Historical chat late 70s/early 80s

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to start up a dialog/seek out people for their insights into the late 1970s and early 1980s. I am currently compiling research for a history book about DCI. The book however is more than simply the history of the organization. It covers the corps prevalent at the time and all the people that contributed to the activity. I'm looking for personal stories, individual corps stories as well as people's perception of the activity and DCI at that time. The book will be much richer with some lively dialog. Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Nic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm available.

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to start up a dialog/seek out people for their insights into the late 1970s and early 1980s. I am currently compiling research for a history book about DCI. The book however is more than simply the history of the organization. It covers the corps prevalent at the time and all the people that contributed to the activity. I'm looking for personal stories, individual corps stories as well as people's perception of the activity and DCI at that time. The book will be much richer with some lively dialog. Thanks and hope to hear from you.

Nic

Nic, I don't know if you're familiar with the Drum Corps World history books (volume one has been sold out for five years).

Check out this site to see if your plans are different from what has already been published:

Drum Corps World History Books

Steve Vickers published some beautiful books earlier this decade (the first true drum corps history books since the 1966 Encyclopedia of Drum & Bugle Corps). Volume two, which is still available, has histories on the most famous corps that have been on the field since the 1920s. Each chapter was written by a different author, usually someone directly involved with that particular corps.

Drum Corps World is also coming out with another book very soon.

I was in three corps between 1975 and 1982, when there were so many corps competing at DCI you hadn't even heard of some of them. I would love to add what I can, too.

You could probably do a doctoral dissertation if you concentrated on just Don Angelica, Gale Royer, Don Warren, Don Pesceone, and C.H. Beebe.

You could probably do a doctoral dissertation if you concentrated on just Don Angelica, Gale Royer, Don Warren, Don Pesceone, and C.H. Beebe.

And lest we forget, Jim Jones.