Opinions on the high brass trophy

But I think it makes the most sense to standardize the mellophone mouthpiece.

I definitely agree with this.

Mellos + unmatched sound = TRAIN WRECK

When mellos are matched and well in tune, they sound great, but when they're all doing their own thing...*shudder*

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The brass Trophy really should be decided under the same terms as the Percussion trophy.

Right now brass score are able to vary so much from night to night becuase its a caption based completley on the sampling of what they happen to be infront of on that night on the field. This means that two different judges could be on the field judging the same thing and be in different places and come up with 2 totally varying scores based on what they heard from the particualr players infront of them at that point in time. The thing that is really dumb about all of this is that the percussion has 2 judges (field and box) listening to 30 ish percussionist from 2 different vantage points where as the brass gets one judge, that is on the field and therefor cant really judge the overall brass sound and on top of that is listening to 70+ players.

As for those who love crown, they sound great upstairs. But sit at field level and listen to them and then listen to Cavies BD and Regiment and then maybe you will understand why they have yet to win the Jim Ott trophy. Not to take anything away from them, but they just do not have the clarity on the field that these other corps have. In the box they may sound great becuase they can mask things from a distance, but when you are close enought to hear each indivdual player you will understand te difference between the ott trophy and not being a contender for it. The reason the won in Allentown is simple. The judge was in the right place at the right time where he heard the right people and not the wrong ones.

I still maintain that brass should be judged from both the field and the Box

A possible solution--

eliminate the music ensemble judge... you can move those categories to GE Music... because they all have to do with general effect anyway.. timing and blend and balance all have to do with GE.

The music performance caption will be 2 Brass judges and 2 Percussion judges.

Why should the ensemble sound of a brass section be included in it's score. And yes what happens on the field is very important also. I mean the reason for judging should be educational.. so field judges are really important, because that is where a lot of the educational comments come from when we are talking about individual playing techniques of both brass and percussion.

So basically I agree with what musicman above me has said. Both the brass and percussion trophies need to be decided on the field and in the box.

And the music ensemble caption is usually just bull anyway... you either get a judge who is a percussionist or a brass guy... usually a brass guy... so it's not a caption that is judged fairly... so just take it out of the mix anyway....

eliminate the music ensemble judge... you can move those categories to GE Music... because they all have to do with general effect anyway.. timing and blend and balance all have to do with GE.

I don't agree with that. Timing and ensemble cohesion are fundamentally execution issues. Yes, it has an impact on effect, but they are not one and the same by any means.

I don't know where I stand on the issue of a box brass judge, since as others have mentioned, it's on the field where the real quality of a line comes across in terms of uniform technique, note length and articulation. Yes, you can hear blatant errors from the box (see: Glassmen 2001), but blatant errors are rarely what makes the difference in that situation. More often than not it's an issue of simple uniformity that may not come across up top. I can't paint a good analogy between drum and brass judging because I'm not informed enough to compare them, but at the very least the field brass judge should hold more sway over the matter because he hears what's really going on.

I don't agree with that. Timing and ensemble cohesion are fundamentally execution issues. Yes, it has an impact on effect, but they are not one and the same by any means.

I don't know where I stand on the issue of a box brass judge, since as others have mentioned, it's on the field where the real quality of a line comes across in terms of uniform technique, note length and articulation. Yes, you can hear blatant errors from the box (see: Glassmen 2001), but blatant errors are rarely what makes the difference in that situation. More often than not it's an issue of simple uniformity that may not come across up top. I can't paint a good analogy between drum and brass judging because I'm not informed enough to compare them, but at the very least the field brass judge should hold more sway over the matter because he hears what's really going on.

I agree with what your saying when it comes to the field judge having more say... maybe have it 60/40 in favor of the field judge, maybe even 70/30. But I feel like the sound getting up to the box should be included in that score... because aren't we performing for what's in the stands, not for the green shirt on the field? Yes the field judge is very important.. especially when judging which line plays better...

on to the music ensemble thing... You can still judge the execution... when I say eliminate the ensemble judge... i mean just that title.. you can put the same thing under GE music. It would involve modifying the GE Music caption slightly.

Also the main reason for eliminating that caption is because of the addition of another brass judge... so we aren't getting too costly. And the first thing I would want to see go is music ensemble.

I agree with what your saying when it comes to the field judge having more say... maybe have it 60/40 in favor of the field judge, maybe even 70/30. But I feel like the sound getting up to the box should be included in that score... because aren't we performing for what's in the stands, not for the green shirt on the field?

Yes, but that's a false choice.

What makes you better in the eyes of the green shirt on the field will also make you better (qualitatively, not necessarily from an enjoyment perspective) to an observer in the stands.

Exactly. They're not mutually exclusive; it's that nitpicking that goes on at the micro level that makes the difference between two hornlines, not just the whole line sound in the box.

on to the music ensemble thing... You can still judge the execution... when I say eliminate the ensemble judge... i mean just that title.. you can put the same thing under GE music. It would involve modifying the GE Music caption slightly.

But it's not an issue of effect, it's an issue of execution. That's my point; changing the title changes the entire point of the judge.

I'd be thrilled to have two brass judges, but I understand now's not really the time.

I just wonder how much of the evaluation process is lost to the Doppler effect.

The brass Trophy really should be decided under the same terms as the Percussion trophy.

This is a great idea, but the "powers that be" have other plans.

I believe the Percussion caption will now have a field judge only. Percussion 2 - unfortunately eliminated.

it's on the field where the real quality of a line comes across in terms of uniform technique, note length and articulation.

This is not just in response to you, but the general idea here that I quoted.

I see the value in the field judge... however, do some people think that the trophy should be decided from the box, since that is what the fans hear? versus deciding it based on what nobody hears except the judge? Obviously you can pick more things up on the field, but if you can't hear those problems in the stands... are they really problems?

I dunno, I am just throwing something out there.