2009: The Year of the...

la mejor

Hey Mike!

So glad to hear you are using Mozart, that is music! Good luck at your debut..I'll be in Hawaii with Beth and Chris, hopwfully going to South Brunswick when we come back. :rolleyes:

Chris

Lucky!!!! Say hi to Beth and Chris for me - and we'll see you in South Brunswick!

Later,

Mike

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not agree more...I have been to a few local shows and watched the majority of the Regional finals on the WGI site. I am very bored...why are so many groups using such lame music?? Why oh why must we hear Over the Rainbow again??? Monotonous piano music??? There were about 10 shows I clicked on and after ten second turned off becuase I was bored...Can't anyone do an up tempo show?

I'm sorta glad I am not going to Dayton this year, I can nap at home...

Watch some YouTube and the WGI replay! Send In the Clowns? nameless pieces involving the word "ahh" being chanted for 4 minutes? I challenge you to find some true highpoints in these pieces. The wisdom of these designers is to create their own highpoints in these shows with absolutely no audio or emotional reasoning. That is World Class? that is just lame and uninspired. When will the judges find it in their wisdom to stop rewarding uninspired design. There are great performers out there doing lame shows. My friends, that is definitely a waste of talent.

rhetorical question?why do people scream inapplicably and shreik with approval after world class soloist perform the most banal A class skills? :thumbup:

Edited by dugg

I could not agree more!! The soundtracks so far are not much fun to listen to. Dare I say I'd rather more guards use the same great sound track in a season then everybody try to find one no one will use if it is not interesting to listen to. I'll take 5 Wild Horses over 2 obscure pieces that sound like a dentist drill. Rule of thumb for me is if I can't listen to it in my car over and over again I do not want to hear it over and over again in a gym. IMHO

oh no no no.

wild horses should have been done after carolina crown 2007.

it may be a good show, but people groan when it comes on.

im also a fan of the more upbeat soundtracks.

some guards are amazing, but just cant hold my attention the entire time.

and, 2009 is the year of white uniforms and/or long shirts/short dresses with leggings underneath.

rhetorical question?why do people scream inapplicably and shreik with approval after world class soloist perform the most banal A class skills? :thumbdown:

I shall try to answer your rhetorical question!

Perhaps because it's performed at a level that makes it more than the sum of it's parts?

Perhaps the audience just loves color guard?

Perhaps that audience does not properly stop to consider the class and it's expected appropriate skill set before rewarding the soloist accordingly? (Or unaccordingly I suppose)

Or, simply, perhaps the performer was a guy and the audience is full of high school girls. Put two and two together, and bam, screamtastic. (See also Northern Lights, Cavaliers)

Ahh, I see you made it more difficult for me, changing it from open class skills to A class skills. I don't know, perhaps an example of this phenomenon would help? More investigation needed on my part.

These days, anyways, I've seen A class soloists tossing 6's with turn arounds. So, is that what was meant, or did I just completely misunderstand?!

i know,it's absolutely horrible of me to begrudge joe punchclock and sally housecoat a chance to whoop and holler for their "team" for performing the most basic toss however i beleive that if you are competing in the world class and you are the focus of a solo moment then i would appreciate seeing work that is reflective of world class vocabulary.

..now i should go and take my medication.......

signed,ill-tempered in illinois

Edited by dugg

I think it is safe to say that the music licensing rules have definitely impacted some of the musical selections.

It's the first question people ask when discussing program choices - "Is it on the banned list??"

Have you looked at the link on the wgi website?? It's becoming longer every year!

I think people feel like it's better to pick something safe!

i beleive that if you are competing in the world class and you are the focus of a solo moment then i would appreciate seeing work that is reflective of world class vocabulary.

Ahhh, spoken like a true critic! Perhaps the issue then is that the audience is not critical enough.

In the end, though, I guess judges will reward accordingly.

Ahhh, spoken like a true critic! Perhaps the issue then is that the audience is not critical enough.

In the end, though, I guess judges will reward accordingly.

hmmmm....

I am certainly inclined to applaud when even a simple skill is executed extraordinarily well. And there's the crazy tricks and "holy crap did you see that" moments - that every Backyard Betty goes home from WGI trying in their backyard. However, the judging community should be able to recognize, appreciate, and reward skills with nuance and finesse. However, I am not finding this to be true.

Sometimes it seems some judges only reward the same things a 14 y.o. might feel most compelled to enjoy. Maybe we're all just a kid at heart...

yes although some guard have had quiet slow and intense dark shows, there are those few guards that are starting to stick out this year for example the blue devils open, they have quite an entertaining show this year, very different then most. :thumbdown: