the opinions of people who post on the these forums in relation to the majority opinion of the public on drum corps in general does not gel well in most cases. Yes, narration is indisputably an issue for everyone, but this board is by no means a "scientifically accurate" sample of drum corps fans, and I will explain this specific point to you if you REALLY want me too, but I really don't feel like it, so just trust me on that one. If you asked any normal youth involved with the marching arts activities what he thought about, say, Carolina Crown, it wouldn't be loaded with much of the BS and jump-the-sharkitude that is found in this thread. Everyone is different, yes, but arguably, that youth's opinion is most likely the prevailing opinion of the public in general. After all, the children are the future, right? Oh yeah, I forgot, it isn't exactly natural for people to share their thoughts on things when they have exactly zero foresight or evidence supporting their opinions in question unless they are protected by the veil of anonymity on the internet.

I agree... but I also think any normal youth (high school band kid) will say that all the DCI shows that they saw were 'awesome'. However, I do not think you can say that "the youth's opinion is most likely the prevailing opinion of the public in general" anymore than you can say "that old guy's opinion is most likely the prevailing opinion of the public in general"

So yeah, I'm willing to bet corps directors hate the #### out of these forums, and are ###### off in general at the fact that these forums can mistakenly be viewed as an accurate poll of the thoughts of the drum corps community, simply because they are extremely accessible.

These forums are not here to be an accurate poll of thoughts of the drum corps community. They are here to fans who take the time to find it can share stories/ideas/anecdotes/thoughts on drum corps. If they are interpreted differently, that is the fault of the interpreter, IMO.

And actually I completely agree with you that they don't make announcements to see the reaction of everyone here, but they do make announcements in a way that prevents a release of too much information, which in turn creates a very confused and public response from people on this forum.

agreed.

cheers =)

and I am way jealous that you don't age out till 2014... that's a lot of years (except I think if I tried that many my body would've died)

Edited by soccerguy315

Crown has proven to me that they can take any concept and make it work.

I never thought that a show based on endings could work, but they pulled it

off brilliantly. I have full confidence they will do amazing things with this show.

I hope so too! I always look forward to seeing their shows.

This thread is a good reminder to me of why I don't spend too much time on DCP in the "off-season." LOL. I'm going to comment on the original point of the thread with my own 2 cents.

Let's start with the fact that I've absolutely LOVED every show Crown has done from 2003-2008. Every year they also prove my assumption wrong that they can't get better than they were the year before. I've enjoyed the themes they've presented, and appreciated how entertaining & accessible they were. None have come off as "cheesy" to me, either, but those, I suppose, are just my tastes.

One thing struck me as I read through this - I forgot, really, that there was even a supposed story line at all for the 2006 CC show - In.trance.it. And that is one of my favorite shows from Crown. I expect this year, based on what I agree is a pretty insipid show description, is going to be much the same. At the end of the day, it may be almost irrelevant to the enjoyment of another exciting, musically demanding, crowd-pleasing show by Crown. I've learned not to underestimate their creativity and talent at Crown & look forward to this summer. It would be easy for me to get sidetracked into a fear of a high-brown concept show that won't sell (as this description could easily yield on the field), but I seriously doubt, based on Crown's well-established track record, that they would ever do that.

Here's to, hopefully, yet another stellar product from Crown & another step forward competitively, with the majority of the crowd still firmly in their pocket!

(All of this from a true Phan who holds Regiment closest to his heart, by the way)

Harvey

With Crown's story lines, you have to be told what they are before you can really see them in the music.

Really??? I did know the story of Triple Crown and I thought it was very easy to understand. It was the story of a race horse - starting in the wild, being trainsed, and then being raced... I thought that was prett simple.

Really??? I did know the story of Triple Crown and I thought it was very easy to understand. It was the story of a race horse - starting in the wild, being trainsed, and then being raced... I thought that was pretty simple.

Had to.

Edited by Notorious T-U-B-A