Encore Pieces

I've realized that the Bluecoats don't (recently at least) play much else besides show music in encore. I wish there would be some variety you know? Each year we learn a few pieces, but we usually don't play them, probably because we spend time working on the show... but anyways, I was wondering if you enjoy hearing something new after the show, or if you would rather just listen to the corps go balls deep with the show music again.

Me? I like hearing reminders of old shows, like the Cadets playing Liquid RFL at the beginning of their encores this past summer. If anything will get the crowd's attention, THAT will. I was leaving the stands right before an encore of theirs, but as soon as Liquid rattled the bleachers, I went back in and found a seat real quick.

Just something I was mulling over in my head late at night, I guess.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there were time to learn them, I would hope most corps would have a handful of tunes to play for encores and parades that are not from their current show. For example, it would make sense for Troopers to be able to play Ghostriders, How the West Was Won, American Salute, Battle Hymn, and many more. I'd love to hear BD sink their teeth into some of their classic jazz tunes again. To make a comprehensive "encore and parade" wish list for all DCI corps would be an interesting project.

Send in the Clowns.

Thread over.

I could listen to Regiment play just about anything in their encore, but I'd love to hear them drag out Bacchanale in the future.

Cadets should think about pulling out a piece from their Les Mis show, or possibly reprise the big maestoso hit from their 2000 show. .......of course I could always listen to Cadillac of the Skies played a million times over.

Cavaliers - As the Bridegroom to his Chosen ...would love to hear this again

BD - I don't care as long as its loud!

SCV - Adagio for Strings....please!

Coats - Just play The Boxer over and over again.

Crown - So many great ballads....but I'd like to hear Seasons of Love again with 80 horns....sans the singing.

I could listen to Regiment play just about anything in their encore, but I'd love to hear them drag out Bacchanale in the future.

Cadets should think about pulling out a piece from their Les Mis show, or possibly reprise the big maestoso hit from their 2000 show.

oooOOOooo, i never thought about that maestoso hit. Dont the cadets already play something from the fast section of the 2000 show?...(it might have been a few years back) I really respect corps that take the time to actually put on a concert at their encore, rather than just playing the show. Phantom and Cadets are the two that stick out to me, but I really havent been at enough shows that have encores to get an opinion. Cavies had a cool jazz piece in their encore in 2005 that I enjoyed...other than that I dont know.

in 2007 we learned Sing Sing Sing and Bugler's Holiday, and last year we learned a Stevie Wonder song that for the life of me I can't remember the title of... But my point being that we would have played some very fun stuff that let us show off a bit. I just hope that we (like Phantom and Holy Name) will put on a concert instead of just repeating the show and a chorale.

But after everything, playing Autumn Leaves is always magical.

I could listen to Regiment play just about anything in their encore, but I'd love to hear them drag out Bacchanale in the future

agree 100%. I love me some Bacchanale.

If there were time to learn them, I would hope most corps would have a handful of tunes to play for encores and parades that are not from their current show. For example, it would make sense for Troopers to be able to play Ghostriders, How the West Was Won, American Salute, Battle Hymn, and many more. I'd love to hear BD sink their teeth into some of their classic jazz tunes again. To make a comprehensive "encore and parade" wish list for all DCI corps would be an interesting project.

I was in Lincoln, NE last year for a small show. On top of it being small, one Corps had trouble getting there. It was announced that all of the participating Corps would do an encore since that one Corps that had trouble getting there and had not performed. Troopers were at this show. The DM slow walked just the horn line into an arc. As I recall, they played Battle Hymn Chorale, executed a left face and slow walked right back out. They rarely get to do encore's, but this was a simple and beautiful piece that made a statement, as did the entrance and exit. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

I was in Lincoln, NE last year for a small show. On top of it being small, one Corps had trouble getting there. It was announced that all of the participating Corps would do an encore since that one Corps that had trouble getting there and had not performed. Troopers were at this show. The DM slow walked just the horn line into an arc. As I recall, they played Battle Hymn Chorale, executed a left face and slow walked right back out. They rarely get to do encore's, but this was a simple and beautiful piece that made a statement, as did the entrance and exit. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Thank you for this story!